Skip navigation
Pierre Courtejoie 7,038 posts
Jan 11, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Sneak Peek #3 about the future of Photoshop: dashed and dotted lines

Feb 8, 2012 1:42 PM

Zorana Gee shared another Photoshop Sneak Peek, this time about dashed and dotted lines:

Could it be useful in your workflow?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 8, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

DOT DOT DOT    DASH DASH DASH   DOT DOT DOT    Adobe do I need Morse code for my Photos I think NOT!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 8, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

OMG, and to think they're going to be simply giving this new feature away at the miniscule price they'll be charging!  Can't wait!

I want to see another sneak peek at that new Blur Reduction tool.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

WOW!!! And there I was getting psyched about that new deblurring algorithm?! HA! Well, I don't know about you, but I'm sold, yup, I'll pretend I'm an Apple Geek waiting for the release of the iPad 3; I'll be standing outside my local Best Buy at 2am in the cold the day CS6 is released... dots 'n' dashes... SWEEEET!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 8, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to pf22

And who said Americans don't do irony?  

It's still a nice feature though, and one that someone has just asked about in the last hour in this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I detect a strong sense of convergence (and personal underwhelming) .

Can anyone say Photostrator ?

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Sorry Trev, but I'm a Brit! We imbibe irony with our mothers milk, and take an extra helping of sarcasm with our jolly old tea!!!

In fact I'm sure that somewhere in a galaxy far, far away, Lord Vader prowls the corridors of the new CS6 class Death Star muttering to himself, "I find their lack of awe... disturbing!" (aaak... gasp... choke... gurgle...)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to pf22

Geez.  I'm not that far away, only San Jose.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Goodness, a sneak peak for dashed line styles? RLY? Seriously, this is getting more ridiculous by the mile... Simply someone post an official feature list and proper videos and be done with it...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Well Chris, staying with the Star Wars motif, it's time to give us the good stuff; we want "Empire Strikes Back," not "Phantom-bloody-Menace" with Jar Jar Binks!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to pf22

Well, the background save looks interesting – that might be a real time-saver.

Edit: And thanks to Pierre for posting the links.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 12:13 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

And how’s the Force doing these days?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Unfortunately as "teasers" they're not doing a very good job of sellling the movie! Of course, that's where the analogy breaks down, I mean, it's not as if George has said that if you DON'T go and see "Phantom Menace" in 3D he won't let you see any of the others!

Sorry, let me take this call... "Oh, Hi Ge... what? No, I was just ki... no, really George it was just a joke, HONEST! No, it's a terrible idea George... don't do it Ge... don't do... NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!!"

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to pf22

pf22 wrote:

"I find their lack of awe... disturbing!" (aaak... gasp... choke... gurgle...)

Aw!

-Noel

Seriously, thanks for the smiles, pf22. Good analogies!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I see them as teasers for an upcoming movie. They might not show the big stunts (that would be in a trailer), but give you a taste of what it's going to be like.

Fair enough, but to paraphrase pf22's statement: The lack of awesome is disturbing - and in that I include all the other vids from the leaked prerelease builds. Don't get me wrong, as I wrote on my blog, all those tiny things will make everyday work easier and people will not want to miss them once they get used to them, it's just that they don't make good marketing material and Adobe aren't doing themselves a favor by putting up those half-baked videos.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

What I would like to get with CS6 is a new backwards compatibly ACR which will not happen and the bugs introduced into old working features by CS4 and CS5 fixed and  No new bugs introduced into old features by CS6. I can somewhat understand Adobe's ACR plug-in not being compatible with old versions of Photoshop for ACR is evolving and its interface changes with each release.  I think Adobe policy of making user pay for bug fixes by deferring reported bug to future releases of Photoshop does not reflects well on Adobe.  I also view these so called previews more as market research being done by Adobe more then a tease or preview.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Or maybe an update to all the 8 bit only filters to make them work with modern document formats.

With a modern computer who would ever want to WORK in 8 bit mode?

You wouldn't be able to show it off in a video, because it's just the way it's supposed to work.  Aw darn!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Mylenium

There's a saying in Sales, "Sell the sizzle, not the sausage!" As Mylenium says, this is all work-a-day stuff, literally nothing to get excited about, you appreciate that it's there if you need it, otherwise it's just, "meh."

You'd think with all the abuse they've been getting over the new upgrade rules they'd want to blow us away with the new features in CS6, show us how we're gonna be happy to hand over our hard earned cash, but this... it's almost as if they're taunting us... "Yeah, CS6, dots 'n' dashes... yay!"

Meanwhile, back in that galaxy far, far away...

Emperor Palpatine: "Report Lord Vader, tell us of your progress..."

Lord Vader: "Our plans are almost complete my Master. Once the new CS6 Death Star is fully operational, we shall be the ultimate power in the universe. The rebel scum will be crushed... they will have no choice but to upgrade, wherever they may hide!"

Emperor Palpatine: "Very good Lord Vader. Very. Good."

~

"I got a bad feeling about this..."

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 9, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to pf22

Hey.  Don't let's turn our noses up at the 'Just do it' features. I love being to save as a JPG without flattening a document and reducing its bit depth, and I love that Straighten button that appears on the Options bar after dragging the Ruler along the horizon line. We are still a way off from a probable May/June release date, and you can't blame Adobe for wanting to build the excitement one small step at a time. It's irrelevant from our point of view anyway, because I bet most of the people using this forum will download CS6 on the day it is released. That's what I did with CS5, and I know for sure it will be the same with CS6.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Yes, we're all fanatics and will upgrade dutifully.  Many of us even care whether Adobe is successful (and hope that they are - wildly so), and I think this is where being underwhelmed stings a bit...

Don't get me wrong - it's GREAT that the UI isn't completely rewritten in every release just to make things seem New and Improved.  But there are "to work" things that have been neglected for far too long as well.  HOW MANY releases has Adobe ignored the cries for having the UI follow Windows settings for accessibility?  I have good vision, but not everyone does.  And those 8 bit filters?  People DO paint with this sucker, you know.  And the 20th century file saving mechanics - seriously?

But there's hope - the last sneak peek, showing how more stuff is being offloaded to the GPU...  Imagine a new level of interactivity in painting on big images.  Imagine quick Camera Raw preview updates and conversions.  Imagine whatever it is you wait on today being instantaneous.  There's definitely promise, and regardless of the various tongue-in-cheek noises I made above, I am excited to see what they bring out.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 9, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

A big 'Me too' for making more use of the GPU.  If you check out Bill and Harm's PPBM5 results page the MPE  (Mercury Playback Engine) gain is anything from 10 to 17 times faster!  For non Premiere Pro folk, MPE is where PP uses the GPU as opposed to the CPU for a partular function.  (Least ways I hope I have described that correctly, but Bill will no doubt clarify if I am not quite right.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

In my own development of plug-ins that use the GPU via OpenGL for accelerated display operations, I've seen up to a 50x increase in speed, and that's over a highly optimized CPU implementation, and that's no exaggeration.

It's also possible for results to be more accurate, as GPUs deal in floating point numbers quite well.  Even inexpensive video cards nowadays have teraflop (trillions of floating point operations per second) power?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I think dotted and dashed lines with gradients sounds useful. I won't have to go to Illustrator and back to get those functions.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY

I would like to see some other upgrades to the pen tool and vector masks:

• All too often I can't really see the pen tool line when I am making a vector selection – it gets lost in the clutter. Could there be an option to assign a color to the path? Hot green or magenta?

• I would like to be able to change the size that vector points display. If I could make the points appear slightly larger it would often make editing easier.

• I would like to be able to select two points very close to one another and JOIN them like in AI. I don't understand why the pen tool doesn't share more of the functions of the pen tool in Illustrator such as CUT. It sometimes seems like the vector tools in Photoshop and Illustrator were developed completetly independent of one another.

Attached (I hope) are images demonstrating how hard it can be to see paths. Can you see the paths? In the first image the path is there, not selected. In the second the path is selected. This makes my work very irritating sometimes.

Screen shot 2011-12-08 at 3.19.09 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-12-08 at 3.19.21 PM.png

Craig

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 9, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to craig cheatham

Craig you make some good points, and while I don't use Illustrator, I have had all the problems you decribe using the pen tool with photoshop.  I particularly like the idea of a coloured path as it sounds like it might fit into the 'Just do It' category of improvements.

BTW  Your image has remided me that stitches are not perfectly aligned on a center-line.  Stuff like that makes all the difference to making things look real IME.  I have also been thinking about how to 'quickly' incorperate the tiny shadow at the each end of Photoshopped stiches to give the impression of the ends being slightly indented.  I am a big fan of the Steve Caplin books, because he pays attention to those sort of details.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Just from the Blur reduction sneak in which it was impossible to see any improvement because of the filming distance, I could get the impression that it is a far more sophisticated process than Focus Magic. The developer said that it analyzes the convolution before it applies the deconvolve, and I believe that Focus Magic just applies a default lens transfer function. FM has a separate motion blur function and the CS 6 seems like it must handle both with one analysis.  I think I will upgrade as soon as it's out. Any guesses how soon?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Hi Lundberg

CS6 will be anounced in April and will be available to purchase a few weeks later, probably early May.

I have also seen the online demo of the deblurring algorithm. I'm primarily an event photographer, and probably 90% of my shots are taken at f2.8, so I'm always working with minimal DoF under less then optimal lighting conditions; I don't use flash. If this new algorithm were able to "fix" issues caused by Front/Back Focusing, for instance, I would probably upgrade pretty much immediately.

The problem, so far, as we have been discussing above, some of us (Me! LOL!) more snarkily than others, is that Adobe is not giving us any of the good stuff, just a bunch of, for me, utterly underwhelming work-a-day "improvements" or enhancements. And as I mentioned above, you'd think with the firestorm of criticism their new upgrade policy ignited, they'd want to simply blow us away with the sexy stuff, and show us exactly why we'd want to upgrade!

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the deblurring algorithm!

Good luck

Paul

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

The Blur Reduction deconvolution tool is right on target as far as it goes, but they're missing several key pieces of functionality before it reaches "Star Trek" level - unless there's a lot that wasn't revealed in that sneak.  That's not to say it wouldn't do amazing things, but I can envision a 2nd release that would increase complexity and improve results beyond what it could possibly do in the form shown.  Dotted lines notwithstanding, the Blur Reduction feature - that one single feature alone - will make upgrading to Photoshop CS6 worth the hundreds of dollars.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

We'll see if the Focus Magic people meet the challenge by June.

I'm a guy who is still using a 16 year old Microspeed Apple keyboard

with an ADB/USB adapter, and a Microsoft optical mouse held together

with transparent Scotch tape, so I don't upgrade at the drop of an app,

but I think the deblur tool is a biggie. The Focus Magic website says

they're not working on a Mac Lion version yet, but you would think they

would have to, soon.

I wish LaCie would set a sell date for their Thunderbolt to ESATA box,

which, like CS6 is expensive but a must-have.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 9, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

I've read that the deblurring feature is unlikely to make CS6.

OT:

pf22  I'd be interested in the distances you are shooting from?  I would be lost without a flash for my event work, and f2.8 often does not give front to back sharp focus of a persons head.  I don't use anything longer than 200mm though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

That not good, kemosabe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Why are you connecting "Focus Magic" with the sneak preview of the Blur Reduction feature?  Do you know of a connection?  As far as I know Focus Magic is a 3rd party app, unrelated to Adobe.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 9, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, Focus Magic is indeen a third party app, but like the Topaz inFocus plugin, some people believe them to be the current state of the art at fixing OOF and motion blurred images.  Focus Magic is old news, but I don't know if it has been updated recently.  inFocus is a more recent product, but while I am a fan of Topaz products in general, I could not match the performance shown in the demonstration videos.  But neither product would come even remotely close to what we have seen in the Adobe Max demonstration.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 9, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

You know I have just watched the Adobe Max video again, and it still makes my jaw drop!   Outstanding, and I can't wait to have access to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Hi Trevor, I agree with you about the video... "jaw dropping" just about sums it up!

I use the term "event photographer," but what I mainly shoot are gigging musicians in small bars and clubs, hence the less than optimal lighting I mentioned!

The two shots below are a good example of what I like to do, and why I don't use a flash.

I mainly use a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 wide open, and for the shot on the left, I was basically kneeling at the guys feet shooting up, and for the one on the right, I was shooting across the tops of people's heads from about 20ft away.

IMG_0487 e-mail.jpg IMG_9239 e-mail 002.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to craig cheatham

I don't understand why the pen tool doesn't share more of the functions of the pen tool in Illustrator such as CUT. It sometimes seems like the vector tools in Photoshop and Illustrator were developed completetly independent of one another.

Personally I think it is good for the Photoshop team to stay away from Illustrator’s methods, like the destroy-backward-handle-on-click-path-closing behaviour, the missing perspectival-free-transform, …

And how about »no keyboard shortcuts for Scripts« and »remove Scripts from Actions on restarting« in Illustrator? But maybe trying to enable users to work efficiently is not considered desireable for all of Adobe’s teams …

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 10, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to pf22

pf22  Nice shots.  Very clean and sharp.  I can see where you are coming from now, but I would call that concert photography. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Nice one Trevor, "Concert Photographer" it is, and thank you for the kind words... but wait, one of my pro-photographer clients told me that what I take are, "Environmental Portraits!" (Pretentious, Moi?!" )

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points