Skip navigation
brussellsprouts
Currently Being Moderated

Playing Videos - Shockwave and Flash issues

Jan 30, 2012 11:23 PM

I'm at wits end. I've been troubleshooting for about 4 days to get the Adobe TV instructional videos and the Layersmagazine.com videos to play.

Windows 7, 64-bit & 32-bit.

Browsers: IE 9 32-bit, IE 9 64-bit, Firefox 9

Java ver 6, update 30

Adobe Flash 11.1.102.55

Adove Shockwave (see below)

I have followed Adobe's & Microsoft's troublshooting guides for resolving Flash issues, and have read multiple forums suggestions:

• updated via IE 64-bit for my system
  • installed as Administrator
  • uninstalled, and reinstalled...
  • turned off virus-checker while installing
  • checked Active X status (enabled)
  • checked the Internet Options security Active X scripts
  • checked the IE9 compatibility view
  • checked the Firefox plugins

The Adobe Flash site checker shows that my Flash is working, however, (most) videos I mentioned still do not run in any of my browsers - it just sits there and spins without starting.

Now I'm thinking, Maybe it's a Shockwave issue. I encountered several issues in the Adobe Shockwave section:

1. I browsed Adobe's 'Help/Search' page & searched on "Shockwave". I clicked on the 'Get Support' link, then 'Troubleshoot SWP for Windows'. Somewhere in there Shockwave downloaded itself. I didn't click on Download.

2. Adobe said after downloading (via IE 32-bit) it should be in "C:\Windows\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11" - but it wasn't located there. I finally found it in "C:\Windows\sysWOW64\Adobe\Shockwave 11"

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/884/cpsid_88402.html. So the 32-bit program, accessed from IE 32-bit, loaded itself in my 64-bit system folder - that seems like a problem to me.

3. When I actually clicked on the 'Download Shockwave' (11.6.3.633) button from this page http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/  nothing happened (several times).

I suppose the graphics card (ATI Radeon 5800 series) could be it, but I really doubt it, my system is brand new.

Help please. THANKS!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to brussellsprouts

Not sure if you have a Flash Player problem, or a Shockwave Player problem.  Please post a URL where you actually encounter the problem.

You mention the graphics card at the end of your post; what driver version and date do you have?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to brussellsprouts

Absolutely agree with you and it's driving me crazy as well. Something happened on or around the 27th Jan that has seriously snafu'ed Adobe Shockwave. Since that point, I have very similar issues with not being able to run certain (but not all) Shockwave applications within browsers... I'm on XP 32 bit SP3 and get identical reports of DCR errors with IE8, Firefox, Chrome and even Opera.

I've done everything you have - used Adobe's discrete uninstallers to remove both Shockwave and Flash and then re-installed (trying both Slim and allegedly Full re-installers, though it's darn hard to find a Full Version re-installer), run system rollbacks, even uninstalled and re-installed IE8, made sure all the permissions were correctly set, even flushed my DNS cache etc etc. All I am sure of is that it's very definitely a browser-independant issue.

What struck a chord with me in your post was the bit about not seeing an animated image after re-installing Shockwave. Whenever I go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ all I also get is a static graphic telling me that my version is the latest (11.6.3r633) and no animation at all. That strikes me as a little weird.

Something's gone on that's caused an ongoing hiccup, that's for sure...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to brussellsprouts

brussellsprouts wrote:

What I can not see:

Do you see anything moving if you move the pointer over the Create  See  About boxes?

brussellsprouts wrote:

These are both Flash videos; please post in the Flash Player forum if you have problems with that player.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to davidh12345

davidh12345 wrote:

it's darn hard to find a Full Version re-installer...

Not really: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

@ Pat Willener... yes it really is hard to find a full Shockwave installer.

The link you provided does indeed apparently allow you to choose a Windows Full Installer. However when you select this Full Installer, you're simply taken to the standard http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/ page, where the only option offered is to download the 6.32MB Slim Installer. I think sections of the Adobe website could do with a serious make-over because they are littered with errors, pretty confused and therefore pretty confusing.

For example, when I visit the "Test Shockwave" page, if my install has been successful, am I meant to see an "animation playing below the labeled box" as the web page text says I should (and as used to be the case, I believe), or should I just see the static version box reporting my version number?

Anyhow, despite numerous uninstalls and re-installs, my DCR error problems still persist with no sign of resolution...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to davidh12345

Full installer (executable)

Full installer (msi)

Added link to MSI

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to Sean_Wilson

Just a short clarification which might help.

First there is no shockwave for any 64 bit browser so don't expect it to work in one. Adobe say you must install a 32 bit browser (I appreciate you have one).

The Shockwave animation on the test page only work when you Mouse-over the yellow graphic otherwise it is static.

In order to access the full installers for Air, Flash and Shockwave you have to first register for a license with Adobe which last for a year which is why they are difficult to find on the open net.

Flash has 4 installers. 2 in 32 bit and 2 in 64 bit.

32 bit Plugin for Firefox etc

32 bit activeX for Internet Explorer 32 bit

64 bit Plugin for Firefox etc

64 bit ActiveX for Internet Explorer 64 bit

Sorry if I am telling you things you already know but it is a little vague in earlier posts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points