Skip navigation

Oh, well, another reason to skip up-grading. . .

Feb 16, 2012 12:58 PM

Latest reply: Lee Jay, Feb 18, 2012 7:08 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • John Blaustein
    524 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to RickBu

As Jeff Schewe pointed out above, Frank started a similar thread back in March, 2010.  As with this thread, well over a dozen users replied and offered carefully thought out suggestions on how to use Lightroom effectively and efficiently.  Then and now, the suggestions fell on deaf ears.  I am beginning to wonder why Frank bothers with Lightroom when it so clearly isn't the right program for his needs.

I have to say that I am really impressed by the passion so many dedicated users show here, and how much time so many people spend trying to help others.  Maybe it's threads like this that demonstrate what a strong community we all are.

Just my 2c....

John

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to John Blaustein

God Bless you all for sticking with this... guy... as long as you did. You can lead them, but you can't make them drink...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to Frank K.

Frank K. wrote:

That's right and it's why I didn't buy v3 after testing it and probably

won't buy v4 either.

Of course I'm consistent, I've been a photographer for 25 years and my

work style wasn't developed for the sake of Lightroom. I found Lr to be

a great digital lightbox for preliminary sorting and editing images and,

as I said way back then, I already have a filing method that works, I don't

need to completely revamp all my files to fit the peculiarities of

Lightroom.

I buy tools that do what I want done, not change what I want done to

suit the tool. If I'm building a wall, I'll buy a framing hammer; the

most beautiful cobbler's hammer in the world simply won't do. The "bug"

was an option and not the default; a check box entry. If it caused so

many problems, there must have been a lot of people like me who

preferred that way of working.

Your response and some of the others just sound like arrogance toward

Lr users.

Frank

First off ... you are not the only photographer who has been "professional" for a few decades ... We all could have forced ourselves into a workflow that met our needs individually and ignored the commonalities of the digital realm ... I know I had to step back and really evaluate my needs, goals and desires for my business model. Then investigate and test several possible options that could fufill those needs. After extensive testing, Lightroom came the closest to doing so.

I began this path shooting Kodachrome 64 in the 1970's ... long before even the concept of the possibility of digital capture ... there is no way in heaven or earth that the workflow I adopted then would be even remotely successful now. The term that comes to mind is "EVOLUTION" ... the secret to adaptation ... otherwise your species will never survive ...

To come here and demand that Adobe adopt a workflow that meets such a small subset of users is rather curios ... Of course you could purchase a quality framing hammer to build a wall ... but would you require Stanley, Craftsman, Eastwing, Dalluge or DeWalt to offer a model that will ONLY fit your hand?

Tools are wonderful ... and they are only as good as the carpenter, mechanic, or craftsman that uses them ...

So I pose this question ... is the fault in Adobe not honoring your request ... or your inability to evolve and make the best use of the tools available?

P.S. ... My first round of editing is done by using my best discretion in choosing when to depress the shutter release ... it frees up the "clutter" of unwanted files ....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

To come here and demand that Adobe adopt a workflow that meets such a small subset of users is rather curios ... Of course you could purchase a quality framing hammer to build a wall ... but would you require Stanley, Craftsman, Eastwing, Dalluge or DeWalt to offer a model that will ONLY fit your hand?

Tools are wonderful ... and they are only as good as the carpenter, mechanic, or craftsman that uses them

I'm pretty much sure Frank is a lost cause...like I said, his consistency, over time is remarkable even if his workflow is flawed. Doing ANYTHING to your ONLY original file is foolish. It's only by luck this has never bitten him yet.

The first thing anybody should do with an original file from a card is duplicate it to an HD and verify the file is good. Smart people will duplicate the file in multiple locations prior to reformatting the card. But I guess Frank doesn't go along with that practice. For him, Photo Mechanic or some other ingest app would be better than LR. Heck, even Bridge and Camera Raw would work better than LR for him.

Frank, do what you want to do...but I can assure you, the short period of time that LR allowed importing from a card without duplicating was a mistake. One that won't be repeated...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to Frank K.

Okay.  When I got to the part about his crippling fear of writing to, and deleting from, his hard drive, I came to the same conclusion as everyone else - that he's an idiot.  But then I started thinking about it, and thought to myself that nobody could be this big of an idiot.  I honestly think that we've all been punked.  Seriously.  He's been yanking our chain all day, and I totally fell for it.  Well played Frank. 

Let's declare this thread officially dead.

Oh.  One more thing.  If we haven't been punked, then I stand by my original conclusion. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to Frank K.

No, Robo, I think he is actually an idiot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to Frank K.

Frank K. wrote:

My reference to arrogance was the attitude that Adobe knows what's best and anybody who disagrees can essentially go to hell ("get over it", "ain't gonna happen" and the other similar remarks).

Which is exactly like accusing car manufacturers of arrogance because we have to (and have to learn to) turn the wheel to steer, press pedals to accelerate and brake, and so on.

By your "logic" you'd presumably want to be able to choose to steer with the accelerator and change gear with the volume knob on the radio...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

I knew there had to be a car analogy in here somewhere. Doesn't everything always end in a car analogy?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

I knew there had to be a car analogy in here somewhere. Doesn't everything always end in a car analogy?

That, or a reference to Hitler. (See Godwin's Law)

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Usually followed by some analogy with Netflix which means nothing to those of us outside the US.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

This whole thread has been so (I'm not quite sure what the word is) curious? fascinating? mesmerizing? befuddling?, we've actually been discussing it in a 'meta-thread' on another forum.

Rather than drag in Hitler, or Netflix, or cars, or 'Wikipedia ends up at Philosophy', I'd point to some interesting research described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

which I find explains most of what I encounter in the realm of intellectual discourse.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Brad Snyder

From the link:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others"

Yep...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

My favorite quotation from the link: "poor performers do not learn from feedback suggesting a need to improve."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to Brad Snyder

Thank you. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

From the link:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others"

Yep...

A long way of saying "the more I know, the more I know what I don't know".

Or, a derivative is my favorite bumper sticker of all time:  "Hire a teenager...while they still know it all".

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points