Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

location digital audio recorder for PP ingest?

Feb 3, 2012 8:15 PM

Tags: #audio #digital #recorder

We'll be doing some serious editing in PP this year in the field. I"ll have a small crew w/an audio guy and I was wondering what digital audio recording device people are happy with.

My research thus far has come up with a real mix. Many have noisy mic preamps or don't seem to hold up well in the field. I"m guessing that any of these devices audio would be supported in PP,  especially wav, which many seem to record in.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

The Zoom H4n seems to be a popular choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

Dude, that things is built pretty solid.  Hold one in your hand, you'll see.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to Glitchdog

I like my Roland R 05 with a little deadcat sleeve http://www.rycote.com/products/mini_windjammer/mini_windjammer_for_por table_recorder/

very nice build recorder for €175,- easy , intuitive in use with enough but to many knobs and choices.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

I do use it.  I'm no audio engineer, just a guy with a somewhat decent ear.  They sound clean to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

I like my Tascam DR-100. There's a DR-100 MkII out now that is even better, but I don't have one yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

With the DR-100, the two channels are independently controlled, but what's great is that it's a dual inner/outer dial setup. So if you set both levels equal and rotate the dial, they move together... or you can hold the outer dial with a thumb, and adjust the inner dial with another finger to offset the input level. Then if you need to globally change them, you rotate the dial and they stay at the same offset. I hope that makes sense. It's perfect in my opinion, and I do exactly what you described. I have an ECM-77B lav mic and a Sennheiser shotgun that I run via XLR at the same time with this recorder, each set to independently corrected levels.

Another great feature is the dual battery system. I run the AA batteries, and when they die, it switches to the Li-Ion battery without stopping or any glitches. Then I can swap in new AA batteries and it will switch back to those, all while recording. You can set either Li-Ion or AA battery as primary, too. The Li-Ion is quick-removable via a small side door, so you can get extras of those or just carry extra AA batteries.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

Yeah, you can set it to record a single mic on both left and right, but I thought you asked if you can record two mics at discreet level settings. It is correct that you can do either, as it should be. (: The dual input dial is a giveaway that it does independent level recording, but I figured you couldn't see that in the pics, since you asked.

I'd get the MkII, but my original one works so well that it seems silly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points