Skip navigation
Alleycat46
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 Not Including Sidecar Files in Backup Destination

Feb 19, 2012 3:08 PM

I've noticed that when I import files (NEF's) into LR4 and back them up to a second location (external hard drive) the sidecar files are included in the primary destination folder but not in the backup folder. I checked my LR3 backup folders and the same thing is happening.

I'm sure that there is an explanation for this, but I'll be @#$%^& if I know what it is.  Does someone have an answer?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to Alleycat46

I am not sure if I understand what you are doing or intend to do.

LR does not do any backup.

In import you are offered to have the files copied into a 2nd location, but these pertains to original files. There are no sidecar files yet.

You get sidecar files once you save your develop and other metadata changes back to files, but that is after import only.

This no longer has any link to the 2nd import location.

Which is consistent to LR3.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

XMP Sidecar files may exist at the time of import, either because the files were edited in Bridge/ACR or Lightroom, itself, or another XMP-creating program such as GeoSetter that can create an XMP with GPS tags in it.

Whether those XMP sidecar files should be copied to a secondary location on import remains an open question.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Alleycat46

You might have set your catalog preferences to autoamtically write change back to files.

Then sidecars will be created as LR does not write into NEFs.

If you just apply e.g. a metadata preset for copyright the sidecars will be there as soon as you can look after import.

Disable this auto-write in favour of you triggering <ctrl><s> for selected files once you deem them ready to receive the LR catalog updates and you will see sidecar files only then. Or none at all if you would convert NEF to DNG, as this format has a storage space inside, like a jpg.

Sidecars or writing back metadata into the file is only needed as additional safety in case your LR catalog would no longer be used or if other applications should be made aware of your LR instructions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points