Skip navigation
philippejbruno
Currently Being Moderated

Option to annotate PDF without modifying it

Sep 27, 2011 10:50 AM

Tags: #acrobat #annotations #comments #nonintrusive

I recently made the move to an almost paperless environment by purchasing a tablet PC. In my work, I need to review lots of PDF documents and take notes when I read them. I believe it would be nice to be able to take notes while consulting an eBook or some other document but WITHOUT making any modification to the original documents (in particular when the PDF is protected or very large). One simply way Acrobat engineers could implement this would be to store the comments and annotations in a separate file that gets simply overlaid on the original document (with matching page numbers). If the file is absent, the documents load normally, otherwise the comments are simply overlaid.

I know that some third party applications offer some annotation possibilities, but I don't find it convenient to switch to another type of reader (or worst, import or convert the PDF) for the purpose of annoating the PDF document in a non intrusive way.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Philippe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to philippejbruno

You can annotate with the pen drawing tool, but it is clunky and the issue has not been addressed in several versions of Acrobat. I too would like to annotate in Acrobat, but use PDF Annotator instead so that it does the job needed. With the pen tool, you can write. But dotting and I or crossing a T often leads to you accidentally selecting the graphic of the text you have been writing and moving it, instead of doing the dot or cross. A real pain.

So fixing the annotation capabilities would be great.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to philippejbruno

PDF Annotator is a tool used by many educators for online grading when needed. It acts like a writing tool would be expected to act and you can simply turn over the pen to erase. Of course, I am talking about use on a tablet (I guess that is going to have to be called a convertable since Steve Jobs changed the meaning of tablet and called the slate a tablet). So if you have a tablet, the markup is rather natural. You view a single page at a time and step through the document. I use it for paper reviews also, but actually tend to the comment tool a bit more there. Basically, PDF Annotator adds a markup layer of the written comments as a graphic layer. You might want to look it up on the web.

I would much rather do all of this work in Acrobat, but the tools just don't meet the need.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to philippejbruno

Enjoy the beer for me, particularly since I don't drink. Glad it works for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points