Skip navigation
Peter_Hatch
Currently Being Moderated

<span> start is treated as line-break opportunity

Jan 30, 2012 11:48 AM

ADE 1.8 preview 2 is allowing line breaks whenever a span is started.  That seems to be a bug; nothing else seems to do it, and it makes my book look worse in a way I can't find a way to work around.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to Peter_Hatch

Hi Peter,

Can you provide any sample of this epub book? It will be very helpful to developers to find the reason. Or you can paste the related XHTML and CSS code segements here.

Thanks,

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to Peter_Hatch

Hi Peter,

I tried your code. It seems not so bad except an XHTML syntax issue on third paragraph. I don't use any CSS or stylesheet definition here as your code written. I got the following looking. If I correct your XHTML mark from </ span> to </span>, I can get the completly third paragraph.

Adobe Digital Editions - span-test.png

So, what's your stylesheet definition? You may find a statement inside your XHTML file like:

<link href="template.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

And a .css file from your source folders ("template.css" in this case). Could you also provide this file? I've sent you a PM including my email address. You can send this file or the complete .EPUB book file to me for the analysis.

Thanks,

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to Peter_Hatch

Hi Peter,

I still cannot reproduce it. Can you send me this sample epub book file?

Thanks,

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to Peter_Hatch

I think I've managed to replicate it:

Screen shot 2012-04-26 at 5.06.00 AM.png

I have a testing epub available at https://www.box.net/shared/abfdd16afc15ca507ab8 so Peter can verify I got the gist of what he was noticing and so Derek can verify the behavior. I have not tested yet to see if the mobile devices I have which use ADE also exhibit this behavior, but I can tell you that ADE is the only desktop reader I'm seeing this in.

An interesting thing to note is that ADE seems to not be collapsing the leading whitespace after wrapping the line with nonbreaking spaces and spans.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)