Skip navigation
AlanHTP
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble with Adobe Table v.3 in PM7

Feb 9, 2012 3:11 AM

I run PM7 on a desktop (isolated from internet) but recently have had trouble with Adobe Table v.3. Insert table is ok but closing table brings up error message and Table shuts down. Table is ok on screen but double-clicking does not open Table so have to copy table to continue work on Table. Delete old table and replace with new version but again attempting to close brings up error message.

A perhapsrelated problem is when PM file is converted to PDF most of the tables vanish - the pages are blank.

Just installed PM7 on laptop (internet connected) to see if this gets round problem but conversion fails because computer does no detect a postscript printer driver. Came to website to download PS Driver - no luck to-date.

Attempts to upgrade Adobe Acrobat also fail.

Solutions please!

AlanHTP

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to AlanHTP

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Pagemaker forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to AlanHTP

Adobe Table is nothing short of an abomination that never really worked correctly.

Best advice is to move to InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Use the .eps option to link the tables to pagemaker, and pray.  I feel worse about adobe table than Bob does, it cost me a lot of money back in it's day and drove me to Quark for annual reports. Indesign has table functions built into the program, a much better solution, than a very buggy external program.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to AlanHTP

AT3 was very poor. 

For various options about tables, see section 4 in old FAQs which are here: http://www.bigjohnd.org.uk/PM_FAQs/PM_FAQs.zip

But the only long term robust solution is to move to InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to AlanHTP

I remember that Adobe Table was so bad that I used it only twice, and was so disappointed that afterwards  I did all my tables by hand.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to AlanHTP

All evidence to the contrary.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to AlanHTP

AlanHTP wrote:

I have InDesign v2. but have never had the time to swop over from PM7. As long as my Printer accepts my PM files I have no incentive to change.

AlanHTP

If I said InDesign 2 was PM9, would you reconsider?

Load up InDesign, open/convert your PM files to INDD, and you'll not look back.

Tables are straightforward (direct insert from Excel for example) and creating PDFs for your printer couldn't be easier.

PM is obsolete, and only gets more problematic with age - which is why Adobe have forgotten about it and developed InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

Did Indesign 2 have tables? Tables were late to come to Indesign, but I can't remember which version.

If you decide to go the Indesign route and neeed/want to upgrade I would recommend doing it soon as Adobe is changing thier upgrade policies. Right now Indesign 2 is not eligible for an upgrade, but Pagemaker is, but pretty soon only the last version of any product will be eligible for upgrades.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Jay Chevako wrote:

Did Indesign 2 have tables? Tables were late to come to Indesign, but I can't remember which version.

If you decide to go the Indesign route and neeed/want to upgrade I would recommend doing it soon as Adobe is changing thier upgrade policies. Right now Indesign 2 is not eligible for an upgrade, but Pagemaker is, but pretty soon only the last version of any product will be eligible for upgrades.
    Jay

It does.

InDesignCS2Table.gif

And my copy of CS5.5 is on its way - should be here tomorrow!  Adobe are discounting the upgrade to CS5.5 from CS2 by 20% and I couldn't let that pass.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Native tables were added to InDesign in version 2.0.

Re: upgrade policy. I think with Creative Cloud the whole upgrade thing is going to become less of an issue.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

PM won't be available via the Creative Cloud, that's certain!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

I’m amazed that it’s still available at all.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

So it is, though the PM page is covered with Adobe "has discontinued development of PageMaker" and "reasons to move on to InDesign" including the perennial upgrade discount to the current version of InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

That was CS2 not 2, but I'll take Bob's word on it.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

It was absolutely 2.0. I remember waiting for it to arrive for a project I was just starting that needed tables.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Jay Chevako wrote:

That was CS2 not 2

Close…

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to BigJohnD