Skip navigation

LR 4 seems sluggish

Jan 10, 2012 2:11 PM

Latest reply: C-OW, Mar 6, 2012 2:11 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to gnorthridge@msn.com

Similar sluggishness to OP here. Core i5, x64 Win7, 8GB, SSD. Only imported 64 example DNG files, previously processed by LR3.

I haven't tried moving to the 2010 process apart from on isolated photos, but anyway my user experience is overall extremely slow, not just in the Develop module sliders, with visible window/dialog repainting and sometimes the Windows busy cursor appearing for simple operations. Even just minimizing the app and maximizing it again results in a noticeably slow repaint compared to other Windows apps. 

It's usable, but not very pleasant, and much worse than 3.6. Like a beta that's still running debug code or something (but it's probably something else; this is just what it feels like to me).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky

I am running 5DmkII RAW with full res previews and it's not too bad for me. I do have a high spec machine but then so do others here. LR3 runs fine. Beta 3 was slower.. LR4 beta is just that, a Beta.. Obviously Adobe want you to upgrade to the release version so this is a way to let users see the new functionality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to frankc1978

For me it does not matter what the file size or type is or how much ram you have because photoshop CS5 or even CS6 beta doesn't have a lag problem using the same type of brush adjustment or spot fix that does lag or lock up in Lightroom. If I want to repair spots or touch up a face I am forced to change to photoshop to get the job done.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to gnorthridge@msn.com

Same problem- many sliders too slow to be workable.

Given that this is an Adobe forum for a beta product, why no response from Adobe after 3 weeks? Is this forum read by Adobe? If not, what's the point of a beta release?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to vmtr

vmtr wrote:

For me it does not matter what the file size or type is or how much ram you have because photoshop CS5 or even CS6 beta doesn't have a lag problem using the same type of brush adjustment or spot fix that does lag or lock up in Lightroom. If I want to repair spots or touch up a face I am forced to change to photoshop to get the job done.

While it definitely helps to keep sharpening and noise reduction zeroed until the bitter end stacking up the adjustment brushes still becomes a painful experience.  What I've also noticed is that you need to keep your foot on the gas once you start your brush strokes.  The processing seems to stabilize and you can paint fairly clean if you maintain a continuous stroke.  But as you soon as you lift the pen (or release the mouse button) and interrupt the stroke then the engine does it's thing and will take time to catch up when you start to brush again.  Like pedalling uphill with momentum behind you vs. stopping and starting again.  Awful.  Forget about feathering in an adjustment with low flow.

Granted, Lightroom has a lot more gerbils spinning on wheels than does just ACR but I sure like the immediacy of Camera Raw when it's running on its own (ie. out of Bridge or Photoshop).  That's how Lightroom should flow in the Develop module.  Clean and real-time.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky

Me too!    

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to dbyj

Adobe reads threads here, and some known bugs in this area have been mentioned here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

They could at least respond and acknowledge the performance issues. They

are extremely quiet on this issue.  Instead, they talk about maps and books.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Bershatsky

There's not much to talk about on this issue.  There are performance problems with the beta.  We know that, and they know that.  They have to fix the performance bugs (such as the one that causes massive slowdowns on upgraded images) and optimize as best they can.  Period.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

I expect more.  Not photo books

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Bershatsky

Look, I could give a rat's tail end about maps and photo books in this application. It's all fluff that makes me fearful of what kind of stress it's putting on the whole of the engine. But Adobe isn't making the app for just me and the Lightroom team isn't new to this game. This is their 4th major public beta go around and they have had to deal with this every time (especially with the performance issue before it's baked). the performance issue is something that the team knows about, know's that they can't release a final with these problems without all hell coming down on them from every pro (and other) that has to depend on the program managing their lively hood. We all want it to be perfect out of the box... the thing is it hasn't been put in the box yet. The more time they spend managing our issues with a program that we shouldn't be using except for a geeky fun time play toy, the less time they have to actually get the work done. It's perfectly reasonable that they are going to talk about the features that they are still making the recipe for (whether I want those features or not).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to dlimageworks

Please calm down folks .

Obviously we give the performance (interactive or not) improvements a very high priority internally. A lot of work and bug fixes have gone into the most recent builds. We're seeing good performance test results internally. We're always improving.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to simonsaith

So when is the second beta coming out?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Bershatsky

Sorry. Cannot talk about product plans in public forums. But many of the performance issues reported here sounds pretty familiar and have been addressed by the team.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Simon,

the sluggishness is a problem with LR since version 1 and IMO has very little to do with the beta stadium of LR4. If the sluggishness would be really be adressed, than LR4 would have to be a lot faster than all previous LR versions,.....what I seriously doubt.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to klsteven

Let's be real. Lr 3 is fine

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Lr4 seems pretty good (for a beta) and most of the performance is comparable to Lr3 (which I find totally acceptable on my system: Core i7-2600 3.4ghz, 16Gb RAM, SSD system disk, 2x1Tb HDD in mirrored RAID array, Radeon HD6850 1Gb). The only sluggish thing is switching modules, e.g. "slideshow" to "print" is very slow.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to gnorthridge@msn.com

So far I could'nt  find any difference to LR3, means same performance. Tried the stamp, brush etc. where others reported bad performance.

Working on an Core I7 Q 720 @ 1,6GHZ, Win 7 64bit, 6 GB RAM.

Oli

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points