Skip navigation
russue
Currently Being Moderated

Still can't get speech function to work - specifically for ebooks

Jan 3, 2012 3:54 PM

Derek suggested I needed NVDA or similar - have downloaded this & it makes almost anything on the computer screen talk. Except the e-books. Here it states 'book content'.I can access keyboard commands for NVDA & it can read Word docs or plain text that I open but not any ebooks (I have tried several formats - pdf, epub). Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to russue

Hi Sue,

Can you please provide one or two sample e-books that you cannot read with NVDA? DE2 can only provide screen reads that contains characters. It cannot read the image copy e-books. If you are not in this case, I'd like to provide these e-books to development team to investigate the reason.

Just in case, have you tried to use the following when reading? This may help:

1. NVDA + Down Arrow key (the NVDA modifier key usually configured to "Insert" key, refer to NVDA document for the details), and / or
    2. Tab key to move focus

Thanks!
    Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to Derek Leng

Me either can't get NVDA to read ebook. Have tried many times NVDA+Down Arrow key but it doesn't help. NVDA reads menu items of Adobe Digital Editions but not the ebook content.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to c.bilash

Hi,

This is because the focus is not on the book content. You may use Tab key to move the focus first.

Good luck!

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Derek Leng

One more thing, ADE can ONLY read the ebook with characters, if the ebook is image copied, ADE / screen reader cannot get any content info while user can still see it through the screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Derek Leng

Dear Derek,

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that, however, i can't understand why it is possible to select and copy the text of the ebook in subject but ADE can't read it.

We tried tab to move the focus but it reads all (navigation and menu items) except the ebook text.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to c.bilash

Could you please provide this book to me for further investigation? Thanks! - Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to c.bilash

Hi c.bilash,

Thanks for the email with the detailed information. I can successfully reproduce this problem on my side. The book is Ok with no problem. The problem is using NVDA with Windows XP.

So far as I know, there is a compability problem between NVDA and UI Automation on Windows XP (the technology ADE used). From version 2011.2, "NVDA no longer makes use of UI Automation even if it is available via the platform update". On its release notes, it says "Although using UI Automation can improve the accessibility of some modern applications, on XP and Vista there were too many freezes, crashes and over all performance loss while using it." Please refer to: NVDA 2011.2 "Wat's New" document. My suggestion is try to use older version of NVDA, or upgrade to Windows 7 or so.

Please feel free let me know if you have any question or comments.

Thanks and regards,

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Derek Leng

Dear Derek,

Sorry for my late reply. I understand the problem, thank you for your support.

With best regards,

Christina

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points