Skip navigation
eddueno
Currently Being Moderated

How can I preserve non-alphabetical layer order from Illustrator to After Effects?

Feb 20, 2012 5:12 PM

Tags: #illustrator #after #effects #layers #order

I'm using Illustrator and After Effects CS5. When I import an Illustrator file into After Effects, I'd like to maintain the order of the layers as they were in Illustrator, but they always come in alphabetically. How do I keep the original order from Illustrator?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to eddueno

The comp is always in the same order, the order in the project panel folder that is created is not and there's no way to force it to be. It makes no difference to the project.

If it's really important to you to have the layers in the Project Panel Folder in the same order as the layers in Illustrator File and the comp you can adopt a more friendly naming convention in AI. I always create my layers in Illustrator using Cmnd/Ctrl + Alt/Option + l because this gives me the opportunity to name the layer when it's created. With a little advanced planning and a published naming convention you'll have just what you want in no time. You could even write an action that automatically created and named layers for your default projects.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to eddueno

AE will retain the layer order in your comp, if you import your AI file as a comp. It doesn't do so in the project panel, because there it's simply irrelevant - any AI layer becomes a global asset that can be shared in a million comps if you so desire. As Rick suggested, consider a specific naming convention like preceding everything with a numerical or alphabetical prefix, if a specific order is important.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points