• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to relink all the image after moving the folders?

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of illustrator files in folder A and each file has tons of images from different folders (B, C, D...). All of these folders are inside a main root folder.

Recently I moved this root folder to an external drive then all the illustrator files disconnect with the images. Is there any way to relink all of those images all together instead of relink them one by one?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

open you AI file, when you get the "Could not find the linked file ABC...." dialog,

- check "Apply to All" check box

- click on "Repair" button

- browse to where the new ABC file is

All images should be relinked automatically

You would need to repeat that for each AI file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One quick way to do this is to put the Illustrator file in the same folder as the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but then does it mean I not only have to relink everything but also have to gather all the images from different folders and put them in the same folder as the ai files? The images are from at least 20 different folders and there are more than a hundred of images in these 20 ai files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open you AI file, when you get the "Could not find the linked file ABC...." dialog,

- check "Apply to All" check box

- click on "Repair" button

- browse to where the new ABC file is

All images should be relinked automatically

You would need to repeat that for each AI file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos..

Late reply.. but how did you resolve this big issue.

I am looking to restructuring some file servers and there are thousands of work that will require linking to their new locations.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Netcare, did you try suggestion in post # 3?

other than scripting, I'm not sure if there's an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RGB2CMYK2 wrote:

Thanks but then does it mean I not only have to relink everything but also have to gather all the images from different folders and put them in the same folder as the ai files? The images are from at least 20 different folders and there are more than a hundred of images in these 20 ai files.

I would say you made a big mistake by moving all those image especially since you know you had 20 ai files each with hundred of images.

Even if you did not move them this is a poor workflow sinvce for out put you more than likely would need to collect those linked images. That can be too much fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately "relinking" not the same as in indesign... and one by one the only way now. But for the future:

1. If its a complex project i always try to copy/move the "images—links' to a links folder inside the project folder, and place from there. Try and improve your workflow, project file structure.

2. Then you could have saved as: checked the include links option. Draw back is it will embed everything. At least the document will be complete.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works here, win7 CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the links are all in different folders... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant, I think it looks at the stored folder pattern, and then it tries to replace the common folder with the new one. As long as the folder structure is kept the same it should work...I'm guessing here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Those ai files are different projects and the images are grabbed from the company's product image database directly. The products have different catagories that's why they are from different folders. I thought it would be like dreamweaver updating the links automatically as long as you moved the root folder. Obviously I was wrong.

So it would be the best practice to have the images in a folder with the ai file right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines