johnprice1301
Currently Being Moderated

what product replaces Distiller?

Jan 26, 2012 11:31 AM

what product replaces Distiller?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to johnprice1301

Why want you replace Acrobat Distiller Server?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to johnprice1301

Are you concerned about Adobe stopping developement? Just because it won't be developed further doesn't mean that it can't continue to be used - or that it won't continue to be sold.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to James Wilson

Currently, I’m using Adobe Pro 8.3.1 (30 Aug 2011), almost solely to use Distiller to convert some PostScript to PDF. That Distiller has bugs, such when distilling

%!

0.96 setlinewidth 1 setlinejoin 0 setlinecap 0 setgray
    /Times-Bold 48 selectfont
    36 36 moveto  36 36 rlineto
    (Test String) true charpath
    stroke
    showpage

1. Is this fixed in Pro 11? Are any other of the Distiller’s interpreter’s bugs and inefficiencies fixed? (E.g., forms executed twice rather than once.)

2. Is “it won't be developed further” an official Adobe statement? Source please? And does it mean that unfixed bugs will stay unfixed?

3. Hence, in a broader sense, is there any point in my buying Adobe Pro 11? If yes, what?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to jdaw1

Many of these question have been answered by www.adobe.com/products/distiller-server/faq.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to jdaw1

Distiller has not been discontinued AT ALL. Distiller Server has stopped development, but Acrobat Pro 11, released a couple of weeks ago, contains Distiller 11.

If you want to ask questions about THAT Distiller I recommend the Acrobat > Creating and Editing PDF forum.

You don't describe the bug corresponding to your PostScript fragment, but I see that Distiller 8 loses the first line segment. Distiller 9, available with Acrobat 9 more than four years now, fixes that...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Thank you for the report on Distiller 9. You have correctly observed the bug, and it being fixed in v9 is most helpful. Maybe I should pay for 11.

All that remains is to persuade Adobe that, sometimes, people move country. (A company selling marketing software does not allow its customers to change their address to a different country!)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points