Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

App update with application loader: bundle is invalid -> CFBundleShortVersionString error

Feb 17, 2012 5:22 AM

Hi,

A client of mine is trying to update their app. They created a new multi-issue viewer (using ver18).

When uploading this app with application loader they receive the following error:

"This bundle is invalid. The key CFBundleShortVersionString in the info.plist file must contain a higher version than that of the previously uploaded version".

(see screenshot)

When checking, the update app indeed had a lower version (iTunes) number than the one already on the app store. So I figured that was the issue, but when selecting a higher version and trying again the error still persists.

I couldn't really find anyone on the forum who previously had this issue.

Tips are always welcome

Thanks

bundle-error.png

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 17, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

We saw this error message back in the prerelease days when the Viewer Builder first came out. Some apps that were created manually had a higher version number than the Viewer Builder version. The Viewer Builder automatically increases the version number with each new build. The workaround was to keep building new updates of the app in Viewer Builder until the version number is higher than the submitted version number.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 17, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

With the prerelease workaround, it required only a few updates, not hundreds. Let me look into it. This issue will likely affect multiple customers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 28, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bart - Someone from Adobe can edit the version number on the Viewer Builder server. Contact your Adobe representative or Gold support.

Message was edited by: Matthew Laun, removed reference to my direct email address. All Gold Support have access to do this now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

Hi Bob

I'm Bart's colleague, busy with WoodWing migrations and yes indeed, we will have this issue with all of our customers updating their WoodWing Readers to Adobe Viewers, but also all other WoodWing partners and customers.

If someone from Adobe can edit the version number on the Viewer Builder server, it's a nice solution, but he will probably have a lot of work in the next months.

Another solution would be to give us the possibility to modify the CFBundleShortVersionString in the Viewer Builder, while creating the app.

The Viewer Builder could suggest the number, with increment, like it does now, but it should be editable, with a warning "take care, has to be greater than previous version".

It would be perfect to have this implemented in the Viewer Builder of sprint 19.

Or, if you don't want to give this possibility to every users, make a special version for WoodWing migrations.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

Hi

I have the same problem, we built the first app for our client through WoodWing, now we want to update the app with the Adobe one. During the upload of the new app, created with the Adobe Viewer Builder we get this error code:

This bundle is invalid. The key CFBundleShortVersionString in the Info.plist file must contain a higher version than that of the previously uploaded version.

When we open the Info.plist we can see that the Adobe Viewer Builder creates 1.0.1 for the Bundle Version String short, while the older WoodWing app has 2.1.

Marketing version in Viewer Builder = Bundle Version String Short or ?

version.jpg

That means everybody who is changing from the WoodWing to the Adobe reader needs to go through Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 27, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Nortau

I'm not sure if this version number issue has been automated. Please contact Matt Laun (mlaun@adobe.com) directly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points