Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to relink all the image after moving the folders?

Feb 1, 2012 9:03 AM

Tags: #illustrator_cs_5

I have a lot of illustrator files in folder A and each file has tons of images from different folders (B, C, D...). All of these folders are inside a main root folder.

Recently I moved this root folder to an external drive then all the illustrator files disconnect with the images. Is there any way to relink all of those images all together instead of relink them one by one?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

One quick way to do this is to put the Illustrator file in the same folder as the images.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

open you AI file, when you get the "Could not find the linked file ABC...." dialog,

- check "Apply to All" check box

- click on "Repair" button

- browse to where the new ABC file is

All images should be relinked automatically

You would need to repeat that for each AI file

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

unfortunately "relinking" not the same as in indesign... and one by one the only way now. But for the future:

1. If its a complex project i always try to copy/move the "images—links' to a links folder inside the project folder, and place from there. Try and improve your workflow, project file structure.

2. Then you could have saved as: checked the include links option. Draw back is it will embed everything. At least the document will be complete.

G

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to Grant H

it works here, win7 CS4

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

but the links are all in different folders... ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2 wrote:

Thanks but then does it mean I not only have to relink everything but also have to gather all the images from different folders and put them in the same folder as the ai files? The images are from at least 20 different folders and there are more than a hundred of images in these 20 ai files.

I would say you made a big mistake by moving all those image especially since you know you had 20 ai files each with hundred of images.

Even if you did not move them this is a poor workflow sinvce for out put you more than likely would need to collect those linked images. That can be too much fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Grant H

Hi Grant, I think it looks at the stored folder pattern, and then it tries to replace the common folder with the new one. As long as the folder structure is kept the same it should work...I'm guessing here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

you're welcome

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers