• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Adobe provide a DataDirect JDBC upgrade path support Oracle 11g R2?

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've researched the forums, and apparently I'm the first one to be asking this question.  Others have asked about connecting earlier versions of ColdFusion to Oracle 11g, and I've seen that it was recommended to download JDBC drivers directly from Oracle.

We're upgrading from Oracle 9g to 11g R2, and we connect to Oracle with CF9.  The CF9 documentation states that the DataDirect drivers packaged with CF9 support Oracle 11g R1 (11.1). 

I need to find out whether that driver supports Oracle 11g R2 (Oracle 11.2) or whether I'll need to upgrade our JDBC driver?  Chances are if it supports R1, then R2 should work okay too... right?

Maybe not.  I put in a call to Data Direct, and they said we'd need to upgrade our JDBC drivers to at least v4.1 to support 11g R2.

Data Direct has released JDBC versions 4.1, 4.2 and 5.0 since the release of Adobe CF9, so I need to know whether Adobe offers an upgrade path for our JDBC drivers to a higher version or not - and I need to get this answer without having any ColdFusion support.  We shouldn't need to pay for a single incident case just to find out whether Adobe provides a JDBC upgrade path or not.

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Yup, I'm sure I've done it before and it'll be fine. All it means is that it won't necessarily support new features in 11.2, but I believe most of them are administrative and syntax additions, which aren't anything to do with the driver anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I'm sure I've done it before and it'll be fine. All it means is that it won't necessarily support new features in 11.2, but I believe most of them are administrative and syntax additions, which aren't anything to do with the driver anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't provide a JDBC upgrade path. But as Owain said, the drivers will likely work. If they don't, use the drivers that Oracle provides instead.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies.  I feel comfortable to advise our Oracle team that the light data queries from CF apps will most likely work with the existing 11g JDBC driver that comes packaged with CF9.  I will be able to confirm once they get the DEV environment finally set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation