Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

About PULLOUT TABS

Feb 19, 2012 8:50 AM

There's a nice PULLOUT TABS thing in the DPS Tips I downloaded on the ipad

But I can't make it work, I must be missing something.

Is there a more detailed tutorial (video ?) somewhere about this ? I searched but did not find anything so far.
Thanx a lot !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to jbalmain

but what we really really need is the ability to pull out from the left an bottom of the page, I hope the rumour of this being available in the next sprint is true!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 8, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to mobly

It is true. When v19 releases on Monday, you'll be able to use the document position of the content frame as the starting point. In testing, I've created pull tabs from every side.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hurray !

And is it also possible to hide the scroll bar ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 8, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Yes, there is an option for hiding scroll bars. You can also specify horizontal only or vertical only for the scrollable frame, so if your content is slightly too wide or tall, you can avoid a wiggle effect.

By the way, the v19 tools are tentatively scheduled for Monday. The release may go out a few days later depending on various factors.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

You just made my day, and any delay is not going to spoil that !

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Peter, have you also seen:

http://fvdgeest-dtp.blogspot.com/2012/02/tabbladen-in-dps-een-werkende -oplossing.html

More show-up then pull out, but hey, it also works ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob, does this mean that you will be able to grab only the object within the in the container?

(I have only tested in the desktop preview) But when I try to grab and pull the content placed within the container, I can also grab any blank space within the container shape. This is obviously pretty frustrating if you have a large pull out tab like in the demo, as you can't put any interactive elements in this space.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 9, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to stevehaslip

No, you still have to create the same "anchor pin" workaround, which leaves a dead space.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

And this dead space is still dragable?

So there is no way to create effective pull out "tabs" rather than a giant button the total size of the container shape?

From an interaction point of view this strikes me as a little odd and potentially confusing for the user, to accidentally grab an invisible shape. Are there any plans for this to change in upcoming builds?

Please understand that I'm not trying to complain or argue, I really appreciate your help. It's just that everytime I try to sell using DPS for use in a project things like this result in my colleagues dismissing DPS it because these fundamental issues harm the overall usability of the document.

Thanks again for your great (and quick) reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

So in other words: the starting position can have an XY value,

but only with the panning elements covering the cropping area,

and not with a negative value ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 9, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Let's come back to this discussion early next week when the tools come out.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi,

I'm trying to make a pullout tab with pan&zoom, but this option is always off on my Overlay Creator. I only get it using Scrollable Content option. Does anybody knows why I have this problem?

Many tks!

Obs.: all my tools are uptaded to the new DPS release.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 19, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to renatakuhn

You want to use the Scrollable Content option, not Pan & Zoom, to create pull tabs. You still need the dummy frame. Here are the basic steps (from memory):

1. Create the content frame, which includes the grouped panel and tab.

2. Create the container frame the same size as the content frame (panel plus tab).

3. Drag the content frame and the container frame into position. For example, to pull out from the left side of the page, the left side container frame is aligned to the left page edge, and the content frame is mostly in the pasteboard -- only the tab is on the page.

4. Create an invisible dummy frame against the far edge of the container frame (in our left slideout example, the dummy frame is aligned to the right side of the container frame). Group the dummy frame with the content frame objects.

5. Select the container frame and choose Scrollable Objects in the Overlay Creator panel. Choose the sliding direction (horizontal or vertical work best to avoid wiggling), turn off scroll bars, and choose document position.

I show this in my DPS Tips app, but the new version is still in review.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi, Bob,

I was trying to do with Pan&Zoom like in your DPS Tips app.

As I could not do it, I tried with Scrollable and it worked.

Many tks,

R

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to jbalmain

Bob, was reviewing the Pullout Tabs sample on the DPS Tips app (Advanced Overlays). You show an example of the tabs pullout and then a scrolling text within this tab (Beets, Berries, Asparagus, ect...)

When I was trying the replicate this, I was able to get the tab to pullout, but the scrolling text did not work and it was reduced down in size?Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 10.22.57 AM.png. I have attached a screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 6, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to tom d. design

Other people have reported this shrinking issue with nested objects, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. Perhaps you could send me the InDesign source file so that I can run it by a tester. bbringhu@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 6, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

We figured out the cause. The nested scrollable frame is completely on the pasteboard. If the pull-out tab frame is dragged so that any part of the nested vertically scrolling frame is on the page, the problem goes away.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob, that did the trick!

Would be nice if things could be built and nested on the pastebord. Makes things easier when grouping/cutting/and paste

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 9, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to tom d. design

Right, the tester reported this as a bug. With scrollable frames in particular, you need to be able to work in the pasteboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob, so you can't pullout more than one pagewidth, when you want to do a 2-way scroll?

I wanted to make a pullout that's 1000 mm wide, with different text-blocs next to each other, that scroll seperately from each other. But only the first ones, that are on the pasteboard, sroll. The rest is schrinked...

Or is there a sollution to do this?

Thanks for your answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to marijp

Did you try to enlarge the pasteboard?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:02 AM   in reply to Adi Ravid

Ari, I meant page instead of pasteboard.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points