Skip navigation
MA MOHR
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 and using Beyond Trust

Feb 17, 2012 11:11 AM

Has anyone had any experience/luck running CS4 PPro/AME/Encore without admin rights? If you got it to work... HOW? Our IT dept is taking away admin rights and functionality of these 3 is greatly diminished (like I can't get a finished product out of the PC). They keep talking about using a product from Beyond Trust. Anyone know anything about it? I need to get them to solve the problem they created fast so I can get back to work or prove to them the ONLY solution is admin rights.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to MA MOHR

I've never heard of Beyond Trust, but I have read a LOT of messages concerning trying to run PPro/Encore without Administrator rights

Bottom line... won't work... tell your boss to tell the boss of IT to send their "expert" to watch while you try to use the program with/without rights

Actually seeing the error message, or outright non-working components, may convince them

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to MA MOHR

Seems to me the simple solution might be to take the edit rig off the network.  Then IT won't have to worry about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to MA MOHR

Hi Ma,

I actually work for BeyondTrust and can tell you all about it.  The software is called PowerBroker Desktops, and it enables IT to remove admin rights from the users, but still allow certain applications to be "elevated" with precisely the privileges they need to work properly.  Unfortunately, many applications are still designed with certain drivers, kernel extensions, files, or registry keys that are installed into privileged parts of the windows system. Once configured, though, PowerBroker is completely transparent to both the user and the elevated application, which for all intents and purposes is still running with admin rights. 

There's no performance impact at all to the application or the user (since the only time the PowerBroker software is involved is when the application is starting), so it should have no impact at all on your editing rig, and still allow you to remain on the network (and joined to the domain) so that you can access all the relevant network resources. 

If you have any questions about it, please feel free to drop me a line: bgrubin@beyondtrust.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to MA MOHR

provide the reason

Just try burning a dual-layer disk in Encore without Admin rights.

It simply will not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to MA MOHR

Oh, well... the first thing you need to do (maybe via IQ test?) is prove to IT that "you" are not an idiot like the other people they have to "protect" from themselves

I retired 19 days ago (just have to mention that!) but in my previous job I knew several people in IT

They did deal with a certain number of computer idiots, so had global rules in place because they just did not have time to exempt certain people

I still say you need to have your boss talk to their boss, and explain that you are being paid to do a job, and they are making it so you can't do that job

Of course, the risk there is that if IT has more "power" than your boss, and that means if you can't do your job, there IS no more job

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to MA MOHR

Please do update the thread. I had not heard of Beyond Trust, so could not help, but Benjamin certainly seems like a source for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to MA MOHR

That My Documents aspect, has tripped up many folk, runnning on a network. I have not read of any "solution" to it, but to allow Premiere to "have its way." Maybe others have gotten a workaround from Adobe, but I've just not seen it.

Glad that things are getting better. Unless on has spent some of their IT time with graphics/NLE workstations, it's a whole different ballgame for them. Most IT folk are really good with other programs on a network, but then when they encounter a graphics/NLE workstation, they are out of their element, as there are some specific requirements. One client, the only graphics person in that corporation, always had issues with her IT department messing up her Adobe programs. They wanted to do everything on her machine, just like the other 1000 computers that they administered. She would sneak me into her office, sort of like Mission Impossible, and I would set up her Adobe programs. That would work fine for a while, until IT did any sort of update, and then they would undo all of the Adobe settings, and her computer would be useless, until I climbed down the rope from the vent, and "fixed" it for her. Her IT department knew the rest of the network well, but had never bothered to even look at her Adobe programs, for their unique requirements - just not something that they wanted to do, for just one machine.

Good luck, and maybe a bottle of 25 year old Single Malt Scotch to the IT guy?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points