Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Community Help/U2U Forums Update

Feb 2, 2012 11:48 AM

A new mechanism has been put in place by the Adobe help team whereby there is a direct interaction between posts made on the Community Help pages and these U2U forums. While some tweaks to the new system may be expected over time, here is how it works now as I understand it.

1. A new post made on a Premiere Pro CS5.5 help page where there are no posts yet will create a corresponding thread in the Premiere Pro CS5.5 forum here.

2. The heading of that new post here will say it is from Community Help, and the topic will be the same as the topic on the help page

3. What is normally the OP's opening text will be merely a boiler plate statement saying the thread came from... and then give the link to the help page.

4. The post on the help page that started the process will on the forum be the #1 post under the heading.

5. Any responses made in the forum will then appear on the help page as part of the thread, and vice versa.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Jerry.K

Ooooh...you really need to get rid of #5.  That'll really make a mess of the Help pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to Jerry.K

Jerry.K,

After that pep-talk, I dug around and found my Boy Scout uniform. Luckily, it was cotton, or the moths would have eaten it up by now. Now, if I can just remember the Boy Scout salute.

I sort of share Jim's concern, but then if we know where things are going, I think that we can refrain from platform-bashing, and interjecting too many personal references.

Hope that when refined, and implemented, it will be very helpful, but my jury is still out - hope that I am wrong on that one.

Thank you for the update, and am I correct to assume that the OP's message WILL one day appear?

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Jerry.K

Great.

I can live with the responsibility to keep things focused.

The addition of the OP question, will go a long way to contributing to the usefulness of the feature.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Jerry.K

had to rely on the users here showing a certain level of restraint.

My concern isn't about restraint or lack of it.  It's about clutter.  The forums are, appropriately I'd argue, full of back and forths and discussion.  Help files should be concise and contain only relevant information.  I really don't want my Help pages taking any longer than they do now to load because they're filled with forum fluff.

It's probably not a bad idea for questions posed there to show up here.  But at most, what shows up there should be a link to here so that uses can follow it if they wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to Jerry.K

That's just the way it is now and there is nothing we mods can do about it

Well...the one thing that can be done about it is to not implement this new feature until it can be done properly - without posts going back to the Help pages.

Just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi everybody!

Jim, the idea is to draw on the expertise of the forum regulars, and on the advanced functionality, like image and video posting.

As for the fear of clutter in the help files, the moderators might want to be more involved/heavy handed in those threads in cleaning bad advice/irrelevant posts, as it was possible to do with the old mechanism.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

It's perfectly possible to draw on the benefits of the forum by adding a one way link from the Help file to the forums.  Adding posts back onto the Help file does not benefit anyone.  It only adds clutter to the page and work for the moderators.

Like my mama always said, "If you cain't do somethin' right, best not do it at all."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, I can "massage" the posts in our forum for redundant or non-related info that goes into Help. I don't think I need to do that, though, as Jerry points out. Thanks for your patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to Jerry.K

An excellent summation of what we're doing, Jerry. Thanks so much for this post and all your help on the forums on this issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points