• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPS file imported into InDesign only partially shows up

Enthusiast ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CS4 on an iMac. I have an InDesign page and a white Illustrator logo (also created in CS4). I have a photo on my Indesign page. I want to put the logo on top of it. It looks fine in InDesign. When I export it as a pdf, however, only parts of the eps logo show up. I checked my Illustrator file to be sure it was all the same color (white... and it is). I also used the same logo in a Quark file and exported it... and it exported just fine. So why would part of my logo show up and the rest NOT show up in an InDesign-created pdf? It's driving me crazy!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Again…go back and check that white is not set to overprint.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reopen the logo in Illustrator and save as an AI (Adobe Illustrator) file, replace in InDesign. Re-export as PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot you can import .ai files into InDesign (I'm a long-time Quark user trying to switch to InDesign). I did that, but it didn't help. It's still only partially showing up. I've tried NOT converted fonts to outlines in the logo... I've tried different fonts... didn't work. However, when I make it NOT white, it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again…go back and check that white is not set to overprint.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! That was it! I'd forgotten about the whole overprinting thing. Sheesh. Thank you so much.

Oh... I wanted to ask... why is it better to use .ai files instead of eps files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things. Output is accurate and fine in such cases. But if there are issues arising in the PDF and EPS files are used, it can usually be corrected by using the AI file.

EPS files can have issues with transparency that the AI files can often avoid. I don't know how complicated or not your EPS file was, but the below show an EPS and an AI file made of white text placed onto an illustration. The screen captures are from their respective PDFs.

Take care, Mike

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I appreciate your help and explanation!

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem (I think) with an Illustrator drawing imported to InDesign.  Poor InDesign gets confused, and printed two copies of the page (after hanging up the printer for 20-30 minutes), with only part of the imported drawing and none of the text typed into InDesign!  If I knew how to find the overprinting, and what settings it needs to be, that would help.

I am using CS5 on a PC, and the file started out with a photo of my hand copied to it, and then I created layers to draw over it so I'd have a decent illustration.  I just now trashed the photo, thinking that might be the problem, but nothing has changed.  So those overprint settings would really be helpful to know.

And to tell you the truth, I don't even know if my Illustrator file is EPS or not.  I'm guessing that it isn't, because I opened an Illustrator file.  That whole thing has eluded me for years; I have yet to get a really clear explanation on it.

My printer just "burped" again, but nothing's come out.  Gosh, I want to shut everything down and go to bed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shut everything down for the night and get a fresh start tomorrow...or reboot and then see if you can export a PDF and print it.

Without a screen shot of the page, the layers panel open, etc., no one knows what you are working with.

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2013 Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I knew how to make a screen shot, I'd do it.  (It's taken me long enough just to figure out how to post here, but that's okay now, obviously.)

Here is what I do know: In the Links panel, one of the drawings on the InDesign page had a red dot with a ? inside it, so I got curious about it.  I wondered if >maybe< I'd done File\Place to the identical file on my external hard drive, and think that was the case.  The ? is gone, but here I am, sitting and waiting again for a page that is taking forever to print, and may not print all of the page.  Each drawing is 1mB is size (others are larger and went right through).

Anyway, I dtiched both drawings and started over with File\Place, and there's no change.  So I'm thinking something is going on in Illustrator.

There really isn't anything unusual that I can detect from the Info at the Links panel for these drawings.  I can say that the paths are both from my computer, not the Ext. HD.  (Or is that really clear?  Sometimes it's hard to know where I am.

I cancelled the printing (already got almost all the pages), and then prepared a .pdf in InDesign.  But after clicking on Print for just that page, I >think< what I got was the stuck page from the cancelled print job.  My printer light is saying something else is coming, and I'll guess it's the .pdf, but it looks like another long wait.  Must cancel, as I have other stuff to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A red circle with a question mark means ID can't find the linked file...

What is the name of the file, including the file extension?

To make a screen shot, press the Print Screen button on your keyboard to capture what's there on your screen, then open Photoshop, create a new file (accept the size which should be clipboard dimensions), then Edit > Paste. Flatten the image and save as .png or .jpg.

Come back to the forum web page for this thread, press Reply, then click the little camera icon. Browse to the image you saved in Photoshop, then click Insert Image and your screen shot will be embedded in the post, like this:

CameraIcon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red circle/? are gone, but printing this one page is still hanging up.

The name of the files are "fingers--respacingL.ai" and "fingers--respacingR.ai".  Both are listed to be formatted as .pdf files, but they were placed from Illustrator files, not .pdf files.

Last of all, I do not know what the Print Screen button looks like; I've never used it before.

Update: I took both hand drawings off the page and printed just that page.  It didn't print right away, but I'd say within a minute.  Then I put the L drawing on the page with File\Place.  It took 12 minutes to print.  (Which means I wasn't imagining 30 minutes as a print time.)

I've taken L out and put R in.  It may be another 12 minutes, but we'll see.

Fwiw, these drawings underwent File\Save As some time ago, because I needed to edit the fingers from the original drawing.  I went to a file where the original is, printed it, and it came out in about 15 seconds.  And THAT file still has the photo on a layer in AI. In fingersR and fingersL, I added another layer to redo the fingers.  Could there be something lurking in those layers in AI?  (I hope I don't have to start all over again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, those drawings are Illustrator format, which is good.

The Print Screen button on a standard windows keyboard should be in the top row, probably on the left end of cluster of three keys to the right of the "F" keys, and it says Print Screen right on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Peter, now the Forums are telling me I’m not allowed to post! I was doing a bunch of research to troubleshoot this, and maybe had the Edit area open for too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you got logged out. If you are not able to log in again, delete any cookies for forums.adobe.com and Adobe.com, the close and restart your browser and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution FOUND!

Last night (on the way home from our church's Easter Vigil service), I asked myself what one thing I might do to stop the hang-up.

The one thing I hadn't done was rotate the image in Illustrator >before< importing it to InDesign.  I don't know why that would even make a difference, but the InDesign page came through the printer in less than a minute with all typed text intact to boot.  The source illustration in the front of the book wasn't rotated at all and so wasn't giving problems

How could it be that rotating BOTH the container and the hand images would delay the printing?  I also wonder if I should have simply selected each hand image >inside the container< and rotated only the image?  (I'm not about to experiment with that because I got the result I wanted.)  There's something going on there.  I can think of other objects I've rotated in InDesign, but then I drew them in InDesign, too.

Any insights?  And thanks to all who took a look at this issue.  I'm glad to know you are all here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotation does cause a lot of recalculation during output, but I'm a litle surprised it caused things to go missing. Did you at any point try exporting to PDF and printing that from Acrobat or Reader, instead? That ofpten works better than a direct print from ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think >one< of the reasons text or parts of graphics went missing is because I cancelled the print job due to the printing taking so long.  BUT, I also got two pages of the same page when I only asked to print one!

I hadn't tried exporting to .pdf.  It's one more step to do every time I print.  But as it is, everything is fine now.  (Which brings up a question I need to ask at the Acrobat forum!)

Thanks for staying with me on this, Peter.  I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using EPS. Save it as AI and place that.

Oh…and make sure you didn’t set any of the white to overprint by accident.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines