Skip navigation

OpenGL Error Code 7

Jan 24, 2011 11:17 AM

Latest reply: Darren Kelly, Jul 17, 2013 6:01 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2011 9:05 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

I've tried 3 different driver versions. Currently I'm using the very latest one. I've been looking into a utility that intercepts OpenGL calls to aide in troubleshooting...but so far it's just been looking at the download page!! Seems more of a development tool, but somehow thought would be good to be able to see what specific OpenGL call (or sequence of) would lead to a crash etc.Then again, what do I know?!?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 7:08 AM   in reply to SteveHoeg

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to Premiere. . .Having the same problem you guys are talking about.

What I'm experiencing: PR5.5 crashes when working with motion effects on jpg files, after resizing and/or repositioning on the 3rd or 4th edit. This is completely repeatable.

The background conditions:

• Just built up (2 days old) a new Dell T5500, dual xeon e5520, 250GB Intel 510 SSD primary, OCZ 60GB SSD scratch, 2x1TB Seagate striped (and always backed up) for storage, Pioneer BDXL, nVidia Quadro 2000 D.
    • Fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, Premiere 5.5, Lightroom 3.4. All windows updates applied - SP1. Latest nVidia drivers - just installed 275.89 off nVidia's website, their web tool confirms I'm on that package. Device manager reports I'm on driver version 8.17.12.7589 for the video card? nVidia control panel reports video BIOS version 70.06.35.00.04. My card is running at about 60 deg C; don't know if that is normal or not.
    • Had to edit the "cuda supported cards.txt" file entry from "quadro 2000D" to "quadro 2000 D" to get GPU assisted MPE to work.
    • Much like some of you reporting this issue, I am working with high quality jpg and video clips, in my case this is from a Canon S95. The photos started as RAW in Lightroom, exported as high quality jpg, 72 ppi, 3000 on the long side to allow for "Ken Burns" motion effects. The stills are 1.5 mb to 5 mb in size.
    • If I go to software only MPE, I can edit to my hearts content - no issues. I can actually deal with this workflow, it is relatively easy to go back and forth and I'm not seeing much difference in performance while I'm doing those edits (other than the crashes of course). But obviously would like to track this down and not have the workaround.

I hope this info helps the cause, I am willing to share any other info, or files if it will help.

I've worked with various forums for many years, this is one of the more helpful and professional that I have ever seen.

Thanks - Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 7:33 AM   in reply to FourLeaves Workshop

Jeff

Regarding the Video card temperature, this appears to be normal.  In my case (Nvidia GTX 580) if left at the default settings the idle temperature will run at 60 degrees C.  Using EVGA's software I manage to keep this at 50 degrees C, however the cost is slightly more fan noise.

As to your issue with PP5.5 crashing, If I understand your explanation correctly it seems to be similar to what caused one of my video clips to do the same.  This is an issue Adobe needs to address, or at least make a recommendation on the limits of the resolution acceptable.  Naively I started with images that were 100MB in size, eventually reduced them to 140ppi (from 360ppi) with a file size from 2MB to 15MB.  These were stacked six to seven layers deep.

At that point PP stopped crashing except for one image which had been severely edited in photoshop and merging some of the layers solved this problem.

Hoping you will solve your problem soon.

Cheers

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 8:06 AM   in reply to mikeklar

Michael,

eventually reduced them to 140ppi (from 360ppi) with a file size from 2MB to 15MB

PPI is completely irrelevant in video editing. The only thing that matters is pixel dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 8:17 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm

Thank you for this.

Yes, you're absolutely correct, ppi is irrelavent and image size can also be misleading depending on layers.  Pixel Dimension is an absolute (if there is ever an absolute).

That said what do you recommend as the optimal pixel dimension for use with videos?

Cheers

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to mikeklar
    For me, I have found that keeping my files at 72 dpi (not sure if the
    dpi makes a big difference in regards tot the crashing) and a maximum
    size of 3600 pixels on the long edge of the image keeps PPRO from
    crashing using my graphics card.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 8:58 AM   in reply to {KMS}

KMS

There is definately a preponderence lauding 72 ppi as all that is required.

Frankly, it is difficult to see much difference between 72 ppi and 140 ppi on HD monitors.  However, with colors it can be seen if there is a graduation such as in a shot of a blue sky.  Then higher ppi does mitigate this.  Of course it depends on original shot having a color bit rate in excess of 10 bit, preferrably 14 bit or even 16 bit.

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to mikeklar

Thanks Michael, that makes me feel a little more comfortable. I had no frame of reference on Video Card temp.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to mikeklar

Michael,

You still make a mistake here:

Frankly, it is difficult to see much difference between 72 ppi and 140 ppi on HD monitors.

There is no difference, even if you were to have images at 1000+ DPI, because it is utterly meaningless in video editing. PPI is only relevant on paper.

The only thing that matters is pixel dimensions and anything larger than what you require for your output format only burdens your system and performance. If you output to BRD, there is no sense in going larger than 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Assume you have a 1920 x 1080 pixel sized still and you show that on a 5" monitor and also on a 70" monitor, the PPI would be hugely different, just to show that PPI is completely meaningless.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm

You are saying a pixel dimension of 1920 x 1080 ppi is all that is needed?  Regardless of ppi?

Please bear with me on this; lets take an image in Photoshop at 360 ppi with a pixel dimension of 6048 x 4032, at 72 ppi the pixel dimension is 1210 x 806 based on everything being relative.  Not withstanding that "constraining proportions" in Photoshop may have to be disabled, does your argument still apply, or are there additonal changes you would suggest?

Yes, I do appreciate Photoshop files are based on print or web usage, printing is what I'm most familiar with and dpi is something I leave to printer's RIPs.  However, until now I was under the impression that PPI is something that applies to video.  Perhaps wrongly based on several images given me to add to a video.  These images included large portions of blue sky and when displayed on HD video monitors there were clear steps of color changes from light to dark areas.

This has stuck with me ever since unfortunately those files are no longer available to check.  Of course it is possible these images were defective, but to the best of my recollection the files were of reasonable size around 4 or 5 MB in JPEG format.

BTW what does the acronym BRD stand for?

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to mikeklar

BRD = Blu Ray Disc

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2011 4:22 PM   in reply to mikeklar

There is no "inch" in video. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2011 4:27 PM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I just ran into the exact same error.

on CS5.5 with a nVIdia GTX 285 and driver version 280.26.

The project is all stills and they are large and they are all scaled to frame with dissolves in between (yes a simple slideshow.)

Program crashed as I was scrolling through the timeline - happened multiple times at different points.  I'd get to a frame that wouldn't resolve and then a crash.

I turned off MPE and I can work with the project and am rendering out the final now - but wow is it slow without MPE!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 1:50 PM   in reply to David in Burbank

Well, I'm happy to have found this thread, and the work around - turn off my expensive GPU (GTX 570 in my case), but this doen't come near fixing this.

Has anyone, even Adobe or Nvidia found a solution to this. I'm one of those guys who switched from Mac & FCP7 to PC and Premiere 5.5. I did it for the real time, which I do love. However, in the last few weeks, I've reinstalled the system 4 times, removed and reinstalled CS5.5 5 times, spent a morning on on line chat with nvidia (who suggested the latest beta drivers. which did nothing, I'm running 280.xx.

Is there a final fix? Anyone?

DBK

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to Darren Kelly

I just updated to the 10/24/11 driver update and got the same error.  Never had a problem until the 24th.  Had to pull the card and put in an old GTS 8800 as I had a project due with a deadline.  Adobe, Nvidia.... either of you have an answer or fix?  Everythingn my PC is up to date.  This is VERY frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 3:06 AM   in reply to TheHouseSnooper

I started to get this problem when I updated the Nvidia driver to 280, from 266.  But I was getting it with 100 Mb/s 1920x1080i.avi files captured via a Matrox MXO2.  There were no still images on the timeline.  It occurred only when I had several effects applied, e.g. colour correction, Mercalli stabilisation, scaling, unsharp mask.

My system is three years old, with a quad core 3GHz CPU, 8GB of RAM and a 1 GB GTX460 card, using 5 HDDs  - System, Project, Capture, Render files, Cache

With HDV files there are no problems at all.

Reverting to 266 largely removed the problem.  It still occurs very occasionally, and the system is somewhat unstable, with the very high data rate .avis.

My guess is that the system is over-stressed, probably more RAM, plus a Graphics card with more RAM would improve matters, but really my system is too slow overall for these large high data-rate files.

Roll on Sandy Bridge-E, or should I wait for Ivybridge????

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 6:22 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I have some news to report.

First my system

AMD Phenom III - 1090

16GB of RAM

Nvidia GTX570 - 1.28gb (drivers are the most recent, October 24 drivers)

MPE is turned ON

I read this thread, and a ton of others, and tried changing all my still images. I resized them to 72dpi and always under the 1920X1080.

I opened a new project, and rebuilt a short 10 second project that always causes the crash. This included changing the size of each jpeg, and the position of each jpeg. All the things that usually cause an Open GL 7 crash.

I worked the project for 30 minutes, no crash.

The key here is the size of the images, using the latest driver. Make sure they are under 1920X1080 for size, and at 72 DPI.

I hope this helps. Please try it and let me know what you think.

Cheers

DBK

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 11:47 PM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Hello,

My system is: Intel Core i5-2300, 2,80Ghz, 8GB, GeForce GTX 470, win7pro-64bit, PrePro5.5.

I had the same problem but solved immediately installing version (roll back) 8.17.12.7533.

Thank you for helping.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 3:45 PM   in reply to Sonama268

I don't have this problem, but I have significantly changed my computer.

1. I upgraded my MB to the latest and greatest AMD 990x chipset

2. I upgraded my system drive from a 5400 to a 7200

3. Did a complete new windows install, and CS5.5.2 install.

4. All the latest drivers.

Things are rock solid now for about a week. I've been cutting everyday for 8 hours or so.

Good Luck

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 5:02 PM   in reply to Darren Kelly

Darren,

Have you been editing with any high resolution images? if so, how big are they?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 11:33 PM   in reply to bandgeek8910

The news is very bad my Friends,

After roll back the program worked for a few hours, and last night gave me back the open GL error 7.

I work on a documentary with more than 2,000 takes and over 500 images, with the greatest more of 7000X12000, 96dpi.

The technician 10 min ago (it's morning in Greece) told me that we should put the Quadro 600 to solve problems.

What do you think? It's a good idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 1:23 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Have Adobe/NVidia come up with a fix for this yet? Just build out a new system with a Quadro4000 and getting the same error just cutting some DVCPRO HD footage.  Long clips, but nothing exotic editing wise.  First project on the machine is making me nervous.  Deadline today.  Having to reboot every 1/2 hr is going to be an issue!  Help!

i7 950

Quadro 4000

24g ram

mxo2 mini

graid 4T

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 1:39 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

win7 64

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 7:10 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I've got the same frustrating problem:

CS5.5 Production Premium

X6 1100T - 6 CORES

Just upgraded to 16gb memory from 8gb

GTX 560 Ti 1056mb

SSD boot disk

2tb 7200rpm Scratch disks

Stock- no OC.

-Had tried selecting my graphics card GTX 560 ti instead of the 'auto select' option in Nvidia control panel, but still crashing.

I believe my system has sufficient muscle to handle a simple AE import of a Photoshop 3 liner text into premiere pro, and there should be no reason for the above extremely frustrating error message on my hardware being insufficient to handle the load...

Would appreciate any advice on how to remove this irritating message and constant hanging. Extremely frustrating to pay thousands to go through this pain.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 4:21 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Hi,

I use GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro 5.5.2.0 with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti and was experiencing the dreaded OpenGL Error Code 7 with the latest NVidia drivers, v285.62, when importing large stills (4000 x 3000 px) into the preview monitor or timeline. As everyone has said it's very repeatable and can be worked around by resizing the images in an external application prior to import.

However, I managed to permanently fix the problem by rolling back to NVidia drivers from March this year, v267.59.  Any chance of a fix with the latest drivers please, especially since this issue seems to be so easily reproducable.

If it helps anyone, you can download old drivers by browsing to "Beta and Older Drivers" on the NVidia download page.

Thanks,

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Disabling the Mercury Playback Engine and setting it down to "Software only" will indeed fix the issue. The problem, obviously, is that this lessens performance drastically, especially when dealing with HD, and complex codecs that the GPU really excelled at. It is hard to place the blame on this one, for it appears that the GPU is getting overloaded, probably with multiple layers of large format images, and then locking up. But, on the other hand, perhaps PPro should be monitoring GPU load and adjusting accordingly. So, nVidia or Adobe--who's to blame? Probably both.

To get around this, in your PPro project, go to Project menu--->Project Settings---->General. Then, at the top drop down box change it from "Mercury Playback Engine GPU" to the option below it "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" or something similar to that.

Also, if you right-click on your Program Monitor display, go to Playback Resolution and drop it down to 1/2 or 1/4 if your editing performance is severely sluggish, it will help--though you will lose visual quality (not real quality).

Adobe and nVidia--please go to lunch (I will pay for it!) and settle this problem. Standing offer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Any new news on this bug? I am having the same problem with jpg's from my D7000 and any motion or scaling in the timeline. I have Nvidia 440 GT with 285.62 and PP CS5.5. Has anyone tried the beta Nvidia drivers?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I solved the problem when I switched to nvidia quadro 600.

Now is slower but the system does not stop as before.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Sonama268

The nvidia quadro 600 does not seem like an upgrade for a GTX 470.

Glad it is working for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Of course not. It's a cheap solution

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Has anyone tried the beta nvidia drivers? I have found that resizing my stills to 3008x2000 seems to prevent the crash using the hardware MPE. Tried using psd, targa and jpg all crash at 4000px or greater with hardware MPE, so format is not the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to solomonAvi

I've had pretty much the same experience. I've assumed it was the limits of the GTX 480s cards memory.

If I have to edit huge images I'll do it in software mode, as we don't have $$$ for a super Nvidia card.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed at all in CS6? I appreciate it may be a combination of NVIDIA drivers and PP, but any insight in this matter would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to 3dmus

Not sure about CS6, but I am certainly having OpenGL errors on my rig with CS5.5 since updating CPU to i7-3930K and the motherboard to an ASUS P9X79. Predictably perhaps, PPro freezes when appllying Collorista II or MB Looks. The only way around this is to disable GPU rendering via the MB Looks standalone app and via 'Options' in the Collorista II tab in PPro. Extremely annoying. Sorry if I'm covering old ground, but this was working fine with my mobo/GPU/driver combo before changing boards. This isn't the large stills issue but just straight 1080p Canon 5DMKII video.

Also noticing the loss of my second monitor all of a sudden which is sporadic - investigating that now. The system completely freezes too, so no option for task manager here, just a hard reset. Not fun at all.

Red Giant have offered me nothing but the rather lame "update your graphics driver" excuse. I've run through just about every Nvidia driver since the 260 series and still no dice. Even tried the latest beta driver 301.24. No good either.

I have also encountered an issue with the Windows "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service that caused Premiere to freeze on project loading. Once I disabled this service Premiere works fine, except of course when I try to use Collorista II or Looks with GPU enabled. Crashes out Photoshop too BTW.

I'm on ASUS p9X79, i7-3930K, 16GB RAM, GTX480 (Hack applied), PPro 5.0.2, NVIDIA 296.10. Not sure but this may help someone or myself. RED GIANT have just gone very quite on the support line...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to d4digital

Why don't you update to 5.0.3 at least?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:12 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

My bad Bill. It was a typo. Sorry, I meant to write 5.5.2.0, which is what I am running.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to d4digital

Problem solved!

- Uninstall/Reinstall CS5.5.2.0

- Uninstall/Reinstall MB Suite (including deleting registry keys and running CCleaner)

- Bought a GTX580 just to make sure

- Run Driver Sweeper; reinstall Nvidia's latest

Bingo. All fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Well...just dowloaded the trial of CS6 and played around for a bit. Managed to get an Error Code 6 ("Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specs") within half an hour. To be honest, I was stress testing it a bit by using a few large JPG images, accelerated effects etc, but still disappointing that it leads to a hard crash. Checked that I have the latest NVIDIA drivers etc.

I was really hoping that CS6 would have at least semi-fixed the issue (by not letting it crash at least), but so far...

I guess I will have to resort to re-sizing pictures etc. Still for things like a Ken Burns type effect it's much more preferred to start with a large image.

(GeForce GTX 460 SE via the CUDA "hack", 1GB)

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to 3dmus

> I was really hoping that CS6 would have at least semi-fixed the issue (by not letting it crash at least), but so far...

> ...

> GeForce GTX 460 SE via the CUDA "hack"...

Do you have this problem when you are not using an unsupported hardware configuration?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd - to be honest, I don't know b/c I don't own a supported one. I would be more than willing to buy a GeForce GTX 470 or other supported card if I would know this would fix the issue. Right now though, it seems that it's not just unsupported cards that suffer from this issue (judging from the replies in this thread)?

Other than this btw, I love the changes in CS6....and compared to CS5.5 the performance really improved too.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points