Skip navigation

An error occurred when attempting to change modules.

Jan 10, 2012 9:30 AM

Latest reply: Julie McLeod, Jan 31, 2012 2:20 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to p.roehl

I'm glad this worked out for everyone! It's great to be finally able to use the book module as it seems to be pretty cool. I figured it had to be something in the user library as it works fine in a new user and yet, in my own user it wasn't working, even with a clean install and a new Lightroom folder in the application support folder. I was going through items in the Library folder when I remember seeing this problem on a friends computer with some other software years ago. Some fonts are missing characters and and I thin that is possibly what's causing it. I'm not sure. I know in my case it was a free font that was the cause of the problem, and it was missing characters. God knows, but hopefully this will help the developers isolate the issue for future versions.

By the way, the book module is awesome. Good work Adobe!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to fxgeek

Holy cow. I feel so much less bad that I couldn't figure out what was causing this load failure.

As for the inquiry as to why Lightroom 4 is more sensitive to fonts, the Book module uses additional Adobe text components (the same one used in some other products; this is why you have a bunch of typographical control like kerning and leading and such via the text panel in Book) that we haven't used in previous versions. I'm going to ask the devs internally what we might be able to do to bulletproof against dodgy fonts (minimally making the message better and hopefully letting the module load successfully even in the face of whatever error is occurring here). I'll also ask whether I should collect them and file bugs against the component so it will either (a) read them with no problems or (b) ignore them if it can't use them.

Great work getting to the bottom of this one, sorry I couldn't be of more help figuring it out! Hopefully, I can put this revelation to good use and save customers the pain you patient folks went through.

Thanks! -- DT

P.S. If at least one person would send me one of their poison Fonts, I'd be very interested to try to reproduce this condition internally so I can be more sure when evaluating potential fixes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan,

I've just emailed you my poison font.

Thanks so the additional information on why Lightroom 4 can't play nice with a font that previous versions liked.  And thanks very much for all your effort in trying to figure out the cause of this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Hi Dan,

Sent my corrupt font as well...

Thanks,

Kimberly Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to shawn moore

This has already been fixed.

I also verified that all the fonts mentioned here* not only don't kill the Book module, but are also usable in it.

Thanks!

*I tested aescrawl.ttf, cafenorden.ttf, and My Mom s Font.ttf - if I missed one (or more), please let me know, and I'll confirm that one for you, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to max.wendt

I don't understand that message, Max.   Are you saying that this module changing error was not reproducible on the developer end with these fonts in the user font library?  Or are you saying that the issue has been fixed for the final release so that those fonts will be useable?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Sorry I wasn't clear - this has been fixed for the final release, and the fonts are usable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

The latter. There was a fix for how fonts were processed in the code that was fixed. We just didn't make the connection to realize that was the bug that was biting those on this thread. I'm going to roll back to the beta build and make sure I can repro the bug with the fonts I've been sent.

I'm also going to try to use that repro to see if there's something we should tweak to make failures in that vicinity easier to diagnose.

The final version of Lightroom 4 should be able to use those fonts.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to DanTull

Thanks Dan and Max.  Appreciate hearing that this will be solved in the final release. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to DanTull

Yep, these fonts definitely make the beta fail to open and the log is conspicuously short on useful diagnostic output but does resemble the logs that various folks sent me, so I think we got our bug  and it's dead.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to shawn moore

The problem isn't caused by missing characters; look for fonts with names containing characters other than 0-9 and a-z.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to max.wendt

Hi Max,

What was the problem with aescrawl.ttf and cafenorden.ttf?  They don't seem to have anything other than 0-9 and a-z in their names.

I have many fonts that contain dashes and underscores in their names as well as one with an exclamation point and apostrope.  None of these seemed to trigger the module changing error. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Sorry - I mean the display name, not the file name.

Those fonts show up as "Ænigma Scrawl (BRK)" and "Café Norden" - it was the 'Æ' and the 'é' that were not getting handled properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to max.wendt

Okay, thanks.  I understand now.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)