• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop adding " copy" to file names?

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I don't mind the save as a copy feature. If I have a psd file with layers and smart objects and such, and I Save As > JPG, I don't want the jpg open, I want the psd open. I like how PS does that behavior, but I don't like how that jpg gets " copy" added to it's file name. Yes it's easy to remove, but I'm using a batch action on over 300 pictures, I don't feel like renaming 300 jpg's. Yes it's supposed to be a safety net, but I basically never work from jpg's as original's, and if for some reason I do, I set them as read only and copy the files off to a safe location, so I don't need it.

I know it's possible because my old school's computers with photoshop CS5 never saved jpg's with copy in the file name. So, how do I stop PS CS5 from adding copy to my file names? Because I need photoshop to not add copy to my file names on my work computer (and it's my old school, can't use their computers or ask someone why it's like that).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with Photoshop CS scripting has been a standard feature and a script named Image Processor has shiped with Photoshop. With each release of Photoshop since CS scripting support has been enhanced as has the Image Processor Script.  There are also better Image processor scripts that can be downloaded.  With CS5 you can even download one that is a Plug-in from Russell Browns web site it name is Image Processor Pro and after it is inatslled you will find it under menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro and you will find the Image Processor script under menu File>Scripts>Image Processor.  Script can name saved files better than Action,  These Image Processing scripts can save and resize your images they can include actions you make during their processing.  Your action are easier to make for you they do not have to include any resizing naming and the actions do not require any save steps.  The Image Processor Pro script has more features then the standard  Image Processor script. Any Image Processor script can be used to do what you want to do.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack:

I don't know anything about PS scripting, I've never tried to use it, what I need can be done via actions, and I don't have a week to stop and learn a new langauge. I don't need better control over file names, just for the file name to remain unchanged. Honestly I'd like to be able to make PS stop doing it at all times, because I never need " copy" in my file names and it's always annoying, but now it's finally getting in the way of a project at work so it's finally worth trying to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacquilynw wrote:

JJMack:

I don't know anything about PS scripting, I've never tried to use it, what I need can be done via actions, and I don't have a week to stop and learn a new langauge.

Like you don't need to be a programmer to use Photoshop you do not need to program a script to use a script. Photoshop ships with some scripts and some of photoshop functions are implmented using Photoshop scripts. Photoshop Plug-in Fit Image, Function like Photomerge, lens correction,  Some of the scripts the ship with photoshop are: Image Processor, Load Files into Stack, Export Layers To Files and others. You can also dowload script to use from the web for exampl Image Processor Pro.

Actions have some limitations and sometims Photoshop behavior may not be what one expects.  The Batch processor  (menu File>Automate>Batch) has a dialog that can batch an action and can override some step in an action like save as.  Photoshop has a huge learning curve. You can accomplish some things using many different methods with Photoshop.   Using features like Batch and Image Process can allow you to create simpler actions without having any save step in the action. Batch can overwrite source image files where the Image Processor will not for it is programed to save new image file and leave the original source images files or documents alone. The Image processor can process open documents, image files selected in the bridge or a source image folder or source image tree. All Photoshop supported image file types in a source folder or tree will be process other files will be skiped some like sidecar files may be used if their assocated raw file is in the source folder or sub folder.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used things like photomerge before, that think was clunky as all heck. I don't mind the limitations of actions. I didn't need anything that fancy, just simple things over and over.

I've been using PS since PS 7. I have climbed major parts of PS's learning curve, so I'm aware of it; however, this project has a deadline, and I don't have time to learn something I've never touched before at this point. I like that the actions are layed out in the actions pannel where I can see them, change them, or use them later (since they're auto-saved). The actions can also be told to save over the source files or not depending on what I tell it, all based on a source folder. Actions are easy to customize to process my images the way I need them processed, no matter what that is. Getting a script to do just this simple little thing I need can be much more complex sometimes. Honestly it's rare that I use PS for processing many pictures at once anyway, my most common use for PS is digital painting as a hobby. That's why usually I don't usually have a source image/s to work from, I usually start with a blank white canvas, some layers, the brush tool, and my tablet.

Besides, your point is mute now. Yesterday I used the action to save out the source jpg's as re-sized psd's in a different folder, I went through and nudged the few that needed it, and I batch ran the other action to save out the psd's as jpg's in yet another folder. If the person who assigned this to me really has a problem with the 'copy' in the file name, then I'll just download the free trial of total comander and run a quick find and replace to remove it from every file in a matter of seconds. I would still like PS to stop adding copy to file names when using actions though for anything I have to do later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used "Save for web and devices" instead of "Save As" while creating my action and that worked pretty well. None of my files have that annoying "Copy" added into the file name and they are all saved as JPEGs .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the batch process in Image Processor?

Don't think that adds copy, although some processes do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hate it if I had to carve off "copy" every time.

Funny thing...  I do File - Save As and choose JPEG all the time.  I never see it add "copy" to the filename.  NEVER.  I never thought about this until I went to reproduce this problem for jacquilynw above...

What have I done to please the Photoshop gods?  I don't recall any checkbox that told the system to avoid putting "copy" in the filename.  Could it be because I have the operating system set up to show me file extensions?  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to change it to the behavior jacquilynw is seeing, but it would be nice to be able to tell her how to avert "copy" in the name!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first screen of "save as" there is a box in options "save as a copy".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That normally comes on (and is grayed out), the way I work - e.g., on 16 bits/channel master files and with multiple layers.

But no "copy" shows up in the name...

AsACopyOn.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS clicked "save as" and I get this screen.  CS5.

I see your "as copy" is grayed out.

copy to.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y:

My installs of PS always has the save as copy greyed out and checked when I have multiple layers and choose jpg from the drop down (even the old PS7 ones I used to have). Even the computers at my old school forced that check box to be checked, but they just didn't add " copy" to the file name. Like I said, the concept of saving off a copy doesn't bother me (instead of saving as a jpg then having a flat jpg open), what bothers me is the file name getting appended.

Just off a guess it might be that way because you opened a jpg or flat psd and hit save as. Try something with layers. If it still doesn't force save as copy to be checked, then I'd love to know what you did to PS to get that to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started this week for me and itss horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you open the image.jpg in ps, and you try save a jpg copy with the same name it will add "copy" to the file name. This is because PS is working with the original JPG and saving as (with as a copy) effectivley creates a new file saves and closes it... it needs the original open.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me that she's said she's opening PSDs with things that can't be stored in JPEGs, and when she goes to save them they have the word "copy" added to the filename.

jacquilynw wrote:

If I have a psd file with layers and smart objects and such, and I Save As > JPG ... but I don't like how that jpg gets " copy" added to it's file name.
I basically never work from jpg's as original's

Jacquilynw, just for clarity:

1.  You are NOT actually clicking the [  ] As a Copy checkbox manually, right?

2.  Are you seeing "copy" added to the filename when you open a PSD with things that can't be saved in a JPEG then just do File - Save As - JPEG?

3.  On that system, do you have Windows Explorer Folder Options set so that you see the file extensions all the time (e.g., .jpg, .psd, etc.)?

As I have said, I do NOT see "copy" in this condition, when I File - Save As - JPEG on my PC workstation running Windows 7 x64.  Clearly Photoshop is sensitive to something on the system that's averting this behavior, though I do not know specifically what.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo's were jpg's, but then I did a batch action they turned them all into psd's. It coverts the bg layer to a smart object, does an image size to 200px wide, and a canvas size to cut off the edges a little. The action then saves the file as psd. The photo's all vary slightly, so I will need to nudge a few to center their face (hense the smart objects), but after that I'd like to just save them out using a batch action as jpg's for web use without renaming each file. That and the silly " copy" thing has always bothered me, I've just never needed it turn off like this before. I have another action made to save the psd's as jpg's, and I didn't change the file name, simply the folder location, and every time I try to use it the jpg's have " copy" in their file names.

1. I'm not clicking that check box, it is disabled and checked for me. Sometimes when I save manually (using the ctrl+shift+S instead of the action) the word " copy" isn't added (though sometimes it is), but it's always added when I use the action. Even when I created the action to save from psd back to jpg, the file I used didn't have copy, but any file saved using the action has copy in the file name.

2. If I understand you correctly, then sometimes yes.

3. Yes, I always change that setting. I'm fully aware of what changing file extensions can do, and sometimes I need to do it, so I like seeing them.

I'm running win7 on a 32 bit PC. Is that regardless of this like smart objects, layers, and adjustment layers? You call it a worksation, does that mean it's not your computer? Like I said the PC's at my school never did this dumb " copy" thing and I have no idea why.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how are you automating this exactly...

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info... 

A PC workstation is just a powerful PC, purpose built for professional work.

Just to be perfectly clear, do I understand correctly that it's when you're using an action to do your File - Save As that you're seeing the "copy" added?

I just recorded an action to do the same.  While I never see "copy" added during an interactive Save As, I definitely DO see "copy" added when it is done from within an action.

I don't know of any way that this behavior can be changed, but we can hope perhaps to hear from Chris Cox, who knows the Photoshop internals.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I somestimes see it when I don't use the actions. I don't remember the conditions, but I know I've seen PS CS5 do it at some point.

Yes, maybe he will drop in. If adobe has been trying to get rid of the adding copy thing, then maybe this is just a part of it they didn't remove yet? I think older versions of PS did it much more often. Honestly I wish it had been optional in the first darn place, but way too late for that.

Thank you for your help Noel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I found it at Photoshop Tip – How to turn off “Add Copy to Copied Layers and Groups”

Here is summary

Anyway, I eventually found it nestled in the Layers Panel drop down menu. Maybe CS6 will manage to consolidate all the programs options into one central located, we can only hope :smile:

The Solution (CS5)

1. Click on the dropdown menu Photoshop CS5 Layers Panel Menu Icon to the right of the Layers Panel
  2. Select Panel Options near the bottom and you’ll get the “Layers Panel Options” window up (see right)
  3. Look at the bottom of the “Layers Panel Options” window to see where Adobe have hidden this little treasure
  4. Titled “Add ‘copy’ to Copied Layers and Groups” the new checkbox will default to ticked, simply untick it to enable one of the most powerful changes in Photoshop CS5 :cool:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats just got to do with copying/duplicating of layers... not file names.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grant H wrote:

thats just got to do with copying/duplicating of layers... not file names.

Grant's right; I just changed that setting and tested the action again.  No difference - "copy" is still added.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works but a bit messy.

>Select all

>Copy all layer

>New window (New file window)

>Paste

>Save as

>Select file name and save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ikumajap's response made me realize the reason the "save as copy" is greyed out is because it has layers. So all you have to do is add a "flatten image" action first, then a new "save as jpg" that does not include the copy. I tried adding flatten to my old action but it still added "copy" so you do have to make a new save action. This, of course, will not alter your original file as long as you don't add a plain old save in there first.

English (auto-detected) » English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines