Skip navigation
Andy 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

Feb 18, 2012 7:59 AM

Tags: #size #disc #i7 #os #2600k

Dear All

Thanks to your answers here I think I was able to improve my build for cs5 editing. I chose a better PSU and a (hopefully) better case:

CPU  i7 2600k

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro

GPU Onboard, later nvidia 550 or 560

RAM 16 GB, made of 4 times DDR3 4GB/1600 CL9 Kingston KHX

HARD DRIVE (see question below)

OS Windows Premium 64 bit

Cooler Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

PSU Corsair TX750W M Modular 80+ Bronce

Case cooler-master-cm690-ii-advanced (yes, I know it could be bigger...;-)

I know they are not the "optimum" but I think they will perform "fine", won´t you think?

(As a side note, being a complete novice to all this, I am still asking myself how is it that brands like Asus and HP sell PC´s with i7 2600 processors

in my local shopping center with small cases and no extra fans/fan openings at all, and probably really low-level PSUs - I mean, will these explode after a few weeks, or won´t they just work fine for a few years if one doesn´t overclock

and of course accepts all disadvantages that come with such a "package" opposed to a on-purpose-built PC? These have warranties, too after all. In doubt, I´ll go with the above configuration, but the thought that I could a "cheesy" i7 from the mall,

still be able to do "okay" video editing, and buy almost a Samsung Note or a budget camcorder for the difference, that thought is kind of depressing.)

Now my question regarding the OS drive: General wisdom over here has it than one should choose a "fast, smaller disc" for the OS.

Okay, so I decided NOT to use an SSD at the moment and NOT to go for some extra-speedy and more expensive expensive small drive.

I "just" wanted to use an "inexpensive" Seagate 500GB drive with 7200 rpm and 16 mb of cache.

It might not be the perfect way but it´s the way I´ve chosen for the moment. Now, I wonder if, from this perspective, the "make the OS disc small" maxime still counts here, or in other words,

i can as well take the 1 TB version of this disc and get more space for my money, even if I use it for storage or whatever - my thinking is that independently from the other discs I´ll add to my

system, I could still benefit from that extra space and the better GB per Euro-ratio.

In one sentence: Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

Here are some disks I can choose from, maybe you recommend one? (don´t know how much 16mb, 32 mb or 64 mb of cache matters here)

1TB Hitachi SATA2 32MB 7200RPM

1TB Seagate SATA3 32MB 7200RPM

1TB Seagate SATA3 64MB 7200RPM

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Andy 2012

You will never use more than say 50 GB on the OS disk, unless you really mess up your system, so what is the benefit of having 900+ GB of space laying waste instead of 400+ GB?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Andy 2012

I agree with Harm.  Ideally you don't want to be using your edit rig for anything but editing, and anything you need to store for a project should be going on a dedicated drive, not the System drive.  So a 1TB will be largely a waste of space.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Andy 2012

Maybe I get your sentence wrong, Harm, but do you mean that "using more than 50 GB on the OS disk" equals to "messing up my system"?

Correct. The OS disk is for the OS & programs, nothing more. Data go on other disks. Pagefile goes on another disk. Media cache goes on another disk. Etc.

considering the fact that still most PCs out there do only have one disc

That is OK for gamers and office applications, but not for editing. For editing the absolute minimum is two disks, but to avoid slow response times, stickyness, freezing and the like, three different disks are the practical minimum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to Andy 2012

Andy,

I would say it depends...

What is your plan for your "video drives / array(s)"?

For example, if you were going to have only a 2x1TB RAID 0 for all of your video work, then a 1TB (or even larger / faster 2TB or 3TB) could double-duty as your render output drive, media cache, and media cache DB drive.

However, if you have a full complement of video drives for Premiere Pro (as Jim and Harm both have), then a smaller boot drive would suffice.

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to JEShort01

could double-duty

A lot of things "could" work, even a single drive.  But it's far from ideal.  If you're building from scratch, better to do it right from the beginning.  That means at least three drives as a practical minimum, with little or nothing more than the OS and Programs on the System drive.

Does it have to be that way?  No.  But it is better that way.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Andy 2012

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Andy 2012

I usually limit my OS drive to 320Gb... That give plenty of room for OS and PGMs...

If the drive is larger, I split it to a second drive called: DOWNLOAD...   

This drive becomes the dumping ground for all downloads...  

This way, your OS Drive doesn't get filled with downloads you will forget about in 30 minutes.... Organizes your downloads in a way that you know it is not part of OS,

and in general.... makes backups of the OS less 'crap-free'.  It also makes me look more organized than I really am! !

On Laptop my drives are:

C: Boot OS

D: Optical DVD/R

E: Media

F: Download

G: External ESATA Raid0  (optional)

H: Exterenal BluRay Burner (optional)

On my Desktop (server)

C: 146Gb Boot OS (SCSI 320)

D: DVD/R

E: Media Backup SATA (Download here, too)

F: Raid 0  Media drive (SATA)

G: External BluRay Burner

H: Preview Files (SATA)

J: USBV3  (experiments being done with this... Considering using as Preview Files)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Jan Janowski

Making a STATIC partition for file storage is not bad, just do not try and use that partition for video files you will use during editing... that is worse than having a single drive for software and video files, since the one set of read/write heads not only has to jump to a new place, your OS has to keep track of a separate 'room' in the warehouse that is your hard drive

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Agreed.... Download is labeled that way for that very reason.. Just to keep a convienent location for download of program  files only... which makes it easier to clean up aftereward... as opposed to on the C: drive.

Media is a different physical drive in the laptop (as well as Desktop)....

With the external Raid (Laptop) taking over these duties when it is connected.... and the internal Raid doing that on Desktop.

But since the external raid is not always availble, that's why the 2nd physical media drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points