Skip navigation
doctor_r
Currently Being Moderated

Column Break in Illustrator CS5

Feb 3, 2012 1:57 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #break #illustrator_cs_5 #column

Can someone please tell me first, that it is possible to force text to move up to the next column in a text area (There is no way Illustrator could not have a way to do this... is there?). And secondly HOW to do it? I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure this out...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to doctor_r

Are the text columns threaded? If yolu use the Selection tool (black arrow) does it look like this

Screen shot 2012-02-03 at 2.32.53 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to doctor_r

There is no end-of-column command or special character provided in Illustrator. Prettly lame, huh?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to JETalmage

There is no end-of-column command or special character provided in Illustrator. Prettly lame, huh?

No, I don't think it is lame. Would it be a good addition? Perhaps. But then, other than posters, small brochures, etc., I would place art into ID if I needed better control. Draging a frame up or down a little for force lines breaking in a different place in threaded frames isn't onerous. At least to me for what I use Illy for.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to doctor_r

Guess we are talking about columns created through Type  > Area Type options.

There is a workaround with an additional rectangle and the Text Wrap command.

Still a lame and bumbling kludge.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Agreed a long time feature request Adobe was almost convince to include it an earlier version but then I changed their minds.

As for Mike there isaac many occasions where the art and typography are more integrated then it would be in an ID layout and where the artist would need to develop the typography and art together and the art director might want that file supplied and insert that into ID like in Illustrative books.

It might not be your way or fit your needs but it is pretty lame not have it even if a large user base would not need it.

I am going to try againwith feature request as I think there might be a way to entice Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 8:25 PM   in reply to doctor_r

It is lame, wholly lame, and nothing but lame.

Just as is the related—and equally lame—absense of a provision for carriage returns in Find/Replace.

Both are simply sub-standard. Lame.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to doctor_r

I assumed I was just crazy because I couldn't fathom how Adobe could have a product out like Illustrator for so long and not have as simple a feature as column breaks...

Nope. You're not crazy. You're just sufferning the same shell-shock incredulity those accustomed to competing programs experience every day when they launch this archaic program. I could build you a long list of similarly taken-for-granted features which Illustator has never provided.

That's a large part the fuzzy logic of the so-called "creative cloud" which Adobe is going to be ramming down all our throats at breakneck speed. The most frequently trotted-out "advantage" to its naive customers is ostensibly 'no waiting for new features'.

Excuse me? That's supposed to be convincing to customers who have for over a quarter-century taken for granted in competing products such standard functionality as:

Proper geometric primitives

User-defined drawing scales

Dimension tools

Connector lines

Custom arrowheads (not implemented as an absurd workaround kludge)

I can easily lengthen this list—and have. But just one such item suffices to make my point: Throughout AI's history, the timespan between version releases has never been the issue; it's an insignificant percentage of the literal decades it takes for no-brainer features to ever appear in this lethargic, over-rated program!

The excuse has always been 'limited resources.' Yeah? If you buy that, what do you think those poor overworked limited resources have been working hardest on of late; adding long-needed "new" (only new to Adobe) features, or revamping everything for this new subscription-based "cloud" buzzword marketing model?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to JETalmage

I have to agree, the lack of such features is shockingly pathetic and makes me wonder why anyone would ever pay to upgrade CS on a yearly basis. I recently tried out Audition (Adobe's audio editing flagship) and found it to be similarly lacking the most basic features such as the ability to group together audio clips within a track and collect files for export. Lack of those features makes Audition virtually unuseable for anyone but masochists.

I would like to see Adobe withhold making any new releases until they finally fix all their deficiencies. Until that day comes I will never purchase another adobe product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to A1exg

This is not an Audition Forum but perhaps CS 6 offers you what you are looking for in Audtion, I understand Audition is used widely as a broadcast software.

I don't know for sure what Audition CS 6 offers but I think they implemented some wide asked for features and grouping clips might be one of them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points