Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 9 Organizer keyword filter question

Feb 5, 2012 4:29 PM

Tags: #keywords #elements_9_organizer

I have been using PSE 9 for more than a year, but just recently I decided to start using the Organizer too.  I have read the manual, but I am still having a bit of difficulty with filtering using keywords so I think I am probably doing something wrong.  For example, let's say I have photos that have tags for the state they were taken in:  Florida, California, Texas, etc.  Also, some photos have the tag Birds.  So, I want to find all the bird photos I have taken in Florida.  In the Keyword Tags panel if I select Florida and Birds it doesn't show me all the photos of birds in Florida, but instead shows me all the bird photos from anywhere AND all the photos taken in Florida.  I guess it is doing OR when what I want is AND.  In the Find Details (Metadata) window it allows you to choose AND or OR for metadata searches so clearly Adobe understands the concept and distinction.  Therefore, I am pretty sure that I have just not discovered where in Organizer I tell it to use AND instead of OR when doing keyword searches.  Can someone help me?  Thank you very much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to bakubo

I'm doing this with PSE10, so you'll have to see if it works in PSE9:  Using the Search field in the Options Bar, multiple tags are automatically combined with an AND, even if no photos have both tags.  I can type "OR" between the tags to get an "OR" search.

It might have been something that was updated with PSE10, but you can try typing in the "AND" or "OR" between the tags to get consistent behaviour.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to bakubo

bakubo wrote:

I am hoping there is a way to get this behavior by using the Keyword Tags panel also

I don't think that's possible.  Reading the PSE10 Help file closely reveals that using the Keyword Tags Panel only performs an OR search.

Added:

I just discovered that in the Search field you can combine terms with "NOT" to exclude tags.

bakubo wrote:

I often want to filter with several keywords and some can be rather long, such as British Columbia, etc

You only have to type in enough characters to uniquely identify the tag -- "Brit", for example.

Ken

Message was edited by: photodrawken to add comment.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to bakubo

Hi,

I tested this on a small set of photos of my niece taken at my home and school. On selecting her name tag, grid showed all media having this tags. When I clicked 'School' tag, it showed all pictures of her taken at her school. So Organizer is performing an AND operation for me.

Is your scenario the same?

Thanks

andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to bakubo

Hi,

I think that Bakubo is correct in the second posting.

If there are photos that match both tag criteria then it displays only them (AND).

If there aren't any matches, then it displays photos with either tag (OR) - it then places a small circle with a tick in the top left corner of the thumbnail.- hover over it and it says "Close Match".

Now, if you want to turn an AND into and OR, select "Show close match results" from the options on the search bar - the exact matches don't have the tick and the close matches do.

I was testing on PSE 10 but I think it should apply to earlier versions.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to bakubo

That's a good suggestion, but the Adobe product team rarely monitors this forum.  Use this forum:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_elements

to "officially" log in a request.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

But if I see his own scenario, he's looking for Birds in Florida images. This search will have some results and so he should get an AND result rather than OR result.

If no results are being returned by AND search, then Organizer shows OR result with the use case in mind that a user should atleast be able to view grid with either both or either of the tags, instead of showing an empty grid. By checking hiding best matches from Options menu, he can default the to an AND search, as you already told.

Though I agree a freedom to select between AND and OR should be at user's discretion. Good suggestion

Thanks

andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Hi,

The Find by metadata does give you the option of AND or OR searches and you can search on tags there - oh, and it doesn't need typing.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

I agree.

And such searches can be saved as well. I think this sounds a good solution.

Thanks

andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Hi,

However, saving them does mean typing in a name

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This