Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can anybody help creating a black edge/frame around the image?

Feb 12, 2012 11:11 AM

Hi when I used to do my own printing (black and white) I had used a rasp to slightly enlarge to hole around my negative carrier thus producing a black "mask" around the image-I was very fond of the effect.

Does anybody know if it is possible to achieve the same effect using photoshop? I have PS CS5 I would be really grateful for any info...

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 12, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to sacha kelly

Use the Canvas Size command.  Ctrl Alt c  or Cmd Option c

Make sure the 'Reletave' check box is ticked.

Use figures twice the size of the border you want (because it is split between each side, and top and bottom).

Chose Black for the colour. 

Hit the  OK  button

Job done

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 12, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

You could also have a look through Adobe Exchange for Frame Actions.  Or use Google for the same.    THESE look interesting for instance.

I just had a look for a link on installing Actions, and acording to this LINK it is way easier than I realised.  So you have done me a favour.   Noel, et al.  does this really work?  Yes I know I could just try it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

THESE look interesting for instance.

I just clicked on that link and a popup window greeted me on the website asking me to subscribe to their newsletter.  "For my convenience" the order form was pre-populated with my Facebook profile and email address.

Am I the only one who finds that creepy?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

But they claim that "We respect your privace" on that pop-up page! 

In all seriousness, yes, I'd agree that it's not nice that they dig stuff out of your computer, even for your convenience.

Ever visit a web page with ads, and have the ads pop up showing you stuff related to what you searched for online a week ago?  It's a valid concern and something that you should be concerned about that people collect information about us while we are online.  Fortunately, what they can collect is somewhat limited.  At least until the next unexpected exploit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

"For my convenience" the order form was pre-populated with my Facebook profile and email address.

Am I the only one who finds that creepy?

Definately not!  I do not do social media and dislike it very much when a site "does me a favor".

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 12, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Sorry about the pop-up guys.  It was just something I found on Google, and it didn't hit me with a pop-up.  I must admit to being slightly wary of the link because it was not clear if the frame actions were free or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to sacha kelly

Maybe something like this?

http://www.myphotoshopeffects.com/photoshop-edge-fx/

(There is a free version, but it only seems to work in cs4 without being updated for cs5)

(you might be able to update the free panel with configurator 2.0)

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& loc=en_us&extid=1983522#

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points