Skip navigation
the-mouse-house
Currently Being Moderated

Newbie to colour management- help!!

Jan 31, 2012 12:51 AM

Tags: #color-management

Hi guys, I'm a completely clueless newbie to colour management and am pretty much tearing my hair out in frustration and confusion... an advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I've made a poster using a color somewhat close to 'Tiffany Blue'... turquoise, slightly on the green side. The default embedded profile is sRGB. I'm worried as to how the final product is going to look in print because when I changed my monitor color display profile from the default LCD Color to sRGB, the color comes out, well, just blue. Am I right to say that setting my monitor display to sRGB will also show me more or less the results I will get in print by using sRGB?

What's the best way for me to attain the turquiose-green color I was aiming for?

Many thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to the-mouse-house

No, the document profile and the monitor profile are two different animals, serving two different purposes. They should not be the same, under any circumstances, because each describes a different color space.

The sRGB profile in your document defines the colors in an absolute sense. Or said another way, the file is in the sRGB color space.

Your monitor has a different color space. To display correctly, the RGB numbers need to be translated into that color space. So you have a monitor profile that describes the monitor color space.

This translation is what color management does, by converting from one profile to another, thereby preserving the color appearance. Color management is about preserving color intent across different spaces and devices.

So you can see where this is headed: you need a monitor profile that accurately describes your particular monitor. If you calibrate and profile your monitor you will get that. If you don't, you will need to find the closest match. I don't know how close the "LCD Color" profile is, there's no way for me to know, but if it's the best you have use that. But let me stress this: if you want to see accurate color on screen, you need to get a calibrator to make a custom profile.

---

Then the same goes for the print. I don't know how it's going to be printed, but the same principle applies: you (or the printer) need to have an accurate profile for the printing process.

If all these profiles are good, the print will match what you see on screen.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 5:25 AM   in reply to the-mouse-house

Yes, no printer really prints white. White is just something like a null on printers. Also, you should take into consideration the color gamut.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to twenty_one

I am a newbie too and trying to understand your answers and apply them but they are mostly either flying way above my head or I am just not able to connect them to the Photoshop dialogs in front of me.

Let me ask my extended question in very practical terms:

I have calibrated my monitor and filed the monitor profile.

I have edited my image and I like the look of it and I want to print it on fine art quality paper.  I have downloaded and installed the ICC profile for my combination of printer and paper from the paper manufacturer (Hahnemuhle).

I read from elsewhere that I should go to 'Edit/Convert to Profile' and select  the ICC profile that I downloaded.  I am not sure what this step means as I seem to be getting the same question in the next step too, but I do it anyway.

Now I want to print.  I select 'File/Print'.  In there I select 'Photoshop Manages Colors'.  As directed I go to Printer Setup/Print settings and in the Canon MG6150 print settings I set for 'Manual Color/Intensity Management' and check that all the adjustments are set to zero.

Finally I come back to the Photoshop Print Management dialog.  It asks for the Printer Profile. 

Now here is my question.  Do I select the default profile that points to my printer or do i use the ICC profile that I downloaded which describes the printer/paper combination?

I am puzzled as to whether, in effect, it is asking me to identify the printer driver through the default printer profile or whether it wants me to to tell it again the name of the ICC profile that I told it earlier under 'Edit/Convert to Profile'?

Somebody help please.  What have I misunderstood?  I am confused

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to PundaMaliaMzee

In Photoshop > Print dialog, select your printer ( CanonMG6150 ) > Printer Manages Color > in the paper selection drop down menu, select the paper profile you downloaded.  When you did Edit > Convert to Profile in Photoshop, it established the print path and you may have noticed a slight shift in the screen image on your computer.  This allows for somewhat of a way of softproofing the image and how it may appear when printed.

k

When I print using Photoshop I have all of the color worspace, which by the way, includes the print path,too, included in my color settings in Photoshop.

Screen shot 2013-05-31 at 05-31-13 ◊ 9.23.41 PM.png

I hope you can see the CMYK workspace is: US Sheetfed Coated v2.  In the print dialog I use, I set Printer Manages Color.  In the print dialog, I select the paper that is appropriate for the file, usually a coated proofing sheet

Screen shot 2013-05-31 at 05-31-13 ◊ 9.25.26 PM.png

and I select the RGB origin space as Adobe RGB in the Print dialog box under Printer Settings.

You might want to take a step back and try to visualize what I am saying.  You should start with your Photoshop Color Settings first ( as seen in the top screen shot ).  Set your work space there and select "honor embedded profiles".  These setting go with your file to the print driver.

Then, in the Photoshop > Print dialogs, select Printer Manages Color.  In the Print dialog, input or select the same CMYK workspace you set in your Color Settings in Photoshop.  Further in the Print dialog, set the same RGB workspace you have in your Photoshop Color Settings ( I use Adobe RGB ). In the Printer Settings in the Print dialogs, you should find your paper profile in the paper selection section > then hit the Print button.

You may be becoming confused about Color Setting workspace vs. Print Settings where you select the paper profile, not Photoshop.

So, try it and see if it makes sense.  Start with setting the workspaces in Photoshop.  I do not think it is necessary to Convert to Profile in Photoshop, but whatever RGB you choose in Photoshop's workspace could affect your print.  So, I recommend Adobe RGB, leave sRGB for later when you want to compare the two ( if necessary ).

In the Print dialog in Photoshop, set Printer Manages Color ( because the profile you downloaded is for your printer ).  Set the document RGB to match your Color Setting ( Adobe RGB ) .  In the Printer Settings in the Print dialog, select the paper profile you downloaded, it should be in the drop down menus.

Color Management is not easy to understand and implement.  But, if you indeed did install the profile, you should find it in the paper selection dialog in the Print dialogs.  The key is that profile was built for your printer and for that particular paper you bought for the explicit purpose of printing this Photoshop file.  By Converting to Profile and selecting that print/paper profile in Photoshop, you risk double color management.  I prefer to work in Photoshop using industry standard workspaces and honoring those workspaces in the Print process.  Now, when I select a paper in my Print dialogs, I select whatever is appropriate for the paper I am printing to.  I may not have a specific profile to choose, but I can select from the list I do have and it works.

I hope this helps.  Let me know how it works out for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points