Skip navigation
Hans Preuer
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5.1 shuts down my Computer

Feb 19, 2012 9:05 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5.1 #crashed #300dpi

Hi,

I write this here, because the Photoshop Macintosh Forum is set to read only, where I found a similar thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3647554). I use Master Collection CS5.5 with all the latest patches on an iMac 27" (mid 2010) with 16 GB Ram, 2.93 GHz Core i7. When I worked in Photoshop, always after 2-4 minutes I got immediately a blank screen and the iMac was powered off. Someone in the thread said, that's always if you work with a resolution of 300 dpi. I remembered, that this was the first time, I used 300dpi, becaue normaly I work only with 72 to 150 dpi. So I opend a new file with 150dpi and I could do the whole work WITHOUT crashes!

I also think that this is normaly a memory problem with bad RAM, but WHY is it only triggerd with 300dpi? I will do a Test also with 400dpi so I know, I can only work to 299 dpi, or I can only NOT wort WITH 300dpi.

Hans

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

Does not make any sense to me as dpi stands for dots per inch which is a spec for printing documents.  Even if you confused it with ppi, or pixels per inche it makes no sense either as image size is what your are really concerned about.

That is measured by xxxx pixels High by xxxx pixels Wide. 

Must be something going on here that is just a coincidence of what you are seeing.  Seems like you machine is more than enought to handle anything thrown at it.

The big key here is what is the graphics card?  That will determine how the computer handles large images.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

The thread you refer to is all about hardware problems, mainly bad RAM. All the posters resolved their problems by swapping the RAM sticks.

The 300 ppi was mentioned once, but in the context of large files. There's nothing special about the number 300 - and as Curt points out, it wouldn't have made any sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

What are you doing to change from a 150 ppi image to a 300 ppi image?

Check on the image size window and you will see if you just change the ppi the image size changes also.

Should be able to handle it with your computer.

Check and see if computer reading all the ram you have installed.  That is not a 100% test, but a start.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

I concur with the others that you likely have hardware problems.  It's possible you have a bum driver (not impossible, but less likely).  Nothing the software does should ever cause a system shutdown like that.

Doesn't the OSX system have some logging somewhere that would tell you why the system shut down, and maybe even provide some info about what may be going wrong with the hardware?

I'd run whatever diagnostics have been provided with your system ASAP.  RAM does fail and hardware does go bad!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

PPI and image size are directly related.  On my pic of 96 ppi the image size is 1525 x 1031 or 4.5 m

If I change the ppi to 200 the image size changes to 3177 x 2148 for a new size of 19.5 m

So by changing ppi you are changing the image size.  A double with quadruple the size of the image, and that is where you are runnig into problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

If the whole computer is shutting down, you're looking at bad hardware, an OS bug, or a low level driver bug.

But most often it turns out to be defective RAM, and sometimes bad motherboards.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

Photoshop works quite well on machines with 64 Gig of RAM (or the 32 Gig I'm using here).

Yes, that sounds like you might have a bad motherboard.

Glad that you knew to try swapping out the RAM -- most users just try some software RAM tester (which are useless).

Odds are that other software that moves a lot of memory quickly would also crash (After Effects, Premiere, etc.) if you tried them.

But the fact that you have a repeatable kernel panic and machine shutdown means that it's hardware, and you've done a good job of narrowing it to the motherboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Hans Preuer

If openGL affects your performance it would indicate your graphics card is not up to the task, or more likely the dirvers are not up to the task.

Sometimes the latest drivers are buggy, and a roll back to previous version will work.  Not sure on a Mac how this is done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points