Expand my Community achievements bar.

Calling Reader Extensions from a Java application

Former Community Member

Hello there!

A client would like to invoke Reader Extensions from a Java application and get the extended PDFs back...

Their software generates course certificates and they want to be able to apply digital signatures using Adobe Reader.

So I've got two questions:

1. Is it possible to extend a PDF document created by a non Adobe software? This software was developed by the client (an Univesity IT team).

2. IF answer to question 1 is YES, is it possible to call Reader Extensions from a Java application and get the resulting PDF back automaticaly, without using the Web interface?

I imagine this will require a process in Workbench, right? If so, will they need any additional module other than Reader Extensions?

Thank you for any ideas!!

Marcos

1 Reply

Level 4

Reader Extensions can apply rights to any conforming PDF document, not just ones created by Adobe. That being said, the bulk of the testing is done with Adobe-generated files, so there can be problems at times if the PDF has errors that Reader overlooks (I'd call that a bug).  So you can diagnose this a bit by opening in Acrobat and saving the file and then reader extending. [Note that I'm suggesting diagnostic technique rather than part of a process.]

To run this, you'd create a web-service endpoint for LiveCycle and have your Java code call the server via the web service call.

Keep in mind that you do need to have proper RE licensing in place so that reader-extending is done on a per-document or per-recipient model or other licensing worked out with Adobe. I assume that you have this in place.