Currently Being Moderated

CS5.5 Premium Design Student/teacher edition

Jan 9, 2012 9:49 PM

Tags: #creative_suite #student_edition

Ok, I have a problem and i'm not sure what to do,

I already brought the cs5.5 for school uses, however,

i am unable to provide adobe the proof that i'm still in

school and my 30 days is about be up,

so what can i do to switch from student to commerical use?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to DeafReaper

As long as you are a legally permitted to buy the software there is no restriction on using it for commercial use.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to DeafReaper

You say you bought the software. I believe you need to contact Adobe to get the serial number and the instructions should have been included.

Did you not do that?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to DeafReaper

If you cannot prove eligability, you can purchase the professional. Can you return the Edu version? Did you purchase the EDU from Adobe, or from a third party? I suspect a third party, and you may be able to return it. Worth Asking. Purchasing direct from Adobe EDU, you have to prove eligability first, so I suspect you purchase 3rd party?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to DeafReaper

Are you or are you not eligible to purchase an academic version? If so, did you purchase from an authorized reseller?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to DeafReaper

You’re still not making any sense to me.

Are you saying you bought the product and then let it sit for more than a month before sending in the request for a serial number? I didn’t know there was a requirement.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

This is addressed to anyone who wants to help.  (Hi Bob, you seem to be on this forum a lot.)

Here's my sad story:

I bought the Creative Suite 5 Design Premium Teacher/Student version last year from a guy with a good sales reputation stats on EBay.  He wrote that he's a trainer for the Navy and when he tried to register it, found out that his service to his country as a teacher-trainer didn't qualify him for the discounted version. 

I bought it and when I started back in school last week, I got a message from Identit-e that it was already registered. 

Trying to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, I wrote Identit-e back and asked if the registration was successful or whether it was aborted because the guy found out he's not eligible. 

They wrote me back and said that his registration was rejected because he was ineligible.  AND, that the software has been registered and I can't register it.  --Say what?!

I called them on their logic and they wrote back they won't respond anymore.  Case closed. 

So, being as Adobe told me the other night I'd have to take the issue up with Identit-e, and Identit-e has responded how it has -- I seem to be screwed here.  I don't have money to blow like this -- I'm unemployed and trying to retrain myself and get employed again by going back to community college. 

I'd like to keep a high opinion of Adobe and that it does have some caring customer service in addition to great products. 

WHY would they associate themselves with such a shameful, loser verification company??

Can anyone out there help me?!  ADOBE?!?

Thank you.

Veronica

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to Veronica Froelich

How in the world is this on Adobe? You were looking to save a few bucks, you gambled and you lost.

Academic versions, once registered can never be transferred. Those are the rules, and have always been the rules.

I’m sorry you got taken buy a thief on eBay. You’re not alone and some studies have said that up to 90% of the software sold there is pirated.

Next time stick with authorized resellers.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob,

I did not say "this is on Adobe."  What did I say that indicated that?

What I did say was:

1) That the software apparently was NOT ever registered, and therefore, I'm not convinced the guy I bought it from did rip me off.  Because

2) According to Identi-e, they did NOT allow the guy I bought it from to register it because apparently, he was not determined eligible for the Teacher discount.

3) But then, at the same time, they told me I can't register it because it IS already registered.  -- So, how can it be both registered and not registered?  And they refuse to explain that to me.

4) All I did say about Adobe is wondering how they can affiliate with this bozo Identit-e company, allowing it to interact with their customers in this sort of way. 

Thank you.

Veronica

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to Veronica Froelich

I’m sorry if I misunderstood, but again, you are treading in very dangerous waters with academic versions (or any others for that matter) and non-authorized resellers. Adobe is under no obligation to help you here since you went outside of authorized channels to buy the software.

Keeping in mind that I don’t work for Adobe, let me see if I can find anything out.

But…are you fully eligible for academic pricing? IOW, do you have student status because if you don’t fully comply with the requirements, we’re both wasting our time and you’ll be better off waiting for Creative Cloud to come along. BTW, have you taken this up with the seller and/or eBay?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob.  Yes, for future reference, I'll avoid EBay.

I thought I was helping both of us out: the Navy trainer who said he was stuck with the software he couldn't use, and me saving some money with my limited means. After I won the bid, he cautioned me, like you, to make sure I was eligible.  So, I do still think he was legit -- although he hasn't responded to my recent emails about this problem. He could still have been honest, but just not care at this point.

My last resort will be to contact EBay to report him. But, I'd rather just be able to use the paid for software (that, in theory, was legitimately paid for by him and that he was never allowed to register and use).  EBay's off-shore customer service was pretty really bad when I was buying this program, so I don't hold out much hope they'll be interested in helping me to recoup my losses, if it comes to that. 

And yes, I am taking community college classes on some Creative Suite programs, and my school was listed on the eligible school list. 

Thanks for your interest. 

Veronica

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Veronica Froelich

You got ripped off.

" But, I'd rather just be able to use the paid for software (that, in theory, was legitimately paid for by him and that he was never allowed to register and use)"

Adobe does NOT charge the credit card until they verify the education status. Therefore, if he paid for it, he was eligible. And if he wasn't eligible, he didn't pay for it.

I just bought the Academic Edition three days ago, and while my status is being verified I haven't been charged for the software. I belive they give you 10 days to verify your ID, after which they just cancel the order. In the meanwhile, I'm using the trial version, which works perfectly. As soon as my ID is verified, they'll send me a serial number.

I'm not trying to attack you; many people have the same issue with buying software (especially Adobe stuff) on eBay, and the short answer is that you have lost your money. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Anastasia Elpida

Hi Anastasia,

Thanks for your input. But is that the case it a person buys the Student/Teacher version from some place like the Academic Superstore?  A window of time to verify? 

And again, the Elibilit-e folks wrote me that he wasn't allowed to register it because he wasn't eligible.  Which makes it more confusing.

And for the record, I paid $255.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Veronica Froelich

Hi Veronica,

Sadly at this point it sounds like you were taken by an unscrupulous seller on E-bay.

To answer your Academic Superstore Question, that scenario would go something like this:

Billy is walking though Office Depot/ Adobe Mart/ GeekCity / whereever and decides to buy a student edition of photoshop to help with his design class.

He goes home, installs it on his computer, and it would run as a 30-day Trial. He would have 30 days to contact Adobe and provide them with his student info. If he cannot, then after 30 days the software would stop working. He could attempt to return it to the store, but would they take opened software like that?

At this point your best bet would be to file a claim with E-bay and Paypal.

Sorry

Jarrod

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to Jarrod_Cooper

HI Jarrod and Bill, I appreciate that you cared enough to write me regarding my dilemma. 

And I'm happy to report there has been a nice ending. 

Adobe came to my rescue and I'm now the happy user of Creative Suite Design Premium!  I am now Adobe's biggest fan that their customer service cared enough to help me out so I could register and download it!  I suppose they were able to investigate and confirm what I still believe happened:

That the software had been legitimately purchased (by the Navy trainer) from them or Superstore or wherever, and that he'd never registered or downloaded it (since his trainer status didn't quality as a teacher).  I sent them my student ID and Adobe class information.    

-- With all of the "pass the buck" corporations out there, it's so nice to find some big companies that really do care enough to do a little digging to find out the story and leave people out to dry.

And YES, I certainly have learned my lesson to NEVER AGAIN buy software from EBAY, even if I thought it was helping both that guy and me out. 

Adobe rocks! 

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to Veronica Froelich

We love happy endings around here.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...