Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to re-run the operation that is in complete status?

Former Community Member

This sounds funny, but here is my scenario:

I got 10 operations in a process. In the 6th step, it fetches the username to be assigned in the 7th step from the custom DB using JDBC service.

Unfortunately, the username was not maintained properly (with some mistyping in the DB). In the 7th step, I use Assign User service which takes the username got from 6th step. As it cannot find the username (as it was a mis-spelt name), the operation stalls.

If I see the status of the process,

I see

step1 - COMPLETE

step 5 - COMPLETE

step 6 - COMPLETE (fetching record from DB)

step 7 - STALLED (with error - user name doesnot exist)

i realized the error and corrected the Custom DB with right username.

Now my question is, How can I re-execute the whole process from step 6?

I checked it, but adminui doesnot allow to re-run the operations with COMPLETE status. if I rerun the step 7, there's no use as it is still holding the wrong user name.

Only option i see is asking the users to trigger it again from step 1 which doesnt make any sense for user as they think it's a re-work for them again and also there are multiple users in between the process who approves the form and they all have to rework on this.

highly appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

kc

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

This can be done!

Do not let the Operation Stall because of Invalid Principal. Because this cannot be retried using AdminUI.

Instead, stall the Branch so that you can retry the Branch through AdminUI.

Catch the Invalid Exception from AssignTask activity and connect to a Stall activity (as shown in the attached screenshot).

This will cause your branch to stall. After correcting the UserName in DB, you can retry the branch which will resume its execution from Step 6.

exception Handling.JPG

Hope that helps..

Nith

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

This can be done!

Do not let the Operation Stall because of Invalid Principal. Because this cannot be retried using AdminUI.

Instead, stall the Branch so that you can retry the Branch through AdminUI.

Catch the Invalid Exception from AssignTask activity and connect to a Stall activity (as shown in the attached screenshot).

This will cause your branch to stall. After correcting the UserName in DB, you can retry the branch which will resume its execution from Step 6.

exception Handling.JPG

Hope that helps..

Nith

Former Community Member

Hi Nith,

That was excellent. I am developing LC processes for a long time and wondering today how could I miss such a useful stall operation.

Thanks a lot for your help.

kc

Former Community Member

Hi Nith,

I tried exactly the same way and it worked perfectly in my test system. However in my prod system,

After I added the exception and routed to the stall process, I saw that process got halted this (below screen shot) way. After the invalid principal exception thrown, it should goto the next step which is Stall process that generates the stalled branch error.

As it got stopped here, now its not even allowing me to retry the operation. The process status is still in running state. I'm suing 8.2 ES.

I'm not understanding why the same steps worked in Test system, and not in Prod system.

very much appreciated if you can help me on this:

In PROD:

Retry Terminate

Operation NameStatusBranch NameStart DateCompleted Date
Employee Owner ReviewEXCEPTION THROWN main-branchFebruary 7, 2012 11:15:04 AM EST
Assignments [3]COMPLETE main-branchDecember 19, 2011 12:14:33 PM ESTDecember 19, 2011 12:14:33 PM EST
Search E OwnerCOMPLETE main-branchDecember 19, 2011 12:14:22 PM ESTDecember 19, 2011 12:14:32 PM EST
Apply RightsCOMPLETE main-branchDecember 19, 2011 12:14:22 PM ESTDecember 19, 2011 12:14:22 PM EST

In TEST: (this throws the branch error - execute13 is the stall process)

Retry Terminate

Operation NameStatusBranch NameStart DateCompleted Date
execute13COMPLETE main-branchFebruary 8, 2012 12:16:25 PM ESTFebruary 8, 2012 12:16:25 PM EST
Employee Owner ReviewEXCEPTION THROWN main-branchFebruary 8, 2012 12:16:24 PM EST
Search E OwnerCOMPLETE main-branchFebruary 8, 2012 12:15:34 PM ESTFebruary 8, 2012 12:15:40 PM EST

Thanks,

kc