Skip navigation

The disk copy was changed since you last opened it.

Jan 18, 2012 8:05 PM

Latest reply: chinarabbit, Oct 21, 2013 7:14 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to kevin4545

This topic is a joke.

Check out this discussion to see how people who are serious about troubleshooting problems submit system info:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/751036?start=0&tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I am also getting this error with Photoshop 5.5 and OS Lion. Yesterday the Finder crashed and when I rebooted and opened Photoshop, every Photoshop file I had worked on that afternoon was corrupt - nothing else was affected. Desktop preview icons looked fine but when I opened them they were just odd colors and all layers were gone. The jpgs I had saved from psd were also corrupt. Don't know if this has anything to do with the error message. Adobe blames Apple and Apple blames Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Photoshop is reporting the file has changed, because according to the OS, the file has changed.

We don't know exactly what caused the OS to think tha the file has changed, but the OS does think that it has changed.

We'll keep working on it, but there's only so much of the process under our control.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

It only happens with PS

When people call me my phone makes a beeping noise; my office chair never does that, nor does my coffee maker.  Therefore it must be my phone causing all the telephone calls.

In all seriousness, it could be an errant program or malware, a Mac OS bug, or sure - even a bug in Photoshop.  My point was just that we can't yet draw conclusions without more evidence.

Chris wrote:

according to the OS, the file has changed.

I'm genuinely curious...  Are you looking, as we have been assuming up above, just for changes in the file modification date/time?  Or is there some other indication?

All I can say is I'm sure glad I use Windows.  The bugs just seem more manageable somehow. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 25, 2012 12:55 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Kevin, what is your os version? You could give the beginning of help>system info. (do not but the serial)

Could you give a list of the running applications? (this might be the critical part, somehow your system has something that triggers that issue, most other posters don't.)

Did you try to run only Photoshop? Off the network?

If other posters reported the same issue on other forums, invite them to post in this very thread (it is the only one with an Adobe Engineer in there), and have them list their system info, and programs. Until a pattern, or common denominator is found, there would be no way to fix the problem.

Does it occur if files are stored on an internal disk?

Did you try to replace the cable that connects the external disk? (checking the physical layer is step one in basic troubleshooting)

Thanks for helping us help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Is "12.0" a Lion, or a Snow Leopard, or a Precise Pangolin, or a dumb Raccoon?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to kevin4545

There's nothing snarky or cocky about asking you to answer the most basic troubleshooting questions.  You still have not answered some good questions from Noel. Nobody here is a mind reader and nobody here is able to see your computer. You've really got to work on communicating. That is why I suggested that you review this discussion. <-- That's a link. Click it. Read it. Learn.

You complained that you went through the "morass of threads [on this topic] and could not decipher it". We've gone through 48 posts until you decided to get around to explaining some very basic system info. By stringing us all along with no details, you've contributed to your own morass.  You've made it very hard for anyone else to decipher your troubles.

As the most basic troubleshooting step, you should be sure that your Photoshop software (and system 10.6.8) is up to date.  How would you know if Adobe has fixed your problem if you don't even have the latest update to Photoshop?

You are a veteran here too. You should know better about supplying useful information so that others can help you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 25, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

I don't get it.

Hey Kevin, the reason people may be getting a bit miffed is that you have come here looking for help, but you have provided virtually no info that could be useful for someone to help you, and you are clearly unwilling to provide any more, nor to answer specific questions.

I think by now we've pretty much determined there's no [ ] Stop Photoshop From Popping Up That Darned Message checkbox for you to configure.

You're actually rather lucky Chris Cox has taken notice of you and your issue at all.  He doesn't get paid to do so.  A bunch of other folks who also don't get paid to come on here and try to help you (and who know what they're doing) have asked you nicely for more information, and now you say you'll only provide it via PM to an engineer.  Think about that...  Your attitude hasn't been all that good here either, wouldn't you say?

But hey, keep it up.  Maybe someone will turn up that checkbox for you.  I'm starting to wonder whether the ultimate answer for you may be in getting a better computer.  One that actually just works.

Being the nice guy that I am, I really AM going to try to help you once more:  If your Photoshop reads 12.00 (which we found out after 48 posts), and it doesn't work right, perhaps you should consider installing the latest update to Photoshop, which is 12.0.4.  Adobe makes it so easy that even the most casual user should be able to update it.  Please let us know how that goes.

Good luck.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to kevin4545

I don't think you understand the tone of this discussion any better than you understand your computer. You would not be hearing negativity and anger. You would be hearing laughter.  This topic is a joke.

Have you updated Photoshop yet or are you wasting everyone's time here?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Marian - It's obvious you could use a vacation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Can we please all focus on Kevin's legitimate issue here? There are many of us receiving the same error. I thought this forum was about sharing information, not sniping at each other.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 25, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to gozgirl02

Most of us have been trying to focus on the actual problem.  Kevin, my tone has been level throughout this thread; I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.  I probably misinterpreted yours, though honestly I don't know any other way to interpret your refusing to even acknowledge questions posed directly to you.  I think I'll just duck out.  Best of luck.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to gozgirl02

The only person not focussing on Kevin's issue is Kevin. Perhaps you need to review this entire thread to realize the nonsense.  Kevin is unwilling to keep his Photoshop up-to-date or to explain what troubleshooting steps he has taken. If he pulled this crap with paid Adobe tech support, I'm sure they would hang up on him.

If you have this same problem, be smarter and more proactive than Kevin. Review the ideas in this discussion and the other lengthy discussions on it. Try all the suggestions until you find success. 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/805868?start=0&tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to kevin4545

I had the same problem then took advice of one of the posters and quit extensis suitcase processes in the activity viewer and that solved it.  (I downloaded a trial version of Suitcase Fusion a few days ago)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to DermotaPower

I'm a little confused. Did your problem start after you loaded Suitcase Fusion, or are you attributing Suitcase Fusion with solving the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to gozgirl02

Removing Suitcase Fusion solved the problem.

The problem was caused by Suitcase Fusion modifying the files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 8, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

In the case cited, with Suitcase Fusion modifying the files, were the modifications visibly apparent in Finder (i.e., by seeing an updated date on the files)?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to gozgirl02

suitcase fusion caused the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 3:05 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have checked the file in the finder window and it doesn't change until I save.  The message about the file being changed comes up if I don't save for five or six minutes. If I quit the FM core process it stops the annoying 'document changed outside...' message and brings up the warning below. I will probably clear extensis off my system- I am an illustrator that uses fonts occasionally so I won't miss it that much.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to DermotaPower

Yeah, Suitcase has/had a "design" where they modify the saved file a moment after Photoshop saves the file.

We have been actively discouraging this behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

You mean someone out there thinks that having the intrusive message pop up is a reasonable user experience?   I am a nervous saver...i.e I save my files every few minutes, so do not want any messages - in fact I try to get rid of intrusive warnings whenever they pop up. (like the  hot pins under the skin irritating 'less than 50% of pixels have been selected...' )

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to DermotaPower

So you don't want to be warned when you attempt to save over work you did in another application, and lose all that work without warning?

All of those warnings are there for a good reason.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 10, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Why not just give them a way to avoid seeing the warning in the future ([  ] Don't ask again), Chris?  Not everyone needs them. 

As an example (and I'm not saying I ever see this warning myself), if I'm working on my own imagery on my own computer, I am the only person who should be able to change it, and if anything in the system has changed it I want my save to overwrite it anyway.  I'm saving the file for a reason.  Let's not forget who's in charge.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

Thanks Chris. Can you reveal/distilll on this new simplified thread what I need to due to eliminate it?

(I went through the morass of threads and could not decipher it)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to kevin4545

and we wonder why they cant get along in the middle east...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to jo maure

Here's how I eliminated the issue on a Mac using Lion. Make sure the window that contains the file is not open on the desktop. As long as I do that, I don't get the message. Whenever I forget to close it, I do get the message. Hope this helps you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to gozgirl02

Nice of you to follow up with helpful info, gozgirl02, but could you please be just a little more specific?

Is that a Finder window that contains the file on the desktop, or maybe Bridge?  Details make all the difference.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sure. It is open in the Finder window. I don't use Bridge.I also noticed it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have the window in icon view or as a list - causes the problem either way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to gozgirl02

i can't believe it, but I think this worked for me too. Pretty stupid that the mac OSX is doing weird stuff like that in relation to my photoshop files. that annoying 'do you want to save cause it already has been or something' pop up was driving me mad. thanks for the help gozgirl02.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Wow, this is very very anoying indeed!

I think Adobe should do something about it even if it has somehing to do with the system or what have you.

Adobe Please! Get this fixed as soon as possible!

Hensen

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 4, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Hans Timman

Hans Timman wrote:

Adobe Please! Get this fixed as soon as possible!

Not that I have seen this problem, being on a PC, but I feel for the Mac users... 

Wouldn't a little [  ] Don't Show Again checkbox be an awfully nice thing to have in the warning message for those folks whose systems are habitually touching their image files?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

'don't show again' for every message would be great.  It used to come up for 'less than 50% of pixels have been selected'  - now I'm haunted by that message and 'your history brush will not work ...etc.'  - drives me nuts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Dmox Power

Sorry to revive this topic.

Running Windows 7x64 and I noticed this same problem directly after installing Suitcase Fusion 4!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to fcastro75

And Suitcase is probably modifying the files (see post 64).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:16 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Tested and verified! Suitcase Fusion 4's plugin was causing the problem. Unbelievable how worthless these guys have made this software over the years. Opened up suitcase and unchecked the plugins for photoshop and everything was back to normal. Its impossible to work with the plugin on if you save often.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points