Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Intermittent colour rendering problem

Feb 3, 2012 4:55 AM

In the past few weeks I've noticed a problem with my Photoshop CS5 (12.0.4) / Windows 7 64-bit setup. Maybe once a day, after using Photoshop for a while, the current document's colours will look like they're using the wrong colour space, usually looking more vivid and artificial. The only way out of the situation is to restart Photoshop.

Example 1: after editing an image in AdobeRGB, I flatten it and run an action to resize, sharpen, and convert to sRGB. Occasionally, the picture ends up looking psychedelic.

Example 2: after copying a selection in a flattened sRGB image, I create a new sRGB image and paste. Occasionally, the new image is clearly off, still similar hues but changed in tone and saturation; going back to the original window, there is visual corruption.

I've got an ATI HD5670 graphics card, and have gone through maybe 3 driver revisions while this problem has existed. It's too infrequent a problem to easily replicate, and what I usually do is save and earlier state as a PSD and reload Photoshop.

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to Yammer

I have this problem once before and I solve this problem very simply. I only reinstall Photoshop and all was working fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 3, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Yammer

I have the same card, and I can't say I've noticed this specific problem, but then I have sRGB monitors and usually use the sRGB profile when editing, so it wouldn't be obvious to me if color-management stopped working - normally it doesn't do any transformations anyway.

I *have* seen cases where the Shift - Right Click brush sizing feature just stops working (most recent time was when I stitched a giant panorama yesterday).  I have assumed that Photoshop runs into some kind of OpenGL problem or resource issue and falls back to not using OpenGL in some subsystems.  Perhaps this is one and the same problem you're seeing.  If it happens again, try these things:

1.  Make the document into a window and drag it around.  Do you see the color-management change while dragging vs. when it's dropped?

2.  Try the Shift - Right Click brush sizing shortcut.

By the way, the Catalyst 12.1 driver set (just released this year) seems generally good.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 4, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to Yammer

Hello, Yammer, I would directly suspect the overclocking of the card.

I guess that you will try it one long period of time at default setting, then where it was, to see if it was the cause of your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to Yammer

Capacitors do tend to get weaker as time goes by but your card isn't that old so if it's overclocking related then it was either because you overclocked the card too much or it's dust related which increased the temperature of the card or the whole case. Do you hear the video card fan going into high gear when these problems occur as that would point to the graphics driver crashing (which may or may not be caused by the overclocking). If it's strictly driver related then also try using older versions from when you didn't have these problems but first uninstall and completely remove the newer versions using DriverSweeper to make sure that there aren't any leftovers interfering with the troubleshooting.

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 4, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Yammer

I have always left my ATI cards set on default.  I experimented with overclocking very briefly and found that the performance gains were quite trivial.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 4, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Yammer

Also, if you do not play videogames, why do you overdrive your card?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to Yammer

Photoshop barely uses the video card, games would run better but there's no point in overclocking video cards just for Photoshop work

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 4, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to Yammer

Seeing how fragile OpenGL is between drivers update, I would not try to push the videocards over their limits...

If I was to build a machine now, I'd be annoyed, I prefer fanless cards, but now we need powerful ones for Ps/AE/Pr...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Yammer

I've lost track - you're running Catalyst 12.1?

We have shown that this particular version is a bust - apparently it has resource problems with shaders.

Best thing to do is to uninstall it and drop back to the very stable 11.7 release.  I've done just that and Photoshop has been exemplary.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Yammer

I like the old Air Force saying:  "It's fast, I don't care!  It blows up in midair!!"

I have hopes for Catalyst 12.2. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 24, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Yammer

Likewise - 11.7 has been good here too.

My hopes are only from the knowledge that Chris Cox said they'd been interacting with ATI on the problems in the 12.1 drivers.

Is 12.2 out?  I've been on a trip and haven't had a chance to look for a couple of days.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Yammer

Yammer P wrote:

Is 12.2 out?

Only the preview, and no mention of Adobe.

I don't normally try out pre-release versions, but I do need to test the actual release when it comes out. 

An inability to continue to compile shaders is a pretty serious issue; I hope they fix it, giving us both better performance and reliability in the next version.

But 12.2 is still not released, even on the next-to-last day of the month, so they're really pushing this one to the limit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 9, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Yammer

I've been running 12.3 (which is what it says it is after you install the release they externally call 12.2) for 1 full day now, and have not had a lick of trouble so far.  It looks like they fixed the shader resource management problem they introduced in 12.1.

Note that I've only been running Photoshop CS5 64 bit - I haven't tested with 32 bit yet.

Unfortunately, the small gain in Photoshop interactivity I felt when moving up to 12.1 doesn't seem to be there at all in this version.  In all honesty it feels about the same.  Perhaps not managing shader resources properly was what was giving the performance gain we saw in painting before.

I ran the Passmark benchmark and it's ever so slightly faster than with 11.7.  I see no difference in Windows WEI score.

Your call whether you want to chance it.  If you do upgrade, check your performance carefully before and after to see if you notice a difference - to double check my results.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points