Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trim not working

Feb 6, 2012 3:32 PM

Hello!

I have a file that I am attempting to use Trim on.  It does not appear to be trimming the picture.  I am perplexed as to what could be causing this problem.  I wish I could send the layered image so you could take a look at it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what settings I need to fiddle with to make trim work?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
-Kelly

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 6, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to KellyD2000

I wonder if one of your layers has information hidden by a blend mode?  Or active pixels too tiny to see?  Try using the magic wand tool to select the area you are expecting to be trimmed away, and then entering Quick mask.  The added contrast might well show something up.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 6, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to KellyD2000

Do you have a basic understanding of how Trim works?  Keep in mind all the pixels around the edge have to be EXACTLY the same color.  If there are JPEG compression artifacts or any kind of noise whatsoever that makes pixel values differ even by one level, Trim won't cut the edges off.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to KellyD2000

Are you trying to trim based on pixel color or transparency?

You can post a screenshot of your photoshop application with the layers panel and image showing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to KellyD2000

Are you sure you want to trim?

Or do you really mean you want to crop the picture?

To crop, use the Crop tool in the tools panel.

You can also make a selection and then: Image menu, Crop. However, the Crop tool is more versatile.

crop.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to KellyD2000

Be sure that there are no hidden pixels. I had the same problem. When I used the magic wand to select what I thought was all a transparent area I then filled in the selection with black (use color of your choice). I could see that there were some hidden pixels scattered throughout the image. As soon as I erased the pixels I was able to trim the image.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to KellyD2000

I'm having the exact same problem. In fact, I've had the problem in the past but it was never a problem enough to try to find a fix; I could just switch to the crop tool and be done with it.

But now I'm in the middle of a huge project cataloging scanned slides -- all of which have a thick black border from the mount being scanned. I need to crop that black out of thousands of high-res scans in TIFF files. It would be nice to be able to do this with a batch operation that trims the black pixels, but the trim isn't working.

None of the suggestions here  apply. The border is solid black (000000), there are no layers, it's not a JPG, and there are no hidden or varied pixels.

Any more suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 5, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to chrisni

Are you sure every pixel in the border is solid black?  If even one of them is 000100 or similar it would stop the Trim operation from cutting the pixels off.

As a test, toss one or two severe Curves adjustment layers over the top to radically brighten things.  Any pixels that aren't pure black should be visible.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to KellyD2000

I have the same problem. Trim is definitely not working properly in CS6. I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.4. I've tried to use it on multiple files that definitely have the same exact color or a big area of transparency surrounding an image. The trim will occasionally work along one side, but never fully, even if all the Trim Away options are checked. The problem exists if there is only one basic layer or multiple layers. I even tested it by trying to re-trim an image that I had successfully trimmed in CS5.5. It worked before. It no longer does.

Trim offers functionality that crop does not, which is why it exists. Yes, in most instances, you can use crop to accomplish the same results, but it takes longer and is less accurate depending on what you're trying to do. For instance, I often have to trim out excess background around an image with a shadow. Determining exactly where that shadow ends is tedious to do manually. Trim used to accomplish that instantly. It's also useful for centering a composition, which may contain many layers. If the backround surrounding the composition isn't of uniform proportions, I will trim it and then use canvas to expand the background area uniformly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to Dax Roggio

Apparently still not solved in CC !! 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 11:38 PM   in reply to DomiPro

Still not working in v14.2 !

Is this soo hard to fix ??

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2014 6:39 AM   in reply to DomiPro

Most images where a Trim problem occurs have some (nearly invisible) contamination.

Post an image with which you can reproduce the problem.

Also post a screen grab showing what it did(n't) do.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points