Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Paste as metafile into AI?

Jan 25, 2012 11:10 AM

Tags: #paste #metafile

I searched the forum, but couldn't find the answer to this question. I am trying to paste a graphic from another piece of software (Mathcad, although I don't think that matters). When I paste it into AI it is corrupted. If I paste it into Word using "Paste Special", "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)" I see exactly the same problem. However, if I paste into Word using "Paste Special", "Picture", it's fine. Similarly, if I paste into CorelDraw as an enhanced metafile it's corrupted, but if I paste as a metafile it's fine. So is there some way tp paste into AI as a metafile?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to rijackson741

I would try placing in Word and saving as PDF. Then open or place PDF in AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to rijackson741

Have you tried opening the metafile in AI? Should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to rijackson741

Screen Shot 2012-01-25 at 9.15.31 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to rijackson741

How about exporting it from MathCad as a metafile or as a PDF and placing either format? I do this from various applications and it normally works fine.

fwiw, I can copy/paste into AI and if it is text, it is pasted as text. If it is a vector format, that's what comes in. But there isn't, as far as I know, a way to choose what format to paste in AI.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to rijackson741

Let's try it again

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 12.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 12.07.21 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to rijackson741

Is it possible to get one of the PDFs? You would likely need to upload it and provide a link.

There are clipboard viewer that can save out as metafiles. Don't know if that would work for you or not as i have never used one.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to rijackson741

Edit

I apologize I have a problem from an old head injury that sometimes makes it impossible to get the right word so I get the word I can that is closest to it.

I see I misread Metafile for Metadata, I it just recorded properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to rijackson741

rijackson741 wrote:

How about exporting it from MathCad as a metafile or as a PDF and placing either format?

I can print to a pdf. I tried this using CutePDF, and although the graphics look fine in Adobe Reader when I import to AI it has problems with the fonts (which is just stock Tahoma, so I can't imagine why). I'll try some other print options, and see if I can make it work this way though.

I don't know if this will help, but, to get around font issues in a PDF:

Open a blank document in Illustrator

Go to File  >  Place

Select the PDF file and make sure the LINK box is checked (in the bottom left corner of the Place Dialog Box)

Click PLACE (bottom right corner) to place the file.

Go to Object  >  Flatten Transparency

Make sure the CONVERT ALL TEXT TO OUTLINES box is checked.

Click OK

The result may be one big clipping mask. If so, go to Object  >  Clipping Mask  >  Release

To get at the individual objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to rijackson741

What version of AI are you using? If CS5 or CS5.1, then just use Select>Same Stroke Color and Cmd(Ctrl)-J to Join the small pieces into a single line. Then use Object>Path>Simplify with a 98% curve accuracy to reduce the number of anchor points in the line. When I did this it reduced the 2 lines from +1900 points to 112. As for the font, just reset in a font you have on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to rijackson741

Having to use the clipboard is kinda low-tech to get your images out of MathCad ... Are you sure it doesn't have an Export  Image option anywhere?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to rijackson741

Are you on a PC? In that case you could use these plugins: http://www.ika.ethz.ch/plugins/index.html

One of them is a Path-Join-Function that joins paths based on their appearances. So no need to select them first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points