Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

File icons are not showing in Files panel of Dreamweaver CS5.5 Mac

Feb 7, 2012 1:32 AM

Hi, I recently noticed that the icons for the files in the Files panel are missing. Only the folder icons show...

I have ditched the preferences, but no result. Anybody?

filepanel.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2012 3:05 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

This is a known issue with Mac 10.7.3. It's currently being investigated by Adobe engineers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

Hi - I have the same problem - exactly the same... no solutions? Use Lion 10.7.3

Thanky you Adobe for solving the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Hi David,

the same question about "MacOS X Lion 10.7.3" is asked there: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4202546#4202546. When I remember right, you understand japanese language. Would you please have a look there?

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to hans-g.

There's nothing to add to the Japanese thread. You've already translated my earlier comment. All I know from my contacts inside Adobe is that they're investigating. There is no solution yet.

I don't know if it's related, but the Mac version of Dreamweaver was built using Carbon, the old Mac API. Adobe is in the process of converting Dreamweaver to the Cocoa API. I don't know how far the conversion process has got, but Dreamweaver CS5.5 certainly uses Carbon for some, if not all, parts of the program. Until Dreamweaver is completely "decarbonized", I imagine there will always be a danger of things breaking when Apple releases a new version of Mac OS X.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Hi David,

thank you for your efforts and your detailed information.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to David_Powers

Hi Guys,

I'm also experiencing this and I just wanted to mention, it seems when a file is copied and then pasted, the original file icon appears. Granted it doesn't make sense to copy and paste your entire site just to get the icons to show, but on a per-file basis this works.

-Kennedy

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to shiruna

Anything yet on this situation?

RD

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

Just to add a clue to the situation...

In my case, the icons for the images disappeared first. Then several days later the icons for the HTML files disappeared.

The blank spaces where the icons should be are still clickable.

System: Mac OS X 10.7.3

Dreamweaver: CS5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Chinmayo

Same problem with Dreamweaver CS 5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Chinmayo

I think I found the solution:

To bring back the lost icons (on Mac) - go to your user configuration folder for DW, (~user/library/application support/adobe/Dreamweaver/en_US/Configuration) and edit the Extensions.txt file by adding JPG,GIF,PNG,PDF to the first line (should be the line with ':All Documents')

Now files show up with DW icons and the thousands of console errors are not being generated.

Adobe should be embarassed that such a simple solution wasn't found by them for this issue. I, like many others have found the lack of communication by Adobe in supporting its products, a major negative for their company. And their lack of support will be reflected in my willingness to give them money for their products.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to crockej

I think you misunderstood the thread. We're talking about file icons not showing up inside Dreamweaver's FTP browser, not files we've associated with Dreamweaver. I'm also not getting any console errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to crockej

Did that opened DW and the same thing, see screenshotDWCS5.5SSHOT.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to mentlity

Make sure to include the 3 letter extension of any file that doesn't have an icon in the Extensions.txt file (MOV,SWF,ZIP,FLV).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to crockej

Did that, still the same.

rd

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to mentlity

You guys are talking about two different things. The solution posted by crocketj (correct me if I'm wrong) is for files that you want to open with Dreamweaver not displaying a Dreamweaver icon in the finder.

The problem that mentlity has, which this thread is about, is ALL file icons not appearing inside Dreamweaver's FTP browser.

These are two totally seperate issues and one solution doesn't fix the other.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to Kennn213

I was looking at the original post which shows icons not showing in the local view (not the remote view). But for my situation, it fixed the problem for both the local and remote view (on my laptop and my tower). If this solution doesn't work for others, sorry... good luck in finding a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 12:37 AM   in reply to crockej

I can confirm that the solution posted by crockej does indeed work, I am not by any means saying that it is a perfect solution, and am sure that it is not the actual fix, but it does work, I landed up having to add JPG,GIF,PNG,PDF,SWF,FLA,ICO,SWZ,MPR,PSD,XLSX,INDD,AI all to fy file list and although this was 90% of the missing icons fixed, it still requires more like m4v etc.

Think of this as more of a temporary solution to the problem, but it does work.

This is what my /Users/XXXXX/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5.5/en_US/Configuration/Extensions.txt file looks like now.

HTM,HTML,SHTM,SHTML,HTA,HTC,XHTML,STM,SSI,JS,JSON,AS,ASC,ASR,XML,XSL,X SD,DTD,XSLT,RSS,RDF,LBI,DWT,ASP,ASA,ASPX,ASCX,ASMX,CONFIG,CS,CSS,CFM,C FML,CFC,TLD,TXT,PHP,PHP3,PHP4,PHP5,PHP-DIST,PHTML,JSP,WML,TPL,LASSO,JS F,VB,VBS,VTM,VTML,INC,SQL,JAVA,EDML,MASTER,INFO,INSTALL,THEME,CONFIG,M ODULE,PROFILE,ENGINE,SVG,JPG,GIF,PNG,PDF,SWF,FLA,ICO,SWZ,MPR,PSD,XLSX, INDD,AI:All Documents

HTM,HTML,HTA,HTC,XHTML:HTML Documents

SHTM,SHTML,STM,SSI,INC:Server-Side Includes

JS,JSON:JavaScript Documents

XML,DTD,XSD,XSL,XSLT,RSS,RDF:XML Files

LBI:Library Files

DWT:Template Files

CSS:Style Sheets

ASP,ASA:Active Server Pages

ASPX,ASCX,ASMX,CS,VB,CONFIG,MASTER:Active Server Plus Pages

CFM,CFML,CFC:ColdFusion Templates

AS:ActionScript Files

ASC:ActionScript Communication Files

ASR:ActionScript Remote Files

TXT:Text Files

PHP,PHP3,PHP4,PHP5,TPL,PHP-DIST,PHTML:PHP Files

LASSO:Lasso Files

JSP,JST:Java Server Pages

JSF:Fireworks Script

TLD:Tag Library Descriptor Files

JAVA:Java Files

SQL:SQL Files

ASX:Windows Media Advanced Stream Redirector

WML:WML Files

EDML:EDML Files

VBS:VBScript Files

VTM,VTML:VTML Files

SVG:Scalable Vector Graphics Files

Thanks to crockej for finding this semi solution for now.

Looking for Knysna Accommodation?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

Same system here, I am using Apple Lion 10.7.3 build (11D50b), I made the alteration with Dreamweaver CS5.5 closed, opened the file with a raw text editor called text wrangler, because I think a text editor like text edit might just change certain headers etc of the file, made the alterations and saved the file over the original. Launched Dreamweaver and it worked.

What text editor application did you use, I would only suggest bbedit, text wrangler, or nano / pico through terminal, these ways you will not change permissions or headers of the file you are editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

Yes it might very well be corrupted now, I have place a copy of the file I use in a yousendit link, give it a try and see if it works for you.

Extensions.txt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

Sorry, I am unsure as to why this is not working for your particular situation, could be multiple reasons, like maybe your Dreamweaver was installed for the root user, or possibly this solution will not work if you have more than 1 user, I am not sure, but happy that it worked for me. Sorry we will have to wait for Adobe to give us all a far better solution to this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to hackintoshUser

I understand from Adobe engineers that this problem is related to an issue with Mac OS X 10.7.3. Adobe and Apple have been working on the issue, and I'm told that it will be fixed in 10.7.4.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

This problem has been solved!  The latest software update from Apple fixes this issue.  At least it did for me on both of my MacBook Air and iMac.  The update will bring you up to OS X 10.7.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Chinmayo

My friend you must creat a new site from the site button  at the top middle of the Dreamweaver page then you can see all icons

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points