Skip navigation
channantphoto
Currently Being Moderated

Images not appearing as RAW

Jan 26, 2012 7:06 AM

Tags: #profile #color #not #bridge #reading #loading #contrast #saturation

Hello!  I've done quite a bit of searching for a solution to this issue but haven't found any matches to my exact problem so far.  When I open up new files from my CF card in Bridge CS5.5, as they are loading they appear as they should in accordance with the custom profile I have set to my camera (5D Mark II) which is less contrasty and pretty desaturated.  However, when the image loads completely and appears in focus, there is suddently a lot more contrast and saturation and looks nothing like it does on my camera's LCD, as if it is ignoring my custom profile and setting it to the camera's "standard" profile which I despise.  This is the same when I open it in Photoshop's Camera RAW.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 26, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to channantphoto

This is the same when I open it in Photoshop's Camera RAW.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

You would benefit from a little study about Raw and using it. There are a lot of tutorials on the web and some very good books like Real World Camera Raw.

Don't want to go in on the subject because there is far to much to tell.

But bottom line is, what you see on the back of your camera display is an in camera produced jpeg impression of the Raw file and not the raw file itself, you can't view Raw on a camera itself, nor on displays of image tanks etc unless you use a raw converter to translate the data into colors.

In ACR you can set the colors, exposure and much more to what ever you like or want. If you find some settings always to be changed you can set them once and apply as default setting (or even more different settings that you can easy apply).

The benefit of using Raw is that you are able to get the most out of it using a Raw converter. The downside of this is that you need to know what you are doing and for that you need to gain knowledge and experience with Raw and Raw converting software.

It is not very difficult to get to understand the basics, just put some effort in it and you will find you can get great results with Raw. If you have no need for that just stick with jpeg.

in summary:

Raw is the data the sensor of your dslr captured when you pushed the shutter.

jpeg is an in camera conversion of that data and compresses the file (depending on your jpeg quality settings)

You can edit jpeg also in ACR but with more limitation before changes start looking funny or weird.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 27, 2012 1:23 AM   in reply to channantphoto

As soon as they are opened in Bridge, they are way more contrasty and over-saturated.  The weird thing is that when they are loading in Bridge, they look correct, it is only when they are fully loaded that they look like Canon's standard picture style.

OK, I misunderstood your first post, it looks like you have set the auto tone adjustments to on.

Can you check the camera Raw preferences in Bridge (menu Adobe Bridge / Camera Preferences) and inhere check in the 'default images Settings' there is a checkmark in front of 'apply auto tone adjustments'. If so uncheck it and try again. You may have to purge the cache first to see the result.

Can you report back on this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 27, 2012 2:10 AM   in reply to channantphoto

Yes, I thought this may be the problem however the box is not checked...it certainly seems to be some kind of auto adjustment though...

Might have been to easy...

Try a reset of the Bridge Prefs by holding down option key and choose reset preferences and just to be secure, also us a purge cache for folder to see if that again might help (menu tools/cache/purge cache for folder)

And you might also try to do this for the cache in Camera Raw preferences.

And if you have not done so already save the customized default settings in ACR and revert to the ACR default to see if that might help.

Maybe you can provide a screenshot from the wrongly adjusted thumbnails?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 27, 2012 3:29 AM   in reply to channantphoto

The second is after it has fully loaded and Bridge decides to make its own adjustments.  Hopefully this will shed some light on the problem!

Hi Chris, Have to run but after a short glimpse I don't see much strange things. The first is the typical Raw Thumbnail as about seen in the lowest quality setting, this before building the cache. After the cache has been build the ACR settings are applied. When first ingest the files it takes the default saved setting from ACR. did you try to set it back to Camera Raw defaults, for this select a thumbnail and first duplicate it (Edit/ duplicate) and then select the duplicated file and with right mouse click from the menu choose / develop settings / Camera Raw Defaults. See if this gives a different result compared to the original.

Off on the road, will check your response later

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points