Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cursor position misplaced in Design View

Feb 2, 2011 9:13 AM

I recently upgraded to Dreamweaver CS4 (Mac OS10.5.8) from DW8. Now, when trying to edit text in Design View, the cursor appears several spaces ahead of the characters it is actually editing. The extent of the misalignment is not regular (between .5 and 2 character spaces), but the cursor is always ahead of, never behind, where it should be. The problem does not occur in Code View, nor does it occur when using certain fonts. For example, Arial works fine but Gill Sans does not.

For now, I can edit in a working font and then switch to another, but I would welcome any advice as to a more permanent solution.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to Alex Kahn

Alex Kahn wrote:

I recently upgraded to Dreamweaver CS4 (Mac OS10.5.8) from DW8. Now, when trying to edit text in Design View, the cursor appears several spaces ahead of the characters it is actually editing. The extent of the misalignment is not regular (between .5 and 2 character spaces), but the cursor is always ahead of, never behind, where it should be. The problem does not occur in Code View, nor does it occur when using certain fonts. For example, Arial works fine but Gill Sans does not.

For now, I can edit in a working font and then switch to another, but I would welcome any advice as to a more permanent solution.

This is something that I have experienced myself in CS4 (Mac 10.4.11) BUT UNLIKE YOU, in CODE view. For months it was ok then suddenly the cursor in code view was misplaced, impossible to edit the text, you just cannot work at all like that.

In my experience this happens on random occasions. I've never found a fix. It is very annoying when this happens. For me it corrects itself if I reboot the computer several times. It has not happened recently I have to say.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:31 PM   in reply to Alex Kahn

I am having the same issue with Dreamweaver CS5 for Mac. I also can’t find any way to fix the issue other than quitting dreamweaver and re-starting the program.

I doubt Adobe will ever fix it, since I’ve had so many issues with Dreamweaver going back to Macromedia days that Adobe still hasn’t bothered to fix since taking it over.

I just hope someday another company will create a product that works well and I can throw Dreamweaver into the trash.

I know that isn’t a very constructive post, or an answer, but maybe if I subscribe to this thread someone will eventually have a solution.

I have tried changing the display fonts in preferences, zooming in and out of the Design view, with no results (if the cursir is offset, zooming in with design view won’t change the offset.

It just sucks when you have an editor you can’t edit with and an FTP client you can’t use to move files around with. I basically have been reduced over the years to using Dreamweaver strictly as a code editor and will most likely be switching to something like BBedit and getting Dreamweaver completely out of my life.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 6:03 AM   in reply to Alex Kahn

I tried doing the same thing in dreamweaver myself, selecting different fonts to see if the problem would go away. It didn't really help in my situation. My first thought was that a font file was corrupt or something along those lines.

It seems to happen most whenever I am trying to use the design view as a text editor, typing in a long series of paragraphs. I don't really use design view for much else.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to osgood_

Osgood,

changing the font size for your code font will solve the problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4178449#4178449

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Alex Kahn

I have the same problem. The cursor is several places behind the text I'm trying to select. the problem is wors the further to the right in a line of text I am trying to select. This makes Dreamweaver unusalbe to me! VERY FRUSTRATING. If this is a common problem, why can't this be fixed!!! This is with CS5.5 on mac OSX Lion.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points