Skip navigation
Ondrej Vyhlidal
Currently Being Moderated

How to create instalation package of plugin

Feb 20, 2012 12:33 AM

Tags: #indesign #plugin #prefix #instalation

Hi all,

I would like to know, if is necessary to create some instalation package of my plugin, or it just can be copied to another computer? I have prefix id registered within adobe site, on my mac is everything ok, but when i try to copy release build to another mac with indesign it just gave me error message.

thanks for the answers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

No it is not necessary to create an installer for the plugin, unless it does not have a dependecny on something that needs to be copied onto the deployment machine. What kind of error are you getting?

It might be because you may be using a third party framework which you are not copying onto the new machine.

Manan Joshi

- Efficient InDesign Solutions -

MetaDesign Solutions

http://metadesignsolutions.com/services/indesign-development.php

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Does the plugin have a dependency on any third party framework, does this release plugin load on your development machine?

Manan Joshi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Try loading the release plugin of any sample plugin that ships with Indesign SDK on the deployment machine. If that loads on that machine, then either there is a problem in the project setting of your project or there is some dependency for the plugin to load that you are missing.

Last thing you could do is install Xcode on the machine and try to debug the problem.

Manan Joshi

MetaDesign Solutions

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Make sure you are using the correct version of Indesign to load your plugin, for ex: CS5 plugins are not compatible with CS5.5 and vice versa.

Secondly you can debug plugin's using release version of Indesign too, you just need to create the debugging symbols for it. There are restricted debugging support on the release build, in this case you just need to look into the gdb console for any messages.

Manan Joshi

MetaDesign Solutions

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Show/inspect package contents on both destination and source plugin. Probably the internal links are broken.

If so, forget about SMB shares, SFTP or what else you used. ZIP the plugin using Finder's "Create Archive" ...

Dirk

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

The build / output location is irrelevant. I build straight into a subfolder of the plug-ins folder.

Btw, this is just a matter of taste but I would not dump my sources into the SDK folder - it is no fun if you have to support multiple versions of InDesign.

File system links are broken during transport - having a look at the package of the source plugin that works on the development machine should be the proof.

If you are not scared by a command line, you can also use terminal:

ls -l /drag/your/plugin/into/terminal/window/to/produce/its/path...

If you need to transfer a whole folder, use ZIP on that.

I forgot to mention an alternative, the Disk Utility can be used to create DMG files from folders.

XCode also includes a tool "PackageMaker" that creates whole installer packages.

Dirk

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

I assume my repeated suggestion to use ZIP at least as proof has also failed.

Is the target machine a plain OSX installation that you took out of the box yourself, or could you be fighting some antivirus software?

Dirk

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points