• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Digital Editions to load borrowed library Ebooks onto my Nook reader as well as "returning" those books and then deleting them from my Nook. However, when I delete Ebooks, Digital Editions still leaves EPUB and ANNOT files associated with the books in the My Documents/My Digital Editions folder on my PC. I contacted Adobe technical support online chat to ask if those files should be automatically deleted from the PC by Digital Editions when books were deleted from the Nook and was told that the files on the PC would "get deleted in a few days." I told the support rep that I had files on the PC from deleted books that were a couple of months old. I asked the tech rep is perhaps I was doing something wrong in my sequence of: "returning" the book, then deleting the book in the library list in Digital Editions and then pointing to the Nook in Digital Editions and deleting the book there as well.  The tech rep then gave me a link to this forum to solve Digital Editions problems.  Not much help from him!  Now I am faced with an Adobe tech rep telling me that the EPUB and ANNOT files should be automatically deleted from the PC, but the files not being deleted.  He offered no explanation of what I might be doing wrong, but sent me here to find a solution.  Does anyone have any suggestion why my Digital Editions is not automatically deleting files as Adobe rep said it should?

Also, are there any Adobe tech folks monitoring this forum who might help clarify the issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE doesn't delete the files (either the document itself, the thumbnails, or the annots) ever.  That's up to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  I guess it was the Adobe tech rep that threw me for a loop.  You'd think they would know what the program is supposed to do.

Since I can see no reason to keep files for deleted and "returned" books, I wonder how one goes about making suggestions to Adobe to include the deletion of files added to the PC when the books are deleted from the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late to this thread but I had the same question as the original poster. After reading your answer, I was wondering if you knew the reasoning behind Adobe's decision to never delete the files from the hard disk. Just curious.

Thanks,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have no idea why nothing is deleted from the drive by Adobe. I do know that the answer given to the other poster was incorrect when Adobe claimed the files would be deleted "in a few days."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a safety measure: disk space is cheap, documents aren't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That my very well be true, but it still doesn't negate the fact that the Adobe Tech. Rep. said that the files would be deleted "in a few days."

I don't have a problem with deleting the files myself if I choose to, but I think the original question was why didn't Adobe do it automatically when items were "returned" or "deleted" and the answer was not related to position of it being a "safety measure."

I think by now we all know the files stay and it is up to us to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

However, I have a small problem with your answer. When you return a library book, the book becomes 'expired' in the ADE library/bookshelf and cannot be opened and read. The only way to read the book again would be to borrow it again from a library or buy the book. Would this not put a second copy of the book in the ADE library/bookshelf? Seems a bit redundant to me.

Thanks again for your reply,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never borrowed the same book again in EPUB format or even "renewed" an EPUB library book that I still had loaded on my reader, so I can't say exactly what would happen under those circumstances. I would assume that two copies would be on the disk if you bought the book or borrowed it again at a later date. What would happen if you "renewed" a library book that had not quite yet expired (if your library even allowed that) is something I wouldn't even guess about. Of course, if you "deleted" or "returned" the book via ADE the listing on the bookshelf would disappear even though the disk copy would still be there.

What the "small problem" with my answer might be I won't guess at either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred011,

Sorry about that, my reply was intended for Jim_Lester. These forums (fora?) don't thread very well.

Jim said "It was a safety measure: disk space is cheap, documents aren't." and I just was trying to point out that when you return a library book you can no longer open it. Therefore, what is the point of keeping it on your hard disk.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cliff,

OK.... gotcha'. We're in sync now.

Agreed. If you return and/or delete, you don't want the file any longer so the "safety" of keeping a file on disk is counter to your intentions.

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i have borrowed a book but coudnt download properly so I deleted in from Adobe digital app in my iPad ...when I'm trying again the open library shows as "u have already burrowed" ... What should I do to download that book again (burrow) . . Iits not showing in the Adobe digital editions application 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really late to convo. Why can't Adobe do what Overdrive does on my ipad which is give an option of RETURN AND DELETE. How can I contact Adobe and give them some suggestions for improvements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't think it's a matter of can't: I think that they just aren't doing that much with the application.  As I mentioned in my original post, I contacted the onlie support chat which resulted in a less than accurate answer.  Perhaps if they are contacted enough, they might actually incorporate what we have been discussing (i.e. delteting the book from the drive.)

I've learned to live with the minor inconvenience of manually deleting books and just do some "housekeeping" every so often.  I think most of us would appreciate the automatic deletion from disk when we delete a book.  I still find the process via ADE easier than sideloading and deleteing books.

Please update us if you do contact Adobe and get any new information pertaining to the status of any possible automatic delete feature in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Digital Editions::

>> not deleting files  - from your PC (windows or Mac) >>> how to fix that !!

1) Install the LATEST VERSION (Download link here)

2) Once installed >> make sure your are SIGNED IN to that Applications 

3) the ONLY WAY to check & make SURE you are CORRECTLY LOGGED is=

> clikc on HELP and then click on : "authoised information"  >> than you will see your email address etc

> if not there >> you are NOT LOGGED in >> and nothing you do regarding the "delete/add/remove file" WILL NOY WORK !!

4) so make sure the step 3 is working.!!

5) if you have step 3 done and correctly... than>>

6) make sure the "preferances" = Automaticly sync..... is TICKED!!  ( yes you MUST BE ONLINE!!)

7) once this is done (syn process is all done ....ie , you will see all books and covers fully displayed - if you dont see the covers - than your latop/pc is not fully syn'ed to the ADOBE SERVER!! - also note , often that ADOBE SERVER (for digital editions is very very very slow !!) so often @ busy times of day , the server is backed-up with carrying out the 'instructions' from millions of users ...... so its is often very PAINFULLY SLooooooowwww (and timewasiting!)

8) SO...if the PC/laptop/phone/tablet etc  you are on is NOT FULLY SYN'ed than that ADOBE SERVER , will not fully 'delete" your files... so even if you keep pressing "delete from library" ,,, and it shows on your device(phone/pc /tablet) etc , it hasnt been fully done! ie that "instructions' to delete that file from YOUR ACCOUNT in the ADOBE SERVER = NOT EVEN SEEN by that server due to "millions of "to-do" instructions , being not even seen by that server.

>> note this process is even more slower (delete instructions not done) if you on a VPN etc !!!

9) so how to fix this......??

a) leave Adone Digital Editions = logged in for longer time.... and if posssible , not of weekend!!...

b) delete ONE FILE at a time ........... and waite for the server to complete that file 'deletion' .....(note if you see that file COME BACK.... after you restart the ADE , the major reason= server didnt see your instructions!!

c) Apart from above process, and patiances (time wasted) there is not muh other way EXCEPT that ADOBE fix the "speed /re-calibtate the server for better performace" ie get bigger server world-wide .... etc >> not much users can do....................

>>>sorry I dont work for ADOBE <<<< but have done/solved lots of "library databse' issues (ie wasited time on ade issues!!) >>>

peace !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines