Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best practices for creating web graphics

Feb 13, 2012 11:32 PM

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2012 11:32 PM   in reply to Community Help

What are the best practices for creating web graphics?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Community Help

So the question was an answer to the question that was posted on Feb 14, 2012 12:32 AM that was answered on Feb 14, 2012 12:32 AM in response to the article that was posted as an answer to the question from Anup Rav who answered the question on Feb 14, 2012 12:32 AM with the same question as he asked in the first place.

Anyone seen a Wonga-Wonga bird recently?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Had it not been too swift, there would have been a Wonga-Wonga sighting on the very same day last year, Steve.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3491846#3491846

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

You read my dirt track mind with ever increasing velocity, Jacob :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Community Help

What did I miss?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Bert_Philippus

Hi Bert.

What did I miss?

A chance to tell how much snow you have (had):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3297767#3297767

And some very nice threads like this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3682626#3682626

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Bert_Philippus

What did I miss?

A couple of old fogies talking to each other in code :-)

This was a good one too:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/849825?tstart=120

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

"A couple of old fogies talking to each other in code :-)"

Jacob, maybe fill Steve in as to how old of a fogie I am...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Community Help

Steve,

Bert was here when I joined (the Win side of) this forum.

And it was he that made the shirt:

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Bert_Philippus

Hi Bert.

Whereabouts are you?

I'm up-a-bit-and-left-a-bit from where Jacob is. Maybe he'll fill you in if youi're not there in 3 guesses.

Here's a clue. One of my t-shirts.

Picture 2.png

The text means:

A PRESENT FOR A BLIND FRIEND

THIS SHIRT IS RED

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

You gave your blind friend a RED shirt? You must be from Sweden. Iceland (I googled)

I'm from Holland, which is a little to the left and a little down from Jacob.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to Bert_Philippus

I just told him it was red. He wouldn't have known the difference anyway :-)

Right first second time.

Do you know (of) John Kerr?

I understand that he's quite well known in  music circles in your neck of the woods. Lives in Amsterdam.

Composes his own music and does his own CD covers and stuff. Quite good at both.

We were in graphics together at art school in the UK in the late 60's.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I may be from Holland, but I live quite a bit left and quite a bit down from where you are... Colorado.

Don't know of John Kerr. Holland has a population of over 15 Million, and I don't know more than maybe 20 of them.

Hi Jacob. No word from Steven Fish other than a holiday letter...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Bert_Philippus

O.k., misunderstood you.

Thought you were still in Flatland.

I'm a Brit, been living in Iceland for over 40 years.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Community Help

Nice Banter, guys, sorry about the clumsy wording, but could somebody help with the question at hand? (BTW, I love Iceland, been there 4 times, want to go back again!)

Anup does not know, from where he posted, about the first post of this thread, so all your posts are confusing to him.

Mods might need to delete the off topic posts, so that the help files only have relevant info.

Anup, the pages listed below the introdution text have links about relevant info on web graphics.

Do you have a more particular question, a problem you are struggling with, or seek for more general guidance on producing web graphics with Illustrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Anup does not know, from where he posted, about the first post of this thread, so all your posts are confusing to him.

Mods might need to delete the off topic posts, so that the help files only have relevant info.

Not getting you at all, sorry. We are used to banter here. :-)

Why doesn't Anup know where he posted from? If he's not at home he's probably out and if he's confused to boot he's definitely out..

Delete from help files as you will, but not from this forum. Or are responses on this forum somehow echoed somewhere else?

And as a question to the original answer; the best practices for creating graphics of any kind are practice, practice and practice, preferably in that order.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I think Pierre's last name roughly translates to "short of joy"...

(Oops! sorry I bantered.)

Did you know I was one of the first 4 people to be banished to the sin-bin, a special place for unruly speedbanterers...?

Bring in the mods.

The old forums, gone for good they are.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

There are some in-depth aticles on doing web design with Illustrator, e.g. http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/01/17/productive-web-design-with- adobe-illustrator/

And there are some more that can be researched on the web.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre,

Delete from help files as you will, but not from this forum. Or are responses on this forum somehow echoed somewhere else?

Steve is right. If anyone starts interfering with this forum because of what happens in some other place, I am afraid you will find that the natives here will act natively. I for one would think at least thrice before replying to any thread with Community Help as the OP if posts may be deleted.

We have a very nice and friendly forum here, with no moderation since Len Hewitt resigned as Forum Host quite a few years ago (on the Win side long before the fair forums were replaced by the new merged one, three years ago), and many years without any post or thread being removed.

Like Bert and many others, I joined (the Win side of) this forum in another millennium.

Apart from that, the question in the first post is rather woolly because it may cover anything from the way to perform a specific task (which needs to be stated), over subjects like should I use Align to Pixel Grid or not, to how web graphics should look/behave/be constructed (which has little to do with this forum).

So: Anup Rav, please ask a more specific question. And thank you for bringing old friends together.

A comment on the basis for the question, namely the article, and especially the advice to use web safe colours, as stated in the link About web graphics:

1. Use web‑safe colors.

Color is often a key aspect of artwork. However, the colors you see on your artboard aren’t necessarily the colors that will appear in a web browser on someone else’s system. You can prevent dithering (the method of simulating unavailable colors) and other color problems by taking two precautionary steps when creating web graphics. First, always work in RGB color mode. Second, use a web-safe color.

I am afraid any native here will wonder which millennium that piece of advice was written in.

This may be a key issue with sending questions about Community Help articles over here: if we are supposed to give (useful) answers to the questions raised by those articles, we should have to spend time reading them, time that could be used to answer questions here, and we might very well find (other) things that we disagree with.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Yep. Web-safe colours went out with the dodo. Is there anyone out there whose monitor can still only display 256 colours?

If so, they might consider updating to the present millennium.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to Community Help

Sorry, if "Banter" was taken as a scolding remark, it was not my intention.

I see that there is a very nice atmosphere in the forum, jokes are done in a respectul and cheerful manner, and Bert, I like to make my name lie as much as I can

Unfortunately, because of ho the help files comments are mirrored with the forum threads, (Steve, that's why I said that Anup does not know that the posts are seen here as well) there is no way to delete in one side and in the other one...

So the best solution, to keep the good spirit of this discussion might be to split the "irrelevant" posts to another thread, where it might be possible for me to copy the confusing text that started it all. I realize, as well, that the question is more than vague, hence my question to the OP.

I am a moderator, mostly on Photoshop/Bridge, but am also mod for the Former Community Help. I don't want to change the habits of this forum that I mostly read, but now that I play more and more with AI, you might see my name more often. In the Ps/Bridge forums, I try to reach a consensus before intervening in splitting threads, etc.

I don't want the AI U2U folks to feel threatened, as some Ps users have been by a new moderator a few years ago. But I've been killing spam in the AI forum for a while...

Having a mod might be useful to promote threads, promote best answers or to post announcements, some posts can now be converted to Articles, useful to create an FAQ...

Feel free to contact me if you need help with such things.

Mods are not only badge and stick wearing policemen... I've been moderating other places for years, and yet was responsible for most of the "banter" there.

Please try to look with the other side of the coin, this whole discussion is reflected on the help files, and it does not make them look instructive...

What would be the best process, other than splitting the thread (and not doing too much capillosectomy) to keep the help files relevant, yet keep the fun posts in here?

"This may be a key issue with sending questions about Community Help articles over here: if we are supposed to give (useful) answers to the questions raised by those articles, we should have to spend time reading them, time that could be used to answer questions here, and we might very well find (other) things that we disagree with."

What if you look at it this way, this new process makes you find wrong information on the help files, and point it out, so that it gets ultimately corrected?

Pierre (Waving a white flag) I came in peace!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre,

I believe everyone here see the jokes and banter as an integral part of the flow of the threads where help is sought and given.

And I believe our knowing what actually hit us, and that the Community Help threads are beaming lost souls down amidst us without their knowing where they are, will make us better understand their needs.

I also believe that it would be a good thing if those in need of help realize that they get it here, and that they can get help here with other things: they may wonder less, and they may enjoy whichever fun is made.

This thread started OT because it was seen as OT in the first place, with no one knowing the context. If Anup Rav  specifies the question, I am sure it will be (more) back on the topic.

What if you look at it this way, this new process makes you find wrong information on the help files, and point it out, so that it gets ultimately corrected?

I am afraid that most/all, like myself, would find it hard enough to keep up with this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre, this well-meant alliance of a mediocre help system and this forum will be doomed to failure, I suspect.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Community Help

Glad that you see that I don't have bad intentions. I am between a rock and a hard place. I would not want to change the nice atmosphere of these premises, yet, the help files comments do need curation.

Maybe do we need some ironing out.

Kurt, I don't know why you say that of the help files. They might be better, indeed, making suggestions on how to improve them is always welcome!

Many questions have been answered there by Jean-Claude Tremblay, Gustavo Del Vechio, and I think Monika Gause.

At the beginning, the help files had a commenting system, whose purpose was to bring corrections, or to post relevant links brought in by the users.

With time, more and more questions have been asked there, and answering them was difficult as there was no way to add images, videos, text formatting...

Often, users have been sent here.

So the decision was made to merge them together. For the best or the worse, I don't know, Kurt, but I like the idea that it can also benefit of the tremendous experience of the forums.

Maybe should there be a way to keep additons there, or move discussions here, but when they are pertaining, why couldn't they be in both places?

Jacob, the posting pace of the help files is way slower than the forum's. You would not be swamped.

If you have suggestions/objections, I strongly invite you to post them in the forum comments. I'm just a messenger, not a decision maker, but would like to find the best solution for all the parties involved. Some suggested for the threads to be visible to some person only (like it was the case with the help files), but that defeats the nice addition of the forum's hivemind.

Danke sehr for the good wishes, Kurt!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre, I linger here on the forums for ten or probably twelve or some more years.

Many questions may have been answered by the persons you mentioned (no need for decoration, by the way), many other questions have been answered by other participants. It's a mass intelligence. And it used to work without any combined controls or half-baked conceptions about how one could create a kind of merged knowledge. That won't work.

Give me a plane ticket to go to Adobe, California, and pay my daily rate, then I may do some more detailed suggestions about what Adobe could do better.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

"Pierre, I linger here on the forums for ten or probably twelve or some more years."

Yup, same for me on the Photoshop side of the house...

I wasn't there on the compuserve ones, but remember the home page with the forums listed on the left and right side for Windows and Mac.

I now use AI, AE, and Pr more and more, so I'm visiting those places more often. Sure nice to see that there is a good atmosphere on this place as well!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre,

I hope you will soon find the time to get stuck with Illy and ask something here; in other words: welcome.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Tak, Jacob!

With the help files and Real World Illustrator, I get most of my answers, but I will sure post some here, and know that you guys will amaze me, like with the convex gear question!

Also reading Vector Basic Training. Any other recommended reference book? I also intend to get some Lynda and Video2Brain training subscriptions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Community Help

For what it's worth (probably nothing to Adobe), I utterly despise the entire direction that Adobe has taken with its product documentation. It is ill-conceived and a disservice to software Customers.

I am convinced that the default web-centric behavior of the Online Help is a large part of the cause of so many completely bare-basic questions in this forum. No, not because "contributions" in the so-called "community" help system are now being auto-directed here (yet another step in the wrong direction), but simply because merely invoking the Help menu in these apps by default accesses the slow, tedious, and cluttered online help system. All that web-centric solution-looking-for-a-problem crap just frustrates users--new and experienced--who simply want to look up a feature's documentation while trying to learn a new program without the clear benefit of a proper physical manual, which Adobe cheaped-out on many years ago.

Adobe wants its users to "contribute" to its inadequate product documentation. (I, for one, refuse to.)

Now that the "community" nature of what is supposed to be the online authoritative documentation is causing it to become cluttered, Adobe's new brainstorm is to direct those things here, where Adobe almost never participates anyway.

The whole thing is like Adobe apps: Increasingly inelegant, overblown tedium for what should be simple and straightforward functionality.  Give me a thorough and efficiently-written, fast-launching, instantaneously-searching, standalone LOCAL help system any day, and make it the default, as it properly should be. (For one good example, see FileMaker Pro.). Those with time to waste can have all this other garbage.

Honestly, everything Adobe does these days seems to reflect a mindset that a Customer's whole world is about nothing but Adobe. I just need Adobe to make apps which do their jobs, catch up and stay up with the times functionally (primarily Illustrator), and otherwise stay out of my face as much as possible. I've got work to do without being continually hindered by Adobe's cumbersome licensing schemes, tedioius installers, inelegant interfaces with their over-glorification of ordinary functionality, and over-encumbered online-centric documentation.

I'm sure some suits somewhere think this is effective "mindshare" marketing. It just tends to drive me away. It increasingly irritates me every time I have to lauch an Adobe app.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

steve fairbairn wrote:

Not getting you at all, sorry. We are used to banter here. :-)

Why doesn't Anup know where he posted from?

Unfortunately you can't get away with that, as Pierre did include the crucial comma that disambiguates his meaning, separating off the subclause.

I assume that the posts appearing on the Help files are a direct feed of the ones on the forum, and it's unlikely to be possible to show some posts on the forum and not in the Help files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Rhiannon Miller

Unfortunately you can't get away with that, as Pierre did include the crucial comma that disambiguates his meaning, separating off the subclause.

And I still haven't got the faintest clue what the guy was on about, so there wasn't much to get away with. And there's certainly no disambiguation going on, neither from me (deliberately) nor from our new-found friend Mr. Shortjoy (who may be doing this unintentionally though I have no way of knowing). The whole issue is still as clear as mud.

If Anup is where he was when he first posted, why doesn't he know about the first post that he appears to have posted simultaneously to the question that was supposed to answer it? And if he isn't where he was, where is he now and why does it make any difference?

This whole thing sounds like a night train to nowhere, getting there with ever increasing velocity. Hence Wonga-Wonga birds.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence. I suspect our friend is not first-language English.

From the Help pages, you don't see the post from Community Help which says 'This question was posted in response to the following article'. That's why I was initially confused.

As to where Anup is now, I suspect he's long gone away in despair, wondering whether all web graphics should be pictures of t-shirts.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Rhiannon Miller

Thye only words Anup Rav appears to have uttered are: "What are the best practices for creating web graphics?"

So there's nothing there to indicate that he has any trouble with English.

Our other friend, whose name I have anglicized, may possibly be to blame for clumsily posting a question as an answer.

Maybe he's French or Canadian or something but he seems to have no serious trouble expressing himself.

At any rate I'm quite sure there was no malice involved and a bit of merriment never did any harm to anyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Oh, merriment has done plenty of harm over the centuries. Fortunately, we're getting better at finding more innocent sources. I'm satisfied that you, Steve, are not intending to cause any serious damage.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Community Help

Rhiannon,

I am sure no one in this thread has any but the best intentions.

Pierre and I are old friends, ever since I joined the worldwide weather forecast and seasonal greetings thread, which started many years ago as a joint attempt to call attention to and change the fact that there was Still no supervision in the French and Spanish forums, started by Pierre and Claudio and supported by myself (who saved it from archiving quite a few times) and others, and unfortunately killed by a sudden untimely and seemingly hostile archiving  when the fair forums gave way to what we have now about three years ago.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 24, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Hello Steve JusteEnfant (just paying it forward, totally agree about the merriment)

I don't know why you seem to think that I am the one that decided to migrate Community Help comments to their respective products forums, or at least just this particular one.

I am also sorry about the current wording that is confusing at best, I have forwarded the rightful comments about the inadequate wording. It is an Adobe-led decision. I'm just a mod, in community Help, and it the forums. Be aware that other Former Community Help mods will continue to monitor Community Help posts, or contribute to CH, creating threads in here as well.

Anup Rav, who seems to have made a hit and run, has no idea, from the Illustrator Community Help page where he posted a comment, that said post is replicated here. That is what I was trying to say. Sorry if I was short on time on that occasion and was not more verbose. I also made a sticky post explaining the migration of posts to clarify all this, and Vikrant, Adobe Employee has made an announcement.

I am fully aware that Anup's post lacks clarity, and does not require an answer if he does not clarify it. Such a post would have been deleted from the help files after a while.

But my point here was also to indicate that other similar threads are meant to appear in the forum, as the Community Help Managers have decided to make the change, and that those threads are meant to be more closely moderated, in order to keep the help files with relevant info only.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 24, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JET, I'll forward your comments re: the need for a fast help system to the Help folks I know of.

I am also wondering what happens when a product is installed on a web-less machine.

It seems that downloading the PDF version from the Community Help pages might be the best way in this case.

There is the Community Help application, but AFAIK, it needs to be loaded with initial content.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 24, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, I've got moderation powers also in the french Forums, and offered to help if Claudio notices a need for moderation (spam, etc.) in the Spanish ones. This might be a first baby step in the good direction... Thanks again for the vote of confidence, and the helpful explanations about how this sub-forum runs.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I was of course being intentionally obtuse.

The idea being to get someone to read what he had written and maybe consider the wording of things. If no-one complains nothing gets done.

And of course there's nothing wrong with forwarding reasonable questions from Community Help, but only genuine questions please.

I can see absolutely no point in dumping stuff onto this forum that can be found perfectly easily by pressing F1. It's all very old hat to many of us who had to learn things the hard way.

Real beginners should start off by printing out the Help files and having them as bedside reading.

That way they will have sweet dreams and know how to do things when they wake up refreshed next morning.

Cheers,

Etienne Belenfant

or words to that effect (Fair = fagr = beau). Pity my face doesn't match the name but I'm behind it so it doesn't bother me in the least :-)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points