Skip navigation
deimosphobos
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade Question Premiere 6.5 to Pro CS5

Nov 29, 2010 5:55 PM

Hi all.

Wonder if anyone else here has done this or if anyone knows.

I have a full copy of Premiere 6.5

I recently built a new editing PC with Win 7 64 bit.

Well Premiere 6.5 will not install on Win 7 Home Premium. So I started to look at my options.

I see there is an upgrade to Pro CS5 for around $280 but here is my question.

Premiere 6.5 is not installed on my machine, or any other machine and I have a valid key, the original install disks, manuals, etc. It won't install.

Will the updage version of Pro install on my new machine or does it require that 6.5 be installed first ?

Anyone else gone this route ?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2010 6:19 PM   in reply to deimosphobos

That upgrade price sounds like a real bargain!  Too good to be true maybe ?

Any way...

You will find that there is a path to follow when you install your app on a new machine that includes your old registration.

Many of us were installing CS5 to new 64 bit machines and did not have previous versions installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 6:37 PM   in reply to deimosphobos

As far as I know, Adobe only provides upgrade installs going back 2 versions

That means CS5 will install if you have a valid CS3 serial number to type in when asked, but P6.5 is not a valid upgrade product

But... call Adobe sales and ask to be sure

Or... provide the link where you saw the upgrade, so we may all take a look to see the list of qualifying products

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 7:04 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I thought adobe kept the price higher for older version upgrades, but apparently not:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/whatispremiere/

Click on the Upgrade button.  The drop down box shows "any version of Premiere" (meaning in context not Premiere Pro).

And you do not need to have 6.5 installed.

Absolutely call and confirm, but there's a 30 day money back guarantee.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 8:03 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Interesting... I will GUESS that Adobe has dropped the "only 2 versions back" requirement to encourage people to switch to 64bit and CS5... 'cause I know I've read before that upgrades would only go back 2 versions

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 12:28 PM   in reply to deimosphobos

I just upgraded my Premier

6.5 to CS5 for the upgrade price mentioned on the Adobe site.

All you need is the serial number of your original 65. version during the install process along with the

CS5 serial provided by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 1:46 PM   in reply to John T Smith

There should be an upgrade path chart at the Adobe Store.

As for any version upgrade, I would definitely only go with the Adobe Store, or a known good, trusted and certified Adobe reseller. The majority of other "offers" are very likely bogus.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to C6Pilot

That is good to know. Their upgrade path chart stops at PrPro 1.0, but your experience belies that.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 2:34 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Any version of Adobe Premiere means Adobe Premiere 6.5 and earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 3:17 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann, had not caught that. Duh! Thanks for pointing that out. Glad that I posted the screen-cap, and did not go from my "reading" of it.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to deimosphobos

Using Windows 7, Adobe Premier 6.5 will not install. 

Has anybody tried installing Adobe Premier 6.5 on the Windows 7 OS and using the upgrades Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, then installing the Windows XP Mode?  Does that work?

In these tough economic times it is difficult to justify the cost of a new computer that comes with an operating system compaired to the cost of a program that exceeds the cost of a new computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to 007-Braveheart

First, regarding an upgrade....it would cost you $1,100 to upgrade from your version of Premiere to the Production Premium CS5 suite that has everything. It's a good deal.

That being said, you can also upgrade to a STANDALONE version of Premiere Pro CS5.5 for only $300.

Even better, if you don't mind being a version back from "brand new," you can buy the FULL Production Premium CS5 suite (NOT CS5.5) from Amazon and other places right now for like $900.

If you really want to stick with 6.5, you can try right-clicking on the setup.exe icon and choosing WinXP as the compatibility mode. That "should" work but as I've not had 6.5 since 2003 I couldn't really tell you. That's the only real chance you have, and then once it's installed, you'd want to do the same compatibility action on the Premiere 6.5 EXE in your program files (x86) as well.

Another suggestion I might give you is to wait (if you can) til about 2 months from now and see what Adobe does with the Creative Cloud pricing and options. It might be more economical solution for you, especially if you are only an occasional or hobbyist editor just looking to get a hold of some powerful software every so often.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to 007-Braveheart

If you have Win7 64bit PRO (or higher, but not the Home edition) Microsoft has a free download to allow old softare

Virtual XP is, of course, designed for ANY old 32bit program, not just the EXAMPLE program discussed at this link... so if you have an old 32bit program that won't work with Win7 64bit PRO or higher, it is free to try this to see if it solves your problem

This is only ONE example of using Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693

-And a Tutorial http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/using-windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by- step/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to John T Smith

To me it seems that Virtual XP is very hit & miss.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points