Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Pro 8 and Reader X - Enable Extended Features for Form

Feb 16, 2012 10:49 AM

Tags: #acrobat-pro

Using Acrobat Pro 8.3.0, I "Enabled Usage Rights for Adobe Reader" for a fillable form created in LiveCycle Designer 8.0.  The following error message occurs when opening this form in Reader X:

"This document enabled extended features in Adobe Reader.  The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available.  Please contact the author for the original version of this document."

The form has not been changed and as mentioned, I am the author.  Any solutions to allow user in Reader X to fill-in form?  Do I need to upgrade to Acrobat Pro X?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to Indiana Homeland

Hi,

Can you please tell me the version of Reader installed on your machine. If you're not on the latest version of Adobe Reader i.e. 10.1.2. You can dowload the latest version from : http://get.adobe.com/reader/

After updating Reader check if the issue still exists.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Akash_Gupta

I am having the same problem and have the most current version of reader 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Indiana Homeland

I fought with this for days ... this fix worked great, thanks!

Numerous of the forms I was filling out (from a government agency) consistently exhibited this issue. It drove me crazy!  They were fillable forms and (in theory) could be saved and edited later.  My experimentation showed that whenever I entered data in a multi-line field and then saved the file, the next time I opened the file I would get the dreaded "extended features no longer available" error message and the form would no longer be editable.  I could enter data in single line fields, checkboxes, and date fields without triggering the problem.  And the problem was triggered if I used Reader, Acrobat Pro, CutePDF Pro or CutePDF filler to edit and save, so I really doubt this is has anything to do with the version of Adobe reader, or the date on my computer, or any of the other suggested fixes I read sprinkled over the Internet.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to JJB-trainer

Just a suggestion, if you add "restrict editing" security to the document, will that prevent this from happening?

I had the same issue and realised afterward that there was no security assigned to the document, and what probably happened is that a user used Acrobat Pro to open the document which resulted in the error.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to bisheng

I am having same problem with a 2011 year tax PDF fill in form I JUST got from IRS website.  The actual form is the 2011 8829.

I can not open the PDF from the web browser or if I save it to my local drive. 

I have not been able to open it at all ... thus I have made NO changes.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4.

After trying to open the doc (nothing displays) I go to properties, and it says ...

Title: 2011 Form 8829

Author: SE:W:CAR:MP

Created: 12/23/2008

PDF Producer: Adobe LiveCycle DSesigner ES 8.2.

PDF Version: 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)

Tagged PDF: No

Fast Web View: No

What do I do to resolve this ... I only have this version of Reader ... nothing else.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to thed51

It just opened fine in my AA8 in a browser window. You may want to ask in the Reader forum since that is what you are using and not Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Indiana Homeland

Thank you SOOOOO much, this was exactly what I needed.  I searched high and low for this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points