We are using RoboHelp 9.02 (just got 9 and the update loaded the next day so we are at 9.02) and Robo Source Control 3.1 and when we check out a file and edit the file, we can't save the file in the Design view. If we click HTML view, then we can save the file. We have reproduced this on multiple files on both of our computers accessing the server. Now, using RoboHelp HTML on a local project works normally, only when we access the files on the server do we have to select HTML view in order to save the topic.
While this is an acceptable work around for the short term, we need this bug to get investigated and fixed unless someone knows of a checkbox somewhere we need to check to save in Design mode.
I will be happy to provide any additional input and or test patches to assist in the fix for this bug. It is completely reproducible and is constant on every topic tested. Source control is working to the extent that if the topic is checked out by one the other can't access the checked out topic. Once the topic is saved in HTML mode, then the topic can be checked in and the changes are visible by the other author.
After installing Robo 9, Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 was removed from the computer and MS Word 2000 was not functional. I upgraded to Office/Word 2003 and I can now use Word 2003. I have not attempted to reload Acrobat yet but that is next on my list. Acrobat Professional was removed from both computers during the install. Word 2000 existed only on the laptop. I was in the queue to get upgraded later in the year so they gave me a key and Word 03 seems to be functioning normaly. Did not check Excel or PowerPoint 2000.
Other info you may be interested in knowing:
What I was saying in your other post was not necessarily that it will work differently on a 64 bit machine, simply that there were known issues with a 64 bit machine that are referenced in
It may be the fix referred to there is simply to make it work the same way as on a 32 bit machine and clearly that is giving you grief. Only way way to find out.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
This problem still exists on both 32 and 64bit versions of Windows XP. It is exactly regular, meaning it happens every time on every topic that we have tried. Think this is a bug? Think it will ever get looked at? Should we open a service ticket with Adobe? They have been incredibly unhelpful in the past. Their script will probably tell us to uninstall our operating system and start with a new hard disk. That is how rediculous their help was last time. It turned out to be a data base file was corrupt. Don't have a clue this time. We can use the backup in Robo8 and it all works perfectly so something is not getting converted in RH9 properly.
After identifying some issues in our global variable file in another project, I had a look at this project and found a few variables were blank, had a mystery character entry, or had font information applied to the variable. Rather than change the variable back to only a number or character with no formatting and entering text into blank variables, I deleted the the unused variables from the project which just happened to be 99% of the variables because we split that part of the project into a stand along project. Deleting the variables resolved the issue where we had to switch from Design view to HTML view in order to save a topic. I find this rather strange because none of the topics referenced the errant variables. Now we are left with only the version variable which every topic references in the footer. Everything seems to be working great now. If you are having this issue, have a good look at your global variables file, line by line, to see if there is anything other than text or numbers and remove everything but the text.
Europe, Middle East and Africa