Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 text wrap fails randomly

Jan 7, 2011 7:04 AM

I've noticed in any and all of my CS5 documents a seemingly random failure of text wrap. Sometimes I will open documents that contain text wraps and some wrapped objects are being ignored, and the text has reflowed as if the object does not have a text wrap on it. If I select the object and bump it one way and then back, the wrap reestablishes. This becomes a serious problem if I'm opening a multiple-page document to print or export it to PDF and there is a random text wrap failure on a page that I'm not looking at. This does not occur to all text wraps in a document--just random ones. I can't figure out why the wrap failure occurs and bumping the object fixes it, but if I'm working on a lot of documents that contain a lot of text wraps (which I do), this unexpected failure can cause a lot of problems when printing for editors or exporting final PDFs for printers. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I'm on a Mac OS 10.5.8 and ID CS5 is up to date.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I don't remember anyone else mentioning this. I guess start with the standard trash the prefs and export a doc that does this to .idml and see if it goes away. Anythird party plugins? Font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 7:42 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I'm not familiar with Pro Scale. Can you live without it temporarily? Barcode Maker is on a lot of systems and is not, as far as I know, known to be a troublemaker, nor the APID Tool Assist, so I'd leave those active for the moment. Since the Kindle plugin isn't workiing anyway, that's the first thing to remove.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:32 AM   in reply to E Diane King

And do you use a font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I don't know about UTC, either, but their early Suitcase auto-activation plugins have a history of bad behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 5:03 PM   in reply to E Diane King

Is 'text wrap only affects text beneath' option checked in pref/composition?

Also, there is an option for wrap of items on master pages: 'Apply To Master Page Only' from the text wrap panel pullout menu.

Besides that, I have seen a quirk before (CS3) where I had deleted a frame with text wrap, but the wrap remained. Exporting to .inx or copy/paste-in-place to a new file fixed it then.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2011 5:25 AM   in reply to E Diane King

Did these files start in CS5 or are they conversions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2011 6:10 AM   in reply to E Diane King

If some are fresh it probably isn't related to conversion, but for what it's worth there have been enough reports of strange behavior with legacy conversions in CS5 that I no longer open early version .indd for conversion, but instead open inthe original version and export to .inx (even from CS4) and convert that in CS5. So far I've not found any problems.

Not that that helps your situation in the slightest.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to E Diane King

@E Diane King,

I emailed you offline with a request for an example file I can use for investigation.

Sincerely,

Matthew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 2:35 PM   in reply to Matthew Laun

With Diane's help, I have a reproducible case submitted to the ID Development team for investigation. With luck, that will lead to a fix. Thank you Diane!

Sincerely,

Matthew

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2011 9:17 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I too am having the text wrap issue. (Of course on a night when all the documents--and there are many--are to ship to the printer.) The only change I made was to the pagination of the first page of the document. Not even from recto to verso, just from one odd number to another. After making that one change, the text wraps randomly changed on many of the items in the document.

I think I may have discovered a solution just now--after making any change at all to the document (in this case just a page number) it's as if the master page is being reapplied. In my case, there is a spread where there is a complex text box on the master page that has been enlarged/or shrunk on each actual page and the text is linked to this box.

After applying the page number (changing from page 1 to page 15) the text is gone from parts of the pages as though a wrap is being applied. And it is! It is being applied from the box on the master page that is no longer being used. When I delete the box, the problem goes away.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 1:18 PM   in reply to E Diane King

I found one of the possible causes of that bug: span columns settings.

I had similar problem except that mine occured after altering styles that were used  succesfully long before. And after comparing two boxes one of which behaved properly and another one with not-always-working-text-wrap, the only difference was this. When I changed it to Single Column, the trouble vanished. Lucky me there was no need of spanning.

Nevertheless, the bug is consistent: span columns + text wrap is quite unstable.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to E Diane King

E Diane King wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Though the sample that I gave to Adobe did not contain actual spanning, one of the styles on the page was set to span if the story had been multi-column--which it wasn't.

Exactly, the frame in my case also was not multy-column. That's why I could get rid of this setting.

However, I would just say Text Spanning is unstable. Add to the spanning equation anything like tables, or text wraps, embedded graphics, etc., and ID becomes very unstable. Hopefully, the next release of ID will have a more stable version of Text Spanning.

Hope so. Just now I also found out that fitting gets disabled for frames with spanned paragraphs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 3:47 PM   in reply to E Diane King

All,

Though, with the help of Diane, we have a file that demonstrates the problem, we are having difficulty determining how the problem is introduced. If anyone has additional information about changes to the document prior to when you frist see the issue, that might be of great help.

Sincerely,

Matthew

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to kapooostin

Exactly what I've found. Span columns + text wrap = bad relationship.

Thanks for the help.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 6:15 AM   in reply to Matthew Laun

I have an offending file currently open. Let me know what needs to be done to submit

this for review.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 5:53 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I have this problem also, quite regularly, in both CS5 and CS5.5.  As far as I can tell, it happens reproducibly when a paragraph with span columns applied is shifted (either by adding more text above it or by changing the size of the text frame) onto the following page where there is a frame with text wrap applied.  These may not be the only conditions under which it occurs, but it's quite reproducible if you set it up like that.

I can supply a bare-bones, freshly created InDesign file showing this problem if anyone wants it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to E Diane King

Was there any update to this problem? Was Matthew able to identify the cause of the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to allisonblake

Haven't heard anything more since last summer. If there was a fix, it would have most likley been included in the CS5.5 upgrade. There hasn't been any newly released patch for CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I am still having this problem in CS5, for what it's worth.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to John McCustion

It's still there in CS5.5 too. I sent Matthew my file back in August, but haven't heard anything more. I don't know if he's still looking for examples?

In the meantime, I've seriously scaled back my use of span columns. Which is a pity, as the 'space before/after span' feature is great for consistently spacing a group of paragraphs of a particular style (e.g. bullet lists) apart from the rest of the text, even when you're not using multiple columns. Would love to see this fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 2:35 AM   in reply to Rhiannon Miller

I've got CS5-5 too. It's driving me mad. I'm no expert but I've been using the program for a number of years to design flyers, brochures, posters and short booklets. Now I'm on my first magazine and I thought all the new balanced paragraph features would make the job a breeze - it hasn't! So, I have an A4 sized page with a two columned text frame that fills it (also have text flowing onto next page if that's relevant). Body text is 10pt with 12pt leading. All good so far. I used balanced paragraphs at first to have the two columns of text lining up horizontally. Looked good. However, as soon as I drop an image into the mix, the width of a  column (bottom left of page), simple text wrap, the text changes in  a most unsatisfactory way. Text above will not come down to meet the top of the image no matter what  I put in the text wrap measurements or which type of wrap I use. Also the text to the right of the image no longer goes down to the bottom of the text frame.

I then turned off the balanced paragraphs feature and used a baseline grid instead, taking up several of the suggestions in this forum and also using advice elsewhere on the net. Useful in a sense as it helped me to learn more about what the grid does but I am still left with my problem.

I may be wrong but I don't think I'm asking the program to do anything complicated. It's not as if the text has to wrap all round the object. I know I could achieve the effect I want by using single column text frames and getting the text to flow from one to the other but surely this isn't how it should be? If you like I can send screen shots but I'm not sure that would help. I'm writing this in the morning in the UK so I know many of you will still be sleeping. However, as soon as you've had your first coffee of the day, perhaps you could give me a bit of help? Needless to say, any advice anyone could offer would be very gratefully accepted.

Best wishes to all,

John

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to ickledotuk

This seems to be a different problem from the one we're all talking about. Your text is still wrapping around your object, isn't it? just not correctly. We're talking about a problem where the text wrap is ignored entirely. If you start a separate thread, we can discuss your problem there. I don't mean to seem rude, but I want to make sure Adobe knows and remembers that this specific bug is genuine, and I fear that diluting this discussion with other problems or bugs will get in the way of that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Rhiannon Miller

Hello Rhiannon and Diane

Thank you for you speedy replies and, now you have pointed it out, I can see the difference between your issue and the one I have highlighted. I'll do as you suggest and start a new thread. In the meantime, best wishes with your quest to have your problem acknowledged and solved.

Best wishes

John

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to E Diane King

E Diane King wrote:

I believe that none of the more helpful forum pros follow it anymore because they can't help us with the bug.

I'd like to think I'm one of those "more helpful pros" and I'm still here, but you're right about not being able to do anything more. Bugs are not something we mere users can fix, only work around, and I have no better solutions to offer for that.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points