Skip navigation
ZomgItsRyan
Currently Being Moderated

Text Tool Problem

Feb 2, 2012 9:52 PM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #cs5 #text #tool

I downloaded a font recently (birth of a hero) and ever since I cant use my text tool in cs5 photoshop. I tried deleting my preferences file (command+option+shift) and that didn't work. I also tried unchecking font preview size under "edit -> preferences -> type" and that didn't work either. I've been frantically searching through google trying to find a solution for the past 3 days and i can't find one! I have to create a logo due in a couple of days and I'm at my wit's end! Please help!

The error that comes up is "could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialized"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to ZomgItsRyan

Sounds like the font that you dowbloaded was corrupted. Did you buy it or was it just a free font? Try removing that font and see if Photoshop works again. If it does then try redownloading that font or, if it's a free font, try getting it from anothe website.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to ZomgItsRyan

As Zeno said, most likely simply a case of a "bad" font - not just corrupted, but simply created poorly. Things like open contours or extranuous unassociated points etc., all of which can cause massive type rendering problems...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to ZomgItsRyan

Fonts are added, or deleted, at the OS level, unless one has a font management application.

What OS are you on, as that will determine the exact method of removal.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 4, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to ZomgItsRyan

Hello! Here is a help file on troubleshooting font issues. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html

Some fonts are known to cause trouble at the OS level, like Seven Swordsmen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre,

Thank you for that link. I just added it to my Fonts & Crashes in Titler (Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements) article, as it might be helpful for tracking down bad/corrupt fonts. In the various Premiere products, the Titler is even more sensitive, than PS, AI or InDesign, when it comes to bad/corrupt fonts, and those will usually just crash Titler.

Appreciated, and might help some Premiere users too.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 4, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Glad I could help (even indirectly ) I should visit the Premiere forums more often, I really like the hardware sub-forum.

The Premiere Pro titler should be Adobified. It does not work like the rest of the suite. The fact that one needs to open an existing title and click on new title inside the window to create a new title from an existing one threw me off seriously! So error prone. And I don't want to create a template everytime... Sorry for the OT...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Though some of the recs. in the Hardware Form get a bit Premiere specific, most will apply well for building a PS machine too. Harm and Bill G. do a great job over there (along with several other valued contributors), at helping with almost any hardware questions. I often link some of Harm's articles here, when one wants to know about a new computer.

See ya' there, and now, back to the regularly scheduled program, already in progress...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points