Currently Being Moderated

"submit by e-mail" does not work properly

Mar 24, 2006 6:39 PM

Adobe Designer 7.0
Windows 2000 Pro, SP 4
Compaq Evo N620c
No printer
512 Mb RAM

I went through the tutorial to create a office function survey form. Everything works fine except the "submit by e-mail" button. When I click on it, (as I test the file in the "PDF preview" feature), it prompts my desktop mail application, (FirstClass), to open up and create the e-mail with the .xml file attached to it. So far, so good. However, even though the e-mail address and e-mail subject fields are filled out for the object, it fails to add these values to the actual e-mail, leaving the fields blank, (on the FC e-mail), instead.

I cannot think of what I may be doing wrong here. I followed the tutorial to the letter and common sense tells me this should work. That I am aware of, FirstClass would not impede this process. Am I missing something?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2006 5:36 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    It could be your syntax, try: mailto:xxxx@XXXX.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2006 7:05 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    What version of Acrobat/Reader are you using? And what email client?

Chris
    Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2006 8:36 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    Can you try it using another email client like Outlook or Outlook express to see if it's something related to that?

Another thing you can try is instead of using the "Email Submit Button" use a standard button, set the control type to Submit, and for the URL specify something like: mailto:someOne@someWhere.com;subject=Some Subject.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2006 8:48 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    It's possible we do something when using the custom "Email Submit Button" that FirstClass doesn't understand. mailto: syntax like I suggested is pretty standard on the net though, so if it doesn't work like that I'm not sure there's much we can do about it.

Is this the First Class client you use: http://www.softarc.com/ ?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2006 9:29 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    Sorry, that was a typo on my part. That should definately fail because when it tries to parse subject=Some Subject as an email address it'll see that things are wrong. The proper syntax is:

mailto:someOne@someWhere.com?subject=Some Subject

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2007 10:56 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I've created a form, however the "submit by email" function is not working properly.

I'm using Lotus Notes as my email client, however after clicking the submit button, Outlook opens, and not Lotus Notes. I've already changed my internet browser options to be set to Lotus Notes, but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2007 4:56 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I am having the same problem - a form created in Live Cycle will only work with Outlook. Eudora and othr e-mail programs do notopen when "Submit via E-Mail" is selected. All works fine with Outlook, however. Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2007 11:42 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    Hello. I created a form using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.0; Since I have Adobe Professional, submit button works for me. However; when a user using adobe reader 7 or 8 uses the form; submit button doesn't work. Error: The operation failed. I really need your help as my manager is waiting for this form to be finalized. Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2007 7:43 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    Acrobat uses whatever email program is specified on the client. Change the default to what you want:

1. Open Control Panel > Internet Properties
    3. Click on "Programs" tab
    4. Select email client from "Email" drop-down (Lotus Notes in my case)
    5. Click "Ok"

Re-open the form and try to email again. It should use the email client you selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2007 5:50 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    As with above comments, on my workstatiion with Acrobat Pro v8.1, the manually created SUBMIT button sends the LiveDesigner form as displayed via Eudora to the account specified in both IE v7+ and FireFox v2.0+. However, when I go to my laptop that has only Reader v8.1+ it does nothing (not even an error message) using IE v7+ or FireFox v2+. The Submit button does not even react to a mouse click. I have checked and Eudora is my email client as required. Either browser opens Eudora when a standard e-mail link is in a web page.

BTW, on my workstation I tried Acrobat v8.1+ and get the same results as seen on my laptop. Also a dialog box pops up in Acrobat saying that only the data will be sent. Why have a form available if it can not be returned as filled out? I need the form returned, not XML data. Even if Acrobat was sending the e-mail, it would be of no use anyway without the original form. Looks like I am still looking for a e-mailable form processor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2008 2:22 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    PDF multiple Documents

HI , I have a problem , I need urget help..

1> I have a PDF fillable PDF form , with all fields empty,
    i have an notepad , which contains all data , like barcode , customer name ect,

I need two buttons on a PDF form,

When i click on one i need to browse the notepad and when i click on other all details in the notepad needs to be filled in the PDF form, in the two column that is given in the PDF , and separate pdf forms needs to be opened of diff customer ...based on customer name

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2008 7:23 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I am soooooo frustrated. I have tried everything! Create a custom submit button, use the standard email button, but NOTHING WORKS!!!!!

I have adobe pro 8 and lotus note v 6.1.

My problem is the email shows in the to line twice not allowing the email to go through. I can't get it to separate the emails by comma, so it just shows. Someone@somewhere.comSomeone@somewhere.com. IT IS SOOO ANNOYING!!!!!!

I can't upgrade my email or change it. That is an IT decision and is monitored.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 10:09 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I am having trouble with a similiar problem. When I created my pdf with Acrobe LiveDesigner I also used a submit email" button and it send the data.xml as the file when I needed the pdf version.

How can I fix this??

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 9:10 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    Email a form using Internet Email

Do you know why with Adobe Reader v8.1.2 users cannot get to the "Select Email Client pop up when clicking Submit by Email?

It works fine with earlier versions of Reader, but in v8.1.2 it goes straight to outlook. If they do not use outlook for their email, it only prompts to create outlook profile as opposed to the "Select Email Client pop up where they can save the data file to their hard drive and attach using Internet Email.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 1:28 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I have created a PDF with form fields that i want people to fill out and click on a button I have created with a "submit form" action (mailto:) to email the form as a complete PDF, but when you click the button it gives an error message: "this operation not permitted"

How can I make this work for everyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 1:44 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I have a similar problem.

I can create a form (Designer 7; Acrobat Pro 8; usage rights have been set) and include a "submit by email" button (tried both the default and creating my own submit button).

After filling out the form I click one of the "send" buttons and it opens a new message in my email client (Outlook 2003) with either the XML or PDF document attached, depending on which button I use.

However, the email doesn't actually send. I see a gray bar at the top of my email message saying "This email has not been sent" but clicking the "Send" button does nothing. It prompts me to save or delete the message when I try to close the message.

Outlook is running and everything else about it works fine.

Any idea why Outlook won't actually send the message?
    \bvb

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 3:46 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    Similar problem, Mailto button not working. Lotus Notes is my default mail client and yes it is selcted. All other forms are working properly, only adobe livecycle forms are not working with the mailto button. Is this product not meant to be used with Lotus?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 2:47 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I too have created a PDF with form fields from Acrobat Pro 7 version that i want people to fill out and click on a button I have created with a "submit form" action (mailto:) to email the form as a complete PDF, but when you click the button it gives an error message: "this operation not permitted. The user was using Adobe Reader 9. Please help.
    ----
    John

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2009 7:05 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    okies I'm having a similar issue I have Adobe 8 Pro. and use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. I have tried all the suggestions here and none of them have worked to make it email all I get is Acrobat is unable to connect with your email application.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 8:49 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)
    I also am trying to create a form in Acrobat 8 Pro, and have also found that the submit email button does not work. I've been testing the form in Adobe Reader 9, and when I click the "submit" button (that should email the form) I get an error "This operation is not permitted". Is there any solution to this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2009 3:42 PM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)

3 years and the 'submit by e-mail' problem still persists - Our company uses OpenText FirstClass as the mail system. I have LiveCycle 8 and submit buttons work perfectly through Outlook. However this is not a viable option. Would be nice if Adobe could make this work with other mail clients. Any solutions???

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2009 2:09 PM   in reply to Rob_Bennett

Hey,

I have one question... Are you opening the forms through Internet Explorer?

We have it set up where we keep a list of our available forms on our intranet. Users would open the form through a hyperlink on the list. We found we were having issues as well.

Both email submit buttons (the default one and one we created) were trying to open Outlook Express. We use Novell Groupwise.

The solution turned out to be changing "Programs" under Internet Options on I.E.

Email was set to Outlook. Once we switched it to Groupwise. No problem.

Hope that is of some help.

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 9:12 AM   in reply to (Brett_VanBenschoten)

I had a similar problem and finally realized that it had something to do with having 2 Outlook profiles loaded on my computer.  Even though I was logged into my personal email profile, the file was being stored in the second profile’s outbox.  As soon as I logged into the alternate profile, the form was sent. 

|
    Mark as:
  • rontiara
    82 posts
    Jul 2, 2009
    Jul 2, 2009 11:59 PM   in reply to DaleJ69

I'm having the same problem everyone else is.  I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird as my e-mail client, and when I click on "submit" in a form I created in Live Cycle, I get a dialog box asking me whether I'm using an e-mail program on my local computer, or web mail.  No matter which option I choose, nothing happens.  I get the same results whether I view the form in Reader or Acrobat.  I have Thunderbird set as my default e-mail client in Internet Options.  Just out of curiosity, I switched it to Outlook and it worked okay -- except that I don't have e-mail set up in Outlook, and I would have had to set up an account, etc.

Since there are so many people not using Outlook or Outlook Express these days, I can't believe the developers of Live Cycle still haven't solved this problem after something like three years.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2009 11:17 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)

I was having the same problem.  The email wouildn't submit from Reader.  From another forum I discovered the following.  "If you are trying to submit the entire PDF and not just the data, then the form has to be rights enabled for save before it will work on Reader.  Look under the Advanced menu on Acrobat Professional."  I just tried it and it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2009 12:20 AM   in reply to Bob14221

Dear "Bob14221".

You are truly genius!!. I have stuck with this same problem "This operation is not permitted." for 2 days. However, finally, I have solved the problem by your advice.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 10:37 AM   in reply to Bob14221

Thank you very much! I could not have figured this out without your help! Truly appreciate you sharing this!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)

Hi I'm currently using Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 and LiveCycle Designer 8 and none of the fixes listed so far have worked.  We use Lotus Notes 8.01.

ANY help will be much appreciated....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 5:13 AM   in reply to pamsnell

Have you managed to get this one sorted?  If not, can you explain what problems you are experiencing as there are several topics on this page.  Are you trying to return the data along with the pdf or are you tring to send it as xml?  or is it that you just cant get the reader to recognise notes as your email client?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 5:17 AM   in reply to Patrick.Aldridge

|
    Mark as:
  • rontiara
    82 posts
    Jul 2, 2009
    Oct 26, 2010 6:07 AM   in reply to Patrick.Aldridge

Quite frankly, Patrick, I gave up.  Nobody seemed to have an answer, and I don't

even remember all the circumstances.  You'll note that post is over a year old. 

I stopped using LiveCycle entirely.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 7:32 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)

Hi - Using Adobe Acrobat 8 Profession for the Mac.  I'm having a submit by email problem. I followed the instructions (perfectly) and keyed in (where it says URL): mailto: (and put the email address here). What I get when I test the form is a box that says....The SendMail doesn't know how to talk to your default mail client. Select a different mail application to us. I have tried my gmail account and my work which is an education account. Nothing works.

Help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 4:01 AM   in reply to LeahCopeland

Hi

I had the similar issues with Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 so I found the following and problem gone.....

1. Modify the underlying XML for the "Email Submit":  In LiveCycle designer with the form displayed, select the "Email Submit" button on your form.  Use the "View > XML Source" menu item to display the XML source code for the form.  The first line  of the "Field" tag for this button should be selected and visible in the window.  If you look down the XML tags inside the field you'll see an "event" tag that contains a "submit" action tag.  This is what needs to be modified.  Everything about the submit is controlled from here.  To change the submission format, change the "format" property to "PDF", so the "submit" tag should now look like this:

<submit format="pdf" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:">

2. Use a regular form button:   Place a regular form button on your form .  Look on the Object Window for the button.  On the Field tag, towards the bottom will be a set of "Control Type" radio buttons.  Select the "submit" option.  There should now be a "submit" tab in the Object window.  Switch to the tab and on the "Submit As" pulldown select PDF.

3. Use a JavaScript: This is the most flexible method.  With a script you can dynamically control every aspect of the data submission.  See these articles at the Acrobat Users web site.

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mai l-address

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2006/submitting_data

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 4:02 AM   in reply to (Mariano_Castagnello)

Hi

I had the similar issues with Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 so I found the following and problem gone.....

1. Modify the underlying XML for the "Email Submit":  In LiveCycle designer with the form displayed, select the "Email Submit" button on your form.  Use the "View > XML Source" menu item to display the XML source code for the form.  The first line  of the "Field" tag for this button should be selected and visible in the window.  If you look down the XML tags inside the field you'll see an "event" tag that contains a "submit" action tag.  This is what needs to be modified.  Everything about the submit is controlled from here.  To change the submission format, change the "format" property to "PDF", so the "submit" tag should now look like this:

<submit format="pdf" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:">

2. Use a regular form button:   Place a regular form button on your form .  Look on the Object Window for the button.  On the Field tag, towards the bottom will be a set of "Control Type" radio buttons.  Select the "submit" option.  There should now be a "submit" tab in the Object window.  Switch to the tab and on the "Submit As" pulldown select PDF.

3. Use a JavaScript: This is the most flexible method.  With a script you can dynamically control every aspect of the data submission.  See these articles at the Acrobat Users web site.

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mai l-address

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2006/submitting_data

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 3:17 AM   in reply to (George_Cotton)

George, I'm having problems too and about to post on the forum.

However I can get my form returned as a filled out pdf (but only from certain recipients, depending on their email client it seems).

When you create a new button, double click on the button and go to the actions tab, choose 'submit a form' from the popup and click 'add' (I know you've done all this already) .

Obviously enter the url (mailto:xxx) but check the "PDF the complete document" instead of the default "FDF include". Click OK.

That should see your form returned as a pdf document and not as data.

It just seems ridiculous to me that only certain recipients using certain email clients, can return the form!

hugh

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to netvpn7

I have created a form with a submit button in Acrobat Professional 9, and sent it out.

I can get a successful completed form pdf by way of reply but ONLY from some customers.

From what I have read above, this may be to do with the customer's email client (it doesn't reply if the user is on Windows Mail for example: a message saying "operation failed" comes up when the submit button is clicked).

I am desperate to solve this on behalf of a client and already have egg on my face.

Can anyone advise as to how I can get a reply from ALL recipients of the form?

hugh

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)