Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does OL freezeframe when I hit record?

Jun 9, 2011 10:28 PM

I have a Canon XH-A1 HDV camera, and I'm trying to capture footage in OnLocation CS5.  When I use Premiere CS5 to capture video from the camera it works just fine.

I want to save the heads on my camera by recording directly to OnLocation (e.g. my computer).

I can open the software select the camera, calibrate the camera, etc. All of that works perfectly.

The problem is that when I click the record button in OnLocation everything freezes.  The OL monitor becomes a freeze-frame, and OL becomes useless.  If I then close OL, I can't open it again until I restart my computer.

Any suggestions?

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

24 GB RAM

Two 600GB 10,000 RPM Velociraptor HDDs (RAID 0)

Using Adobe CS5 Production Premium

P.S.  I do NOT have a webcam connected to this computer.

Replies
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 9, 2011 10:53 PM   in reply to RFDPiper

I have exactly the same issue with OL CS5 on both my laptop and and workstation when capturing HDV from a Sony Z1.  I have disabled anti-virus and  diskeeper, to no avail.

As with you, OL on my workstation doesn't even attempt to drop into record, it just freezes.  At least the laptop attempts it, but it soon crashes.

As stated in a recent thread, so far, my only workaround has been to reinstall OL CS4 on my workstation.  Works like a dream.  Today I'm going to do the same on the laptop and see what happens.

Anyone from Adobe TS here?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2011 9:06 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

This is most likely the result of OnLocation seeing a webcam or some other device/app as a video device, which interferes with normal operation. In short, it's a bug in OnLocation CS5.1. If you have a webcam connected or integrated, disconnecting or disabling it should resolve the problem.

For a little more information, please see this post: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/638230?tstart=60.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to RFDPiper

Does the Devices list show anything other than your Firewire-connected camera? Webcams are the most common thing to be enumerated there, but we've had reports of programs and other devices also being in the list, and they result in the same bug.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Oct 24, 2011 9:13 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Are you sure that the GFX card is compatible?  That was the problem with my laptop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points