Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to align pieces the right way

Feb 2, 2012 6:49 AM

Tags: #text #align #flare

ok so i need to figure out a big mystery for me here...

i seem to never be able to get this right.

i have text and i want to connect a little flare from one of the letters

so i make a path with the pen tool and use one of the preset path profiles to make a little flare

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.37.15 AM.png

so i use the new cs5 width tool to play with the large end to get it to line up under the H but i cant get it to look right.... so i resort to outlining it. but it has so many anchor point so i went to path>simplify and made it better. However, I still cant get it to be exact? and yes I have smart guides turned on...never helped me

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.38.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.40.44 AM.png

so whats the secret? how do you get them to flow?

maybe someone can shed some light for me on how to achieve this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

I would say you are going about it the wrong way you outline the text then add to swash directly to the letter watch the video.

BTW if you hold the option key ( Mac) alt key (PC) while you have the pen tool selected you get the convert anchor point so you can can break the anchor point handles to make the point.

here is a video that might help

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/AddingSwash.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

adjust the points... ill post a quick tut now...

G

EDIT: yep: exactly how i'd have done it

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

I wouldn't dream of attempting anything like this without outlining the letters first.

There are various reasons for this which I won't go into now.

You say "... it has so many anchor points ..." but a simple sans serif H like this shouldn't have more than 12 anchors and a seriffed H no more than about 28, so that's not a problem.

Once you have outlined the type the rest should be very easy.

A bit of fiddling around with Pathfinder to join things up properly and you're there.

If you have a font editing programme like FontLab Studio and you have a lot of swashes that you want to add to letters, you might even consider adding the swash versions to your font. That way you can type them in whenever you need them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

You are missing the point  in that sure when adding a swatch where only one point has to match that is a good way to do it and probably the best way that is different from what you are showing where it has to blend to two sides.

True he also use a shape to add to a where he had two sides but if you take better look you will that it is not the smoothiest of transitions.

If you wish to do it that way by all means do so but I think is not going to be the simplest way.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

use Pen Tool to trace it and adjust.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

You don't have to draw the swash as a separate object. Just add a single anchorPoint to the middle of the segment:

...and yes I have smart guides turned on...never helped me...

It should now be obvious why you use SmartGuides. It's the only reliable snaps behavior Illustrator has.

...how can I add 1 handle...without having to drag them out and then go and make sure only one side has them...I want to add 1 handle...

In Illustrator, you can't. Illustrator's silly separate Convert tool does not let you extract one handle at a time, as does the far better Bezier interface of Adobe's other drawing program, FreeHand, which can do this with fewer moves with fewer tools and can ensure tangency of a single handle by use of Connector Points, which AI has never provided. Just more reasons why getting comfortable with SmartGuides is important in this cumbersome and tedious program.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points